Cultivated Reef

Whats your favourite media and why?

Clown79

Just curious to know what others are using or prefer to use and why. Thought it might help newbies or even those who are new to certain media make a decision.

Chemipure blue

Chemipure elite

Phosban

Phosguard

Purigen

Rowas

Etc.

I like pruigen to run alongside my carbon and skimmer. I've also used phosgaurd but didn't really see any results like purigen. I haven't tried any others but plan on using chemipure blue in the new tank to see if I like it more or less than purigen and carbon. I essentially use it as a back up to skimmer and water changes because I always have good intentions for maitanence but I have a toddler and an 8 month old... so redundancy is good until I can remember/find time.

I use either purigen or carbon mixed with gfo depending on if I have phosphate issues. Seems to work for me along with a skimmer and marinepure spheres.

Purigen and carbon is all I use. Currently using Kent carbon but the brand varies depending on what is available when I need it.

I like Purigen as it last a long while, and can be recharged easily and reused.

Filter floss with activated carbon and Phosguard (which can be mixed or separate). It lets you determine how much of each you wish to use and when you want to replace them.

I've used Chemipure Elite in the past, but I'm not convinced that each component lasts the intended life they claim (especially when trying to control phosphate). I've had good results with using the product for a couple of weeks (versus the couple of months they recommend), but that gets a little pricey. GFO is good if you have a reactor and are already dosing two part solution.

Interesting.

I just stwrted using phosguard and noticed that my HA problem is dying down.

I've used chemipire blue for mnths and saw no benefit whatsover and I agree, I don't think it lasts as long as they state.

For the price, its cheaper to buy the bulk packages and use media bags

Matrix carbon here too. Spheres rule! I haven't used Phosguard since the Nineties. There was an aluminum scare or something. The stuff does work. Anyone seeing any problems with it? I might like to try it again.

I love Matrix Carbon by Seachem, good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the spheres and how versatile it is because of it. On the other hand, dat ROX 0.8... :wub:

Also a fan of phosguard, but in very small amounts. Maybe an eighth of the recommended amount.

Another vote for the one-two punch of Seachem Matrix Carbon + Purigen. Been running it for years - the tank's squeaky clean of pest algae and doesn't have "that soupy tank smell".

I ran some ROX 0.8 a few months back just to see what the buzz was about... it does seem to be REALLY effective at water polishing, but overall I found the other two medias just seem to work better together for my tank. MC leaves some gaps between the its spheres that the Purigen beadlets just seem to fit better into.

I have to admit, I've just ordered some purigen and seachem matrix.

I've been fighting the tank smell for a couple weeks now. Even with weekly water changes it just keeps being a persistent problem.

I am running catbon in my reactor but it's just the generic type. And my chemipure blue just doesn't seem to have much effect at all

Hopefully I will be able to see results soon!

chemi pure + purigen.

i just won a few bags of purfiltrum which i will substitute for purigen in the future.

i've ran the same in my planted tanks with much success.

I love matrix carbon but had to get kent as the local store doesn't carry matrix.

The phosguard scare is nothing but hype and rumor. Theres a disclaimer on the website. Research showed it will only release aluminium when ph is below 5.3 and with the use of larger quantities of the product.

What smell do you have from your tank?

chemi pure + purigen.

i just won a few bags of purfiltrum which i will substitute for purigen in the future.

i've ran the same in my planted tanks with much success.

I'm currently running Purfiltrum in place of Purigen as well, again to to see what's up. Seems just about the same to me. But as it's such a small amount changed out each media refresh I'll probably stick with it.

Incidentally - the stuff looks the same to me as it's non-Aquavitro version. In a bigger tank than mine (9 gallon) it could get spendy to use long-term.

Mine smells like fresh clean ocean, someone else's stinks. I'm going to grab some Phosguard and see how it treats me. I never saw any problems with it and I used it a lot in many tanks. I think with the aluminum thing and the advent of GFO I just forgot about it.

Clown 79 - on an established tank fed a mix of richer foods over time you can get a very distinctive low-tide odor. Not "gag... so THAT'S why people say cycling with shrimp is disgusting" bad, but let's just say noticeable at close range.

Maybe it's just on mine, but I can practically tell when the carbon/Purigen (or Purfiltrum) has reached the not-so-effective age just by the fact that I'm suddenly aware of the tank having an odor at all.

^^

In the past my tank would get that low tide smell and I would know it's time to change the media, but as of late it has been more persistent.

I've gone so far as cleaning all the equipment and changing water weekly but it still smells a bit. It's not rotten death smell, but that distinct marine tank smell.

I don't mind it so much, but beings as its in my office. I'd rather the smell not exist at all.

Interesting. I was wondering what smell you were discussing. I know certain trapped gases can cause an odd smell but i wasn't aware of other reasons.

Good to know.

Mine smells like ocean, which is cool with me. I love the ocean.

It seems theres a lot of other options available in the US for media.

Interesting. I was wondering what smell you were discussing. I know certain trapped gases can cause an odd smell but i wasn't aware of other reasons.

Good to know.

Mine smells like ocean, which is cool with me. I love the ocean.

It seems theres a lot of other options available in the US for media.

There is but the hobby there is huge compared to Canada, but again they have like 10x the population.

Between J & L, Reef supplies, and Amazon, you can find a good selection of media in Canada, just at the local store level it can suck, I don't even have a salt store local, I have to drive to J & L to get even the basic supplies, but generally I order as shipping is basically the same cost as the toll bridge and gas.

I have actually seriously considered moving right across the border and commute to work on the Canadian side just so I could have better access to live stock through the various websites, but healthcare is too much $$. (I can live in either Canada or the US)

Have been using Purigen in a mesh bag (Seachem's "The Bag") in a high flow area of my sump for about 6 months now. I haven't seen an noticeable change in nutrient readings. In fact, I took it out because I didn't think it was doing anything... and within a week I noticed a distinct difference in both algae growth on glass and overall coral happiness. Promptly put some back in. There was still no noticeable change in test parameters... but within 2-3 days everything was back to it's normal happy state. So, Purigen will remain part of my routine.

Just ordered some Seagel (premixed combo of Matrix Carbon and PhosGuard) yesterday. So will have to report back on it in a month or two after I've had some time to see what it does.

Honestly optical media isn't nearly as good as it used to be; I don't even have a dvd drive on my current computer.
It's all about flash drives and network storage now. Much easier to get to everything.

Archived