Innovative Marine Aquariums

BTA finding the Powerhead

gmanreefer

Hi Guys!

So - I have an elos mini set up for about 2 years , the tank inhabitants are a pair of clowns , a YWG, and various clean up crew.

A month ago I added a large bubble tip anemone from one of my local friends who wanted to free up some space in his tank.

The specimen looked great from the time I acclimated it - but immediately started walking all over the tank. I had removed some rock because I needed to free some space up for him (also was trying to treat that rock for bryopsis in a separate nano tank).

I am going to California on vacation for two weeks and added that rock back because I only have 2 tanks with ATO for when I go away.

A few weeks ago , the anemone ran into the powerhead, but I caught it early and the nem walked out of it - i did multiple 50% water changes and everything was fine.

This morning woke up again the same nightmare - tank cloudy as heck - smelled awful , and the skimmer was filled up with gunk . I still had the carbon in from a few weeks ago, I turned off the powerhead and did an emergency 5g water change this morning. I added a small utility 40 gph powerhead to other side to move some water while im at work and allow the BTa to work its way out of the main powerhead (RW-8)

Now - I know you guys are going to tell me to put a sponge over the RW-8 - I have done this before but it got gunked up pretty quick bc I have somewhat of an algae problem in this tank and I didnt replace it fast enough.

Now- the underlying issue here is that I am going away from the 31st to the 9th and im not sure of what to do. My elos mini is packed with various corals that I really like. I also have a 75 gallon I started 3 months ago which only has 4 small fish in it and no coral.

The 75 also does not have a lighting solution yet bc I have't gotten that far with it. Do you guys think its a better idea to put the nem in the 75 gallon while I am away to avoid the possibility of it find the power head again while i'm away?

I guess the alternative is that I can bring the nem to a lfs that might take him, but I do really like the thing - so I am a bit torn.

Would the nem survive for that time without any light? Worse case scenario is the nem finds a powerhead in the 75 (i have two rw-8s in there) , but my thought is it would do less damage in the 75 since there are no corals and only a few fish. Also maybe its enough water that it wouldn't affect the fish too much if that happened? anyway - sorry for the long post -appreciate your thoughts on this

Edit - could also turn off the powerheads in the 75 while I am away in the 75 since there are only fish - thoughts on this?

Simple solution would be to get a little a piece of Tupperware poke a bunch of holes in it and toss your nem in there and set it in a good location in you tank.

You could call it nem jail or something!

Droy - thanks for your response,

That's an interesting and promising idea - the nem is about the size of about my fist and would need a good sized tupperware with a tight fitting lid. Then I could use my drill to put tons of small holes all over the tupper ware. Could throw some rubble rock in there and maybe my mag float is strong enough to hold up the tupperware against the glass because I won't have room on the sandbed to place the tupperware. Will be going to Target today to look at some topperware I'm guessing one that's about 5 inches long by 2 inches would work.

I like the anemone jail idea - assuming it pulls through from this latest incident. If it looks iffy I wouldn't keep it in this tank at all.

Another idea is a critter keeper. They already have holes in them and a handle you could use to "dangle" it if you were worried about smashing stuff. They come in various sizes and are pretty clear acrylic so light should be able to pass through it to your other corals if needed.

Like the critter keeper idea too - also I have a hang on back breeder box with a 40 gph pump that feeds it. Maybe that wouldn't be enough flow? but could be easier than retrofitting a tupper ware and wouldn't block any light to the corals

Hi Guys,

So came home to find this:

wln7pr1v8onndbxs8bus_thumb.jpg

Surprised that after this long with the powerhead being off all day that the nem hasnt worked it way out and now is taring itself apart.

My thought is to discard the portion attached to the power head and try to salvage the portion adhered to the glass.

Archived