Pod Your Reef

You'll be reading about this algae additive in the blogs soon

brandon429

Lol. What was that about 48hrs or so you were able to hold out?! Hahaha. It does look convincing tho. For twenty bucks what the hell!!

Exactly! I'm weak, what can I say?

they claim in the thread it equally kills all the top aquarium invaders, all of them. yes to cyano, they claim

There were some pretty convincing reports. A few mixed in said nothing happened, but not many.

But nearly everyone had only been trying it for a couple weeks at most. So we'll see. Like Brandon said, it's the sustainment part that's really impressive, if true.

Oh yeah, they also claim it gets bubble algae. If so, that's just amazing.

• Like 2

Ive been dosing for three weeks now on a BAD gha outbreak and the three weeks of using this has been MUCH more affective then the every 2-3 day water changes and weekly gfo replace. Im one of those people that didn't document it though as i don't really give a shit about posting my life on the internet but i can tell you for GHA its been working. Ill start some pics tomorrow with what i have left and go from there i guess if itl help anyone else's tank issues if its pictures you need and not just words. If i would have just ordered it to begin with i would have saved a ton of money with how much ive spent in salt/water/gfo for that past two months. Didn't start seeing any difference until about day 4-5 but since then has been clearing up noticeably little by little every few days. Its a 24g jbj and i dose 6 squirts from the 8 oz bottle (about three full cycle squirts is 1ml) on sat after my weekly 4 gal water change and another 6 on wed.

• Like 4

One thing is for certain, the additive is affecting the way we look at nuisance invasions as a whole, its keeping direct action and less work as the prime focus

if it works, who cares :)

but before any of this plays out, key factors to consider imo are clear:

-the uproar is for the initial kill, a trait 3 different chems can easily bring about

-I haven't seen for example 5 dino ostreopsis tanks, before and after, using it. we all know how many cyano tanks are confused for dino, there's still verification kinks to work out but its promising, agreed.

-we have ways to be algae free of valonia, bryopsis, any invader you can name...this product is an answer to having to do work in ones tank, not to address inability to be free of benthic plant invasions, we're doing that already and documenting it (with work)

Does Reefjar, Natalia, Maritza, or any of the pico reefs show an algae problem? whats the recurring theme? Direct action and direct disallowance always works, playing catchup after we purposefully farm something and intertwine it into our rock porosity is a different game of variables. I haven't treated for a plant invasion on my rocks in seven years. you can wipe it, be free of algae work, stop not quarantining your imports, and take direction action when you do skip a QT frag and be always algae free. Ill never own this doser, and neither will very many pico reefers. If I had a 75 gallon tank, I wouldn't need this doser.

100% of all problem algae tanks share the trait of purposefully growing the invasion vs immediate action upon first visual detection. they may not have known alternatives, but the trait is still the same. They watched one tuft become three onward

still, who cares about all that if they've found a way to harness bacteria to interact with plants. if this has a basic algaecide buried in it, and its not biologic, kudos as well--they're not killing any collateral organisms I can see so far.

Just wanted to point out the irony of non work, more non work, and twenty bucks we do not need to be free of bryopsis, valonia, invasive macros, brush algae, chrysophytes. dinos are so mean and pervasive in the hobby id take any additive that could zap them in tank. If it can do dinos alone then vote it best retail additive ever invented.

This method doesn't have to have 100% perfect kills and sustains to wow me, none of the big three reach that level

anything anyone wants to do to an ostreopsis tank works 20% of the time at best...I just see this doser as appropriate for 5% of the things its being dosed for and simple hand grazing nullifies it for all the rest.

• Like 3

@brandon429 I agree with you completely.

My situation: Went on vacation, heater broke and when i came back a ton of stuff was dead or dying. There were a bunch of zoa frags that hadn't completely melted along with a few other pieces that still had a small amount of life left in them. Instead of throwing in the towel i decided to keep it all as is, add another heater do some water changes, throw out all the sand and most of the live rock and see what happens. In a week some things died and some others things didn't so i started my every 2-3 day 20% water change and gfo as the GHA at this point was starting to get completely out of control.

At this point things are looking GREAT in comparison not only in the amount of GHA but since dosing how things have started to show life that i thought were complete goners during my water change/gfo period. All sps is in the trash at this point but most of my zoas and a few lps pieces that weren't already goners are going to make it. Ill update this post with pics in a few hours when my lights turn on and throw another picture of the tank each Sat for a few weeks so yall can see where its at and how things are going. I will say ive hit a bit of a hiatus in the algea killing as all the stuff that is left is pretty well established so it looks like all the weaker GHA have all been eliminated and all thats left is the stronger and more rooted sections which im sure will take alot longer to break down.

Ill update this post in a few hours when my lights turn on.

• Like 3

I'm as much of a skeptic as anyone, this stuff seems too good to be true; however, I have a bryopsis outbreak that is closing in on plague proportions without being kept in check from manual removal. I am documenting my experience from day one and will continue to update as I dose and see changes that I deem to be from the vibrant being dosed. I know I'm not alone in hoping this product is the real deal, if it is, it's a big freakin' accomplishment for out hobby!

• Like 1

http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

so, there's that. im no purveyor of snake oil and am a natural skeptic

when we started hammering tanks with peroxide it was sure to kill everything...pods, corals it touched, and most certainly the bacteria, it was a snake oil. FF 7 yrs and 1000 tanks fixed and none of that played out

we know peroxide has limitations...it'll darn near for sure kill your lysmata shrimp and sensitive refugium macros...but this stuff is on the same wave train, its user feedback driven.

doesn't matter if theyre making a million bucks off this post wave, its the follow up pics w less algae worth looking into, look at its massive momentum and they're claiming to beat every known tank invader including bad strain dinos of 1:10 dose

discuss

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/378013-testing-vibrant-aquarium-cleaner/

• Like 2

We had some major issues with paypal a few years back and I haven't jumped back on the horse yet. It wasn't paypal's fault but the experience has made me less than enthusiastic to use the service again. I hadn't checked any vendors to see if they were carrying it, I better get on that.

I bought for my marine and freshwater tanks....dosed the freshwater tanks today for the first time....We'll see if I notice the tanks being "brighter" in a couple days or so. I am waiting to see the results in there before I dose my salt tank. I don't have much of anything going on algae wise but bought it just to test it out. Easy to do at the price! Will also keep my post updated to how it works.

Im confused. Why does it come in an easy squirt bottle if i need to measure out 1mL per ten gallons? I just got it today. Hopefully i get some good results

I think each squirt is 1ml.

Got mine today -- will be doing 5mL/week for my 40B. Will see if it helps kill the bryopsis. If this fails, I officially will be giving up on the tank and restarting.

the results in the r2r thread are astounding and beat the early wave peroxide was getting. they aren't having collateral loss issues like we do (although we know which five to watch out for reliably to work around them) and they are getting similar kill rates at the same dosage, one mil per ten gallons. you can dump that in a bryopsis tank using peroxide and it will usually do the same initial bleaching but the growback is happening sharply in tanks where we didn't dig it out prior with a rasping tool, its taking mechanical help to make peroxide work as a cleanup tool, as that area of invasion treating evolves over time

but ill be darn if people aren't squirting this stuff in tank, shrimps fine, and bryopsis is falling off the bone. Some of the valonia tank reports are still pending change, tbd, maybe its no good for bubble algae but they aren't failing up till now that's for sure.

but for bryopsis wow, they are riding a stronger wave of apparent results and low collateral risk than p ever got

no definitive patterns for ostreopsis dinos being beaten *but* some of the early reports are promising and we can read about people using microscopy to identify the strains before and after use. if those keep pouring in ill be double amazed. the stuff truly looks promising I cant believe someone arranged bacteria or vinegar to do all that. dang it I wanted the peroxide wave to be twenty years.