Pod Your Reef

Failed Hammer Split

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

Hey everyone,

You probably know I haven't having the best of luck with corals as of late. Unfortunately, my splatter hammer appears to have suffered a failed split! What do I do? My other Euphyllias have been fine throughout the entire ordeal. Here is a pic:

1478916796566162880128_zps9llknmdj.jpg

Thoughts?

Nick

So this is interesting... Can't say I understand completely what you're describing... Like what happened that you're saying it failed splitting? Does it look like it's going to eject or something? Is something happening right now that looks odd? Normally "splitting" happens over time... Do you have a pic that's not so blue? I can't really see anything obviously wrong (doesn't mean anything - I just might be missing the subject of the photo).

Do the problems coincide with any changes to the tank (like adding a new coral or rock or something)?

I would possibly try dipping in some coral revive and keep the water quality good. Does it have too much/not enough flow? You have to be pretty careful with these guys as too much flow can easily cause them to be injured (due to the sharp corallites) while too little flow causes issues as too much crap settles on them.

Good luck hope it settles down

RIP Sebastian

So this is interesting... Can't say I understand completely what you're describing... Like what happened that you're saying it failed splitting? Does it look like it's going to eject or something? Is something happening right now that looks odd? Normally "splitting" happens over time... Do you have a pic that's not so blue? I can't really see anything obviously wrong (doesn't mean anything - I just might be missing the subject of the photo).

Do the problems coincide with any changes to the tank (like adding a new coral or rock or something)?

I would possibly try dipping in some coral revive and keep the water quality good. Does it have too much/not enough flow? You have to be pretty careful with these guys as too much flow can easily cause them to be injured (due to the sharp corallites) while too little flow causes issues as too much crap settles on them.

Good luck hope it settles down

Thanks for your response. Splitting does happen over time. It has been like this

for about five days-prior, it had been splitting. I will try and get a better pic. I will dip it. He was out for a few days, all happy and such.

Thanks,

Nick

Splitting takes months and there isn't really a time when it's done, it's just how it grows. Something looks wrong with water params or flow or something else.

I have to say I've had hammers, frogspawn, and torches for years now and I still haven't figured out why sometimes they get mad.

RIP Sebastian

Splitting takes months and there isn't really a time when it's done, it's just how it grows. Something looks wrong with water params or flow or something else.

I have to say I've had hammers, frogspawn, and torches for years now and I still haven't figured out why sometimes they get mad.

Thanks!

Thanks for your response. Splitting does happen over time. It has been like this

for about five days-prior, it had been splitting. I will try and get a better pic. I will dip it. He was out for a few days, all happy and such.

Thanks,

Nick

So what is it that's making you think something's wrong? Just that it's retracted still? Make sure you know what's actually wrong before messing with it too much.

Agreed - sometimes they just act funny for reasons I can't pin down. I have a torch where one side acts normal and the other side is deflated half the time... The heads are almost touching.

RIP Sebastian

So what is it that's making you think something's wrong? Just that it's retracted still? Make sure you know what's actually wrong before messing with it too much.

Agreed - sometimes they just act funny for reasons I can't pin down. I have a torch where one side acts normal and the other side is deflated half the time... The heads are almost touching.

I think something is wrong because it is turning grey- I've had other split Euphyllias, but nothing like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived