SaltCritters.com

Tunze 9004 incompatibility

Canadianeh

In IM Fusion 40, Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer does not fit in any other chambers other than the ones where the in tank media basket goes in. Some reefers online put the 9004 in one of these media chamber and just use one intank media basket.

I am thinking which option is better:

-using only one intank media basket on one side and use tunze 9004 skimmer on the other side. I am worried that I am at disadvantage of removing debris and etc since I only have one intank media basket, OR

-return the 9004 skimmer and get IM ghost skimmer that is design for the tank and it will fit. This option allows me to use 2 intank media baskets

Which one is the best option for the health of the tank?

RIP Sebastian

In IM Fusion 40, Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer does not fit in any other chambers other than the ones where the in tank media basket goes in. Some reefers online put the 9004 in one of these media chamber and just use one intank media basket.

I am thinking which option is better:

-using only one intank media basket on one side and use tunze 9004 skimmer on the other side. I am worried that I am at disadvantage of removing debris and etc since I only have one intank media basket, OR

-return the 9004 skimmer and get IM ghost skimmer that is design for the tank and it will fit. This option allows me to use 2 intank media baskets

I'M skimmers suckered, or so I'm told. Try placing filter floss so it is over the skimmer intake.

Nick

Thanks, that is one opinion. I would love to hear what everyone else say.

which option is better:

Why do you need two media baskets? Losing out on a little mechanical filtration is a good thing IMO. I would much rather have the skimmer than the basket.

Why do you need two media baskets? Losing out on a little mechanical filtration is a good thing IMO. I would much rather have the skimmer than the basket.

I am a newbie and some of the set up that I am doing is based on what the others are doing :) Pardon me.

Now if you want me to reason why I need two media baskets? I don't know if this is a case of "need" or "want". Logically I think, having two return slots where water comes in and bring in detritus with it, it make sense to have two filter floss in place. I believe this is how AIO is designed since some of them come with two intank media from factory.

The issue is not about whether I choose a skimmer over an intank media basket or vice versa. I was planning to have two intank media baskets (one on each side) plus skimmer on chamber 2 or 4. However, Tunze 9004 does not fit into these chambers, and only fit on chamber 1 or 5 where intank media baskets would go.

If I keep the Tunze 9004 use only one intank media basket on the other side, I am worried that detritus will just go into the skimmer instead of being filter flossed first. I am asking the experienced aquarist here if this set up will cause issue to my tank, skimmer, and livestock in the long run.

My other option is to return the Tunze 9004, and get IM ghost skimmer that will fit into chamber 2 or 4 instead, but then again I would like to know the experienced reefers' opinion about IM Ghost skimmer compare to Tunze 9004.

Best to collect as much detritus as possible at the intakes and protect the rear chambers. Especially the dead spots under the chambers.

What about the Tunze 9001? It will fit in the pump chamber, better than the ghost skimmer, cheaper. The 9004 would be ideal, but it simply doesn't fit where you need it to.

Or get out the razor, cut out a baffle and make it fit.

Best to collect as much detritus as possible at the intakes and protect the rear chambers. Especially the dead spots under the chambers.

What about the Tunze 9001? It will fit in the pump chamber, better than the ghost skimmer, cheaper. The 9004 would be ideal, but it simply doesn't fit where you need it to.

Or get out the razor, cut our a baffle and make it fit.

Sorry what do you mean by "get out the razor"? It is a glass and I don't want to mess up and end up throwing away the tank.

I am a newbie and some of the set up that I am doing is based on what the others are doing :) Pardon me.

Now if you want me to reason why I need two media baskets? I don't know if this is a case of "need" or "want". Logically I think, having two return slots where water comes in and bring in detritus with it, it make sense to have two filter floss in place. I believe this is how AIO is designed since some of them come with two intank media from factory.

The issue is not about whether I choose a skimmer over an intank media basket or vice versa. I was planning to have two intank media baskets (one on each side) plus skimmer on chamber 2 or 4. However, Tunze 9004 does not fit into these chambers, and only fit on chamber 1 or 5 where intank media baskets would go.

If I keep the Tunze 9004 use only one intank media basket on the other side, I am worried that detritus will just go into the skimmer instead of being filter flossed first. I am asking the experienced aquarist here if this set up will cause issue to my tank, skimmer, and livestock in the long run.

My other option is to return the Tunze 9004, and get IM ghost skimmer that will fit into chamber 2 or 4 instead, but then again I would like to know the experienced reefers' opinion about IM Ghost skimmer compare to Tunze 9004

The 9004 is designed to be mounted directly in the tank, and that is how I use mine. Don't worry about detritus getting into the skimmer, it will remove a lot of it from your water column, mine does. I see a lot of particulate riding up the foam into the cup. Again, I would lean towards the better skimmer and use less mechanical filtration. Flushing out the rear chambers periodically is easy when you conduct a water change. I'd rather have it settled in a dark chamber than captured in some floss with all the water flowing through it over and over.

The 9004 is designed to be used directly in the tank so detritus is not a problem. In fact mine removes quite a bit. I see lots of particulate matter in the foam and cup. I prefer to use less mechanical filtration. Some detritus in your back chamber can be easily flushed out periodically during a water change.

The 9004 is designed to be used directly in the tank so detritus is not a problem. In fact mine removes quite a bit. I see lots of particulate matter in the foam and cup. I prefer to use less mechanical filtration. Some detritus in your back chamber can be easily flushed out periodically during a water change.

I don't want to put the 9004 in the tank and it will take the viewing space. Skimmer has to go in the chamber for me. I am still debating whether to use only one intank media or two.

Sorry what do you mean by "get out the razor"? It is a glass and I don't want to mess up and end up throwing away the tank.

Cut the baffle out, it's only siliconed in.

Cut the baffle out, it's only siliconed in.

If I cut the baffle out between chamber # 1 and #2, when I put the skimmer into chamber #2, the water will not stay in chamber #2 for it to go into the skimmer, and the water will just flow down into chamber #3

I know you don't want to put it in the tank. I only made the point that it is designed to go directly in the tank because you are worried about detritus getting into it.

If I cut the baffle out between chamber # 1 and #2, when I put the skimmer into chamber #2, the water will not stay in chamber #2 for it to go into the skimmer, and the water will just flow down into chamber #3

Between the pump chamber...

Or just use the 9001

Between the pump chamber...

Or just use the 9001

If you remove the baffle between chamber #2 and pump chamber #3, the water will not stay in chamber #2 and will not work with the Tunze.

According to Intank Media website, Tunze 9001 will only fit in the first and last chamber. Same with 9004. I guess I need to consider a different one.

If you remove the baffle between chamber #2 and pump chamber #3, the water will not stay in chamber #2

Sure it would, where would it go?

The 9001 fits tight, but fits in the pump chamber. I've put it in there like 3 times today trying to help this thread plus the inTank site (me) also states the same.

Sure it would, where would it go?

The 9001 fits tight, but fits in the pump chamber. I've put it in there like 3 times today trying to help this thread plus the inTank site (me) also states the same.

I rather not cutting off the baffle right now.

You carry IM ghost skimmer that will fit perfectly. What do you think of it?

You carry IM ghost skimmer that will git perfectly. What do you think of it?

I have the IM ghost skimmer and really like it. I did have microbubbles for like 2 weeks. But I heard that is it just breaking in. Since then no bubbles except sometimes when I turn it off for water changes. Also the skimmer cup is finicky in getting perfect. Takes a little, but once you get it, it's easy to adjust from wet to dry skim. It fits perfectly and doesn't stick far out of the tank.

The ghost skimmer is junk. I bought one due to the same issues. It was loud, hard to dial in and put micro bubbles in the tank well after it was broke in. Just cut the baffle out and use the 9004. Xacto knife and maybe 10 mins worth of time and done.....or send more money to Stevie

Archived