Pod Your Reef

Finally spent "money" on a unique coral, here's hoping!

dlaunde

Came across Cherry Corals and was blown away by their selection and colors. Decided to treat myself to just one unique coral so I choose a Blasto (a little expensive but I just got an insurance refund check unexpectedly so why not).

https://www.cherrycorals.com/product/awesome-blasto-colony/

I already have a single headed Blasto I got from Live Aquaria that is doing nicely.

The only thing I have read is that Blasto's will usually just maintain their size/number with light but require spot feeding to actually grow. True?

I've been using Rod's Food for the last two weeks now and all of the corals, fish, and inverts love it but I don't spot feed (just pour into the water column).

EDIT: And just saw they have a 20% sale going on today...maybe I'll pick up one more? So addicting...

Came across Cherry Corals and was blown away by their selection and colors. Decided to treat myself to just one unique coral so I choose a Blasto (a little expensive but I just got an insurance refund check unexpectedly so why not).

https://www.cherrycorals.com/product/awesome-blasto-colony/

I already have a single headed Blasto I got from Live Aquaria that is doing nicely.

The only thing I have read is that Blasto's will usually just maintain their size/number with light but require spot feeding to actually grow. True?

I've been using Rod's Food for the last two weeks now and all of the corals, fish, and inverts love it but I don't spot feed (just pour into the water column).

EDIT: And just saw they have a 20% sale going on today...maybe I'll pick up one more? So addicting...

In my experience, yes, they need to be fed in order to grow more heads. Same with acans and a lot of LPS in my experience. I don't target feed much, just broadcast feed. As long as they are getting some food regularly, I think you'll be fine. I have a blasto colony that started out as one head last April and now has two large heads and about 8 more tiny ones growing.

In my experience, yes, they need to be fed in order to grow more heads. Same with acans and a lot of LPS in my experience. I don't target feed much, just broadcast feed. As long as they are getting some food regularly, I think you'll be fine. I have a blasto colony that started out as one head last April and now has two large heads and about 8 more tiny ones growing.

Thanks.

Of all my corals, the Trumpet I got is growing the most as of right now with just using Rods Food every other day. Two heads have just finished splitting off, while four more are starting to pinch off.

Surprisingly, my Zoa colony has barely grown despite showing signs of being extremely happy every day.

RIP Sebastian

Thanks.

Of all my corals, the Trumpet I got is growing the most as of right now with just using Rods Food every other day. Two heads have just finished splitting off, while four more are starting to pinch off.

Surprisingly, my Zoa colony has barely grown despite showing signs of being extremely happy every day.

Zoar are finicky little buggers. They don't readily accept food and some varieties do better than others. In my experience, they're one of the hardest-to-please corals. Don't discourage yourself. :)

Palys are much more colorful, grow faster, readily accept food, and will grow pretty much anywhere in your tank.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived