Pod Your Reef

What will my corals do as they grow closer to each other?

dlaunde

So, now that my nano 10g is settling in good and parameters have reached equilibrium, my corals are all showing signs of happiness and some are definitely growing. When I placed them I made sure to leave plenty of room. However, I did not anticipate that my hairy mushroom would take off THIS much. When fully expanded, it is about the size of a tea cup saucer...compared to the half dollar size a month ago. If it continues growing at this rate, it will soon be encroaching on my Australian Blasto and my Toadstool Leather.

Now, I know about fragging and, in this case, cutting the mushroom but what will happen if I were to just let it go as if it was in "nature"? Do corals slow down or stop growing once they reach other corals? Or do they have a maximum size possible for their species/habitat?

Most of my other corals are hard (LPS) so fragging them to control expansion will be easy and the only other soft ones I have are other polyps (so easy to cut pods off) or are not glued to any LR. But the big issue I would have with the mushroom is the rock it came on is glued very tightly into my LR and I don't think I can cut it while it's in the tank due to toxicity among other things, right? So removing it to "frag" would be very very difficult.

Thanks!

fishfreak0114

I'm not sure what will happen when the mushroom reaches other corals, likely something will be damaged though. Once the mushroom reaches a certain size it will frag itself, right down the middle. Then you'll have two that will grow to full size and do it again. I've always been awful at fragging mushrooms, I did it in the tank and don't have any issues, you may want to run carbon though.

So if I leave it be, at a certain point it will just split itself...and keep splitting itself throughout its life cycle so as long as the maximum size it reaches doesn't hurt other corals I can just let it be?

And if I did need to cut it, there is no harm cutting it in the reef? Wasn't sure if it would release a bunch of organic waste or other stuff that might wreak havoc on the parameters.

fishfreak0114

Pretty much. Eventually it will spread and reach other corals though. I haven't had any problems cutting them in the tank. A bit messy, but no harm done.

reefernanoman

I hate mushrooms for this reason. They grow too fast and spread all over your tank, while stinging everything in site. I've been killing mine one by one and will never put them in my 10G or 28G nanoreefs again.

I hate mushrooms for this reason. They grow too fast and spread all over your tank, while stinging everything in site. I've been killing mine one by one and will never put them in my 10G or 28G nanoreefs again.

My LFS told me something similar when I stopped in and mentioned it. I think I may replace it with something else.

• 3 weeks later...

It can sting the coral it touches, over grow it limiting light to the neighbour. Depending on its neighbour. A frogspawn can sting the crap outta a mushroom, my trumpet stung my ricordia and they weren't right next to eachother.

Fragging mushrooms isn't the easiest. I have done it in my tank while running fresh carbon. Turning the pumps off while cutting is a good idea. Just take a straight razor and cut under the foot if you want it all gone. I actually applied aiptasia x on any remaining flesh and no mushroom grew back.

Tons of videos on YouTube

Each coral contact situation can have different effects. Many types of 'mushrooms' are very successful at clearing room for growth and their clones. I contain Ricordia on their own dedicated rocks, but I have the same situation you have with my Rhodactis. Luckily, a green Pavona is nearby that tends to contain expansion

The only ones I won't let in my nano are Discosoma species. I have trimmed the polyp skirts of Ricordia and Rhodactis and had no issues with other corals, but be cautious if you try this as no one can say if your particular mushrooms can release detrimental toxins into the water.

Archived