SaltCritters.com

You'll be reading about this algae additive in the blogs soon

brandon429

LFS really pushing this to BRIGHTEN my tank and it worked on the green algae that was taking over the back wall of my tank. I was scraping it every couple weeks. Snails and urchins wouldnt touch it. Vibrant did knock it out PDQ and I was really supprised. It dosnt seem to have helped in the turf algae so Ive been using NoPox daily and all that has done is nearly wipe out cheato in my fuge. Im going to dive in today and harvest as much as I can today with water change and go back to dosing this. Livestock has no adverse reactions that i can see from this stuff.

• Like 1
North Borders

I've been using this for the last 3 weeks in my Reefer Nano. I had a couple patches of what I assume were dinos on the sand. They seem to have gotten better, although they're not completely gone. This is more than I can say for other things I have tried such as black out and chemiclean. I had a couple patches of bubble algae that are now gone. Also had one very small patch of bryopsis on a frag plug I had gotten a few months ago. Thankfully, the bryopsis never spread off this frag plug, but the Vibrant killed it none-the-less.

I have high end SPS and none have shown any stress so far.

• Like 2

Second dose......

Cyano taking over fuge and outbreak in display. One of three large turbo snails died, second dieing. Nitrates 5 ammonia 0 alk 9.9. Algae still there. However Mr Grumpy the star blenny is eating it , something he has never been seen doing as well as Fiji the fiji foxface. Neither have shown an interest in it before dosing. Mixing water for change to do some heavy vacuuming of sand bed for cyano tomorrow.

I did my 3rd dose yesterday. I had a bag of carbon mixed with phosguard. Cyano and dinos are gone. Bubble algae still holding. Sps is getting pale as expected. I will remove the phosguard and replace with a smaller amount on Friday during my water change as well as my 4th dose. Ill add an emerald crab as well.

When you all have dosed, did it come out of the bottle clear or was it cloudy?

Do you think the adnormally cold temperatures up North where it is shipped from can possibly kill the bacteria during the shipping process?

I met up with a local reefer yesterday who has an amazingly clean SPS tank. He ran zeovit for a long time, and while he's off that regimen now, his tank is still crystal clear and algae free. He had an almost full bottle of Vibrant on the shelf. I asked him about it. He said it would torch any GHA you might have, and clear up the dust on your glass, but it won't touch cyano. Just hear-say obviously, but boo....

• 4 weeks later...

How fast did you guys notice the algae die off? I bought a bottle but I read some threads saying the algae dying caused an ammonia spike. So I don't know how many days before my scheduled water change I should begin dosing.

The statement above about cyano does hold up with the -giant- reference thread on p1 I think it's over 100 pages now. Assembled all together we are seeing that theme.

Highlights:

Vibrant gets doser of the year in my opinion for pan generic invader battling ability. It's clearing bryopsis tanks though not 100% by just adding to the water. Yes there are reports of it not working, there's also reports of zoanthids succumbing to light peroxide work though we have 200 combined pages showing they don't. Outliers.

Very low collateral loss in non target organisms for vibrant.

Better than tech m ever did, in my opinion

Through X mechanism still undetermined cyano or spirulina are tradeoff invasions and it's highly significant in the reports, in the hundreds now, it will not routinely cure cyano and spirulina which TWilliard on reef2reef has several threads showing how similar these two invaders look topically.

• Like 3

I've seen pretty much the same thing. I've also started using in my 90g FW tank and it is amazing in FW. It's completely changed the way my tank looks as nearly all of the black algae is gone, and it even reduced the amount of mulm in the cannister filter.

• Like 2

it took me years of guiding to get the black algae out of my 14 yr old planted bowl, if Vib would've been around back then id have used it. they've done a great job, a really nice job selling not snake oil. we like to pounce snake oils for fun lol

they have stat significant results on the genera mentioned.

• Like 2

No effect on my algae. Been pulling but loads out weekly. Cyano was growing on everything. Vibrant didnt help. Finally went to chemiclean and a three day lights off. Cyano gone but skimmer going nuts after a 25g water change. omgomgomg For giggles ill dose vibrant until gone, but so far nothing.

initially it seemed to be working. Two weeks I. the GHA exploded. I also saw more bubble algae and then Green

Cyano my take is it did not work on my tank

I'm wondering what the nutrient levels are in these tanks which report regrowth. As we know, algae will consume available nutrients, making our test kits reflect low levels. However, after the algae starts to die, it will release these nutrients back into the water (potentiality fueling more algae growth). This might also explain some of the cyano reports, as conditions might favor cyano over macro algae while still dosing.

I assume that aggressive nutrient removal is required to support the product, and that dosing alone will not be able to clear a tank with a substantial algae bloom. Of course this is speculation, and it's possible that it just doesn't work for everyone, or all species of algae. There is also the question of adaptation, as the surviving algae might be more resistant to continued treatment. IDK

• Like 1

I was ( and still do) 20% weekly water changes. But it is possible that the die off added more nutrients. I know I was getting low/no PO4 readings but guessing it was due to the algae consuming it. It is possible that Vibrant is not good for a tank with significant problems but better with a tank will little to no issues. I have a couple of tiny tufts of GHA in my Pico and am tempted to try it there to see what happens.

It is possible that Vibrant is not good for a tank with significant problems but better with a tank will little to no issues.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't beneficial to tanks with significant algae problems; just that nutrient release should be considered and dealt with accordingly.

• Like 2

While dosing Vibrant if you find yourself with Cyano (which you didnt have before Vibrant) then may I suggest you dose KNO3 to find balance in your tanks C/PO4/NO3. Vibrant, in my experience, does work, but as seabass mentions one must be diligent with maintenance during this "algae nuking".

I have found in my mixed reef which is a AIO with, as a result, a crappy skimmer is having a difficult time keeping up with the die-off. I have cut back on how much I dose that tank as a result. It will take many months to clean up the mess I have and had prior to Vibrant.

In my Zoa Garden, which has a sump and an oversized skimmer, I have found that dosing KNO3 combined with weekly water changes, daily turkey basting and sand stirring (small tank) and the oversized skimmer has led to a very successful Vibrant experience. I dose it twice weekly (double to recommended amount) as well. In this tank I have needed to dose KNO3 as I had Cyano the first weeks of dosing Vibrant. After I found the right amount to maintain 5-10 ppm NO3 (2.5 ml KNO3 in 20 gallon system once a week) I have not had Cyano since.

• Like 4

I forgot to mention that I manually remove as much GHA as I can in my zoa tank which is main reason for using Vibrant.

It is definitely easier to remove the GHA from whatever it is attached to while Vibrant is working. This is one way you can tell Vibrant is working because the GHA will turn darker and lose its grip.

I suggest doing this rather than letting the GHA, or whatever else it is, eventually fall off the rock or plug and into your mechanical filtration where it will be left to decay thus leading to PO4 increase.

• Like 2

It was not beneficial to my tank. Or maybe I should say I was not willing to keep trying it since my my hair algae was taking over

I'm not suggesting that it isn't beneficial to tanks with significant algae problems; just that nutrient release should be considered and dealt with accordingly.

It was not beneficial to my tank. Or maybe I should say I was not willing to keep trying it since my my hair algae was taking over

:( I would imagine it works differently in all tanks. I actually increased my maintenance when I started dosing. Daily removal of GHA (spent about 30 minutes a day for about 2 months), daily turkey basting, daily sand stirring, emptied skimmer more often, etc. I also cut back feeding fish and coral for a few months. Several weeks ago I started dosing MicroBacter7 weekly as well to help balance out the bacteria in the tank. I would certainly imagine that it was the combination of all of this that has led to the GHA dying off about 90% at this point. My frag tank was completely infested when I started.

:( I would imagine it works differently in all tanks. I actually increased my maintenance when I started dosing. Daily removal of GHA (spent about 30 minutes a day for about 2 months), daily turkey basting, daily sand stirring, emptied skimmer more often, etc. I also cut back feeding fish and coral for a few months. Several weeks ago I started dosing MicroBacter7 weekly as well to help balance out the bacteria in the tank. I would certainly imagine that it was the combination of all of this that has led to the GHA dying off about 90% at this point. My frag tank was completely infested when I started.

That's the thing. A lot of people that reported success with Vibrant also increased their maintenance at the same time so there's no telling if it was Vibrant doing anything or just snake oil...

• Like 1