Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30Q

jbb

jedimasterben

ok but have you even tried the RedSea ?

Nope. I haven't looked to see if they have any data on it, though. There is plenty on the Norit stuff, and nothing comes close :)

So I wanted to keep the look as minimal as possible when it comes to equipment. I had the idea of using my Smart Micro for top-off, but that required the sensor being in the display. Most wouldn't have a huge issue with that, but then you also run into issues of it not functioning properly due to surface agitation, and having direct light shining down on the sensor. To combat this I would have to make a cover for the sensor which would be an eyesore. Then you also have the cables, and water line running up the back side of the tank, again ... EYESORE

SO

I made this :

30641752622_ebe2b80e80_c.jpg

30758339475_d2be51a1fd_c.jpg

30641750082_f7ebab25a2_c.jpg

The Avast pump is on a toggle and the top-off water is injected into the supply line under the tank. It's obviously a job that has to be done maunally, but having the pump plumbed in makes it pretty simple. I have a mark on the back seam that helps me know when to stop the pump and helps with keeping the water level consistent.

I may eventually add the micro to this system, but I need to figure out the how I want to conceal it first.

• Like 4

Anyone tried the RedSea Reef Spec Carbon yet ? I picked some up yesterday, and was wondering what opinions were out there.

I have been using it for a few months now. All I can say is that it is better than most of the other brands, like Kent, Marineland, and Seachem.

I also think it is great that Red Sea provides a decent media bag in every container.

I used to switch brands of carbon very frequently, but have since stopped since using the Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon.

It is low dust as well.

• Like 1

So I wanted to keep the look as minimal as possible when it comes to equipment. I had the idea of using my Smart Micro for top-off, but that required the sensor being in the display. Most wouldn't have a huge issue with that, but then you also run into issues of it not functioning properly due to surface agitation, and having direct light shining down on the sensor. To combat this I would have to make a cover for the sensor which would be an eyesore. Then you also have the cables, and water line running up the back side of the tank, again ... EYESORE

SO

I made this :

30641752622_ebe2b80e80_c.jpg

30758339475_d2be51a1fd_c.jpg

30641750082_f7ebab25a2_c.jpg

The Avast pump is on a toggle and the top-off water is injected into the supply line under the tank. It's obviously a job that has to be done maunally, but having the pump plumbed in makes it pretty simple. I have a mark on the back seam that helps me know when to stop the pump and helps with keeping the water level consistent.

I may eventually add the micro to this system, but I need to figure out the how I want to conceal it first.

Love the tank !!!!! Love this idea.......

But I am confused, what stops the flow from the canister from filling up the topoff reservoir?

So after talking to Dave for a bit last night, I'm thinking a group RFAs from VIP will be going in this one .

Check out gotcorals.com as well. I have literally hand-picked RFAs from both places. Can't go wrong. I am 20 mins from either location in case you need a visual inspection before you order. I just need to leave my wallet in the car B)

• Like 2

Love the tank !!!!! Love this idea.......

But I am confused, what stops the flow from the canister from filling up the topoff reservoir?

Just a standard inline check valve

RFAs :rolleyes: copycat :P Me and Kettle already have that covered :lol:

Well I guess welcome to the club. And yes contact Sandy at Gotcorals she has a nice selection and great prices. Also rics to.......I am up to 20 or so RFAs and at least a dozen rics in the 10........and a few porcelain crabs also.

• Like 1

Check out gotcorals.com as well. I have literally hand-picked RFAs from both places. Can't go wrong. I am 20 mins from either location in case you need a visual inspection before you order. I just need to leave my wallet in the car B)

Thank you for this , I've never heard of them before. I will be ordering from them for sure .

• Like 1

Bump for Sancho

I also love Matrix Carbon. No matter what I did, I would get black dust from the BRS stuff that killed a clam both times I tried it. And I was super careful washing and making sure it would not tumble.

Stella recommended Matrix Carbon, pellets rather than that shredded stuff. Works great in my reactor!

• Like 1

Although we do not make that filter, I must say the placement of that sticker is on point. :D:D:D

Shhhhh , it's our little secret :)

I also love Matrix Carbon. No matter what I did, I would get black dust from the BRS stuff that killed a clam both times I tried it. And I was super careful washing and making sure it would not tumble.

Stella recommended Matrix Carbon, pellets rather than that shredded stuff. Works great in my reactor!

Thanks Harry , I'll have to look into it

Ohhhh how fancy!

Things should get even fancier in the next week or so . Gonna pick up some coralzzzz . :happydance:
  • Like 2

Any thoughts on a white vinyl background?

If I did anything like that I would probably lean more towards the frosted over pure white. I've never ran a tank with a clear background so I thought I would try it here, but that cord to my light is driving me insane. I need to figure out a solution to that for sure.

If I did anything like that I would probably lean more towards the frosted over pure white. I've never ran a tank with a clear background so I thought I would try it here, but that cord to my light is driving me insane. I need to figure out a solution to that for sure.

Nice. I just ordered 24"x 60" of gloss white vinyl off eBay for $8 to wrap my sump in like this tank.

But now I am thinking that would be the perfect size to wrap my 21x47" display. But hell no am I draining the tank to move it, so would probably would be a crappy installation if I tried to put on the vinyl with 4" of wiggle room.

• Like 1