Coral Vue Hydros

[Goomba Forest] 2,25g pico reef

JimbosReef

Hi everyone!
Here you Will follow my pico jar reef project.

Working my way up in the hobby i was inspired by Maritza's reef vase and wanted My own, I have had a 20G long nano reef for a little over 8 months and it's running perfectly with fairly low tech, now I have decided to take a leap into the world of pico reefing!
Super excited to start up this Jar!

[specs]
Jar: 2,25 gallon with tap
Led: noname China led (waiting for 12w ABI)
Airpump: Marina 50
Heater: Aquael easyheater 50

Deep sand bed and about 2kg live rock
bkqKcBI.jpg
fKyvKmN.jpg

Goals for the jar is to create a jungle of mushrooms and softies such as gorgonians, super excited for the cycle to end so I can move a couple discosomas and ricordias from my nano!

Take it easy
/Jim

Woop deleted my post so I cant edit it. My iphone is really messing up need to replace this crappy phone haha.

Btw that rock looks nice covered in coralline, are there any hitchhikers? That's where I got my aiptasia I guess since I want to seed my tank with coralline (added rocks with purple/red coralline)

Now I had no choice but to dip the entire rock covered with coralline to avoid further infestations but a bit of coralline survives the harsh dipping (h2o2 dip)

An Bollenessor

Cool. Why not have a shallower sand bed in the front so you can use the faucet for water changes? (As pico's rely so heavily on them, something I'd like to try out myself in a project.)

The deeper sand bed will provide the jar with much stability and will also work as a buffer. The setup is fishless so there's nothing to worry about poop/gunk getting trapped in the dsb since its weekly 100% wc

Update on the pico today!

I decided to add a Mexican turbo snail as a one man CUC, just love his shell.

2 days ago i had a trip to a nearby city to a reefer who was selling off some of her corals, managed to snag a couple of SPS frags for my 20g nano, and this BEAUTIFUL gorgonian for the pico! It sways so nice in the flow the bubbles make and i can't wait to see if it Will be happy in its new home!

0LHW3Ya.jpg

Other than that i've seen a couple of critters in the jar hope to see some copepods or tiny artemia to see if i got nice liverock!

Thats all for now folks!

/Jim

Nice gorgonian! Im looking for a nice frag too as well since whips and gorgonians can add more variety in the jar.

Is that an sps coral? The one in the front under the gorg frag?

Looking great so far!

Thank you HammerLover!

Yes the gorgonian turned out great, i will try to get another colored one too. hoping to get a jungle type look in a couple of months!

That coral is a Discosoma some type of purple/blue morph, it likes to curl like that, they do the same in my nano :)

/Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Big update today! First water change made this weekend and new corals from My nano reef was added! Hammer coral, Goniopora, Ricordia and 2 small discosomas!

I Also recieved My ABI led light from USA, too bad i can't take photos with that one on (photos taken with old led)

I'll leave you with some pics!

5yLtrvW.jpg

SDOmIIK.jpg

Tnps7oI.jpg

IlLLrSI.jpg

zcbJWJh.jpg

rP6tSYE.jpg

6ptSX5W.jpg

Goodluck with the gonio, hope it lasts for you! It has a really bad reputation in reefkeeping throughout the years though

And that hammer is nice :D

Archived