Pod Your Reef

Tank blowout

ABC

It certainly happens... Not always catastrophically though... Often times it's just a small leak or crack that leaks and you come to the tank and it's 1/2 drained. I've had a tank leak - fortunately it was in the garage at the time.

I think the key here is to inspect the silicone joints occasionally and re-seal the tank if it's over 8-10 years old. Obviously the other key is to buy from a reputable tank maker that focuses on surface preparation, uses quality silicone, and waits the full cure time before stressing the seams.

It would definitely suck to have a tank blow out on you though...

It certainly happens... Not always catastrophically though... Often times it's just a small leak or crack that leaks and you come to the tank and it's 1/2 drained. I've had a tank leak - fortunately it was in the garage at the time.

I think the key here is to inspect the silicone joints occasionally and re-seal the tank if it's over 8-10 years old. Obviously the other key is to buy from a reputable tank maker that focuses on surface preparation, uses quality silicone, and waits the full cure time before stressing the seams.

It would definitely suck to have a tank blow out on you though...

All good points I was just thinking if it more happened often we would hear about more, and more people would be afraid of the hobby.

Do you think tanks leak more or plumbing for tanks.

It happens and so do cracks and leaks.

Sometimes its due to the owner.

Ensuring all corners of the tank are supported by the stand, ensuring the water is level, a good stand that doesn't shift, checking the silicone, and trying not to have pressure points from rock can help prevent it but it still happens.

When I was much younger I tried to shift my 40 gallon XH while it was 3/4 full of water. That was a bad move. The next day there was a steady drip from one of the seams. At least I got a warning and it was totally my fault.

Archived