Innovative Marine Aquariums

breathing life back into my dormant box of rocks, worms and crabs.

Bendavis

So, years ago I decided to get back into the reek keeping game and bought a Fluval Edge and set up a cute little reef with mushrooms, zoos, xenia and a tiny clown. It kept really well for a year and then we moved. About 2 months after the move the tank crashed. Its sat unchanged for the last 2 years, Ive done water changes but never put any new stock in it. there are a bunch of blue hermits, tiny stars, bristleworms and pods but no coral or fish. I decided I wanted to get a tank for work and was thinking about doing a gimmicky glo-fish tank or some garbage like that but my wife suggested I take the edge in and turn it back into a pretty reef. I've decided to go for it but I'm going to chop the top off and make it a rimless tank instead. Just wondering if any new amazing developments have popped up in the nano world in the last 2 or 3 years I should know about before I start putting this thing together. I've got a nice LED light that should be more than capable of keeping softies happy but is there anything I should definitely look into?

I'm not sure what may have changed in the last 2yrs. i got out in 2008 and got bck in last yr.

What kind of led light do you have?

Are you going to be using the existing rocks?

I would definitly change out the sand for new sand. The old stuff may have a lot of waste in it, so starting fresh will be good. IF you plan on saving the existing water to use it, syphon it out first, then the rocks, then ditch the sand. you don't want to stir up the sand and then use that water.

What condition are your rocks in?

I was planning on putting the rocks in a covered bucket with a powerhead for a couple weeks to recycle them but hold onto as much of the beneficial goodies as possible but get rid of the slime and fuzz. I hadn't really considered ditching the sand but you're right, I really don't want to stir that up.

The light is an ecoxotic from 3 or 4 years ago.

The shrooms and zoos loved it, since it's LED I can't imagine it's lost anything.

No, haven't fed in over 2 years. I keep doing very small water changes and topping it off because the hermits were still kicking somehow.

I just put a new bag of activated carbon in the filter and cleaned the sponge. I'm going to try to remove the top glass tonight. Pick up a bag of live sand on Monday and move the tank to my office.

I'd give the filter and any powerheads a good cleaning. Filters should be cleaned monthly, it reduces nutrient issues and help with the function.

I would stop using the sponges and use filter floss. filter floss should be changed 1-2x a week. A bag can be purchsed for $10, just cut to size.

I'd rinse your carbon bag at waterchange to remove detritus buildup and replace carbon monthly

Removed the glass top, removed all the sand :(

Saved 50% of the water and I've got a filter and a powerhead running on it right now. Now im not sure if I want to bother trying to recycle this rock or just start fresh with a new batch of rock from the LFS since I'm gonna have to buy new live sand anyway.

It depends on the work you want to go through.

Cleaning your current rocks shouldn't be too hard. what condition are they in? can you post a pic?

You could get new rock. Or do 50/50.

You most likely will go through a cycle.

You essentially will be starting fresh.

I've got the tank empty and positioned and leveled on my desk now. Rigged together a stand for my ecoxotic and have all the rock in a bucket swimming in the left over water from the old setup with a HOB and powerhead circulating the water. I'm going to go pick up sand and a few gallons of water on lunch today and get it setup with my old rock to see if I like it.

Great start. Makes me miss my edge

I loved this tank, but taking care of it was a huge PITA. one of the big reasons I never revitalized it before now. I knew if I ever brought it back to life I would have to chop the top off it. So far I'm really glad I did.

Archived