inTank Media Baskets

Cookie jar pico style

ABC

I have decided to start a pico reef, due to where I live it will be a biotope of what I can legally collect, so it may take awhile to stock this little tank.

I think this tank is a good idea because of live happenings my tanks only last about a year. This tank I could shrink wrap it all together place in cooler and move it very easily so hopefully it will be a sucesful pico reef.

WHAT I HAVE SO FAR

5 w cobalt heater , inkbird temp contrller

1 Gallon cookie jar

Whisper air pump rated for 10 gallon

Whisper air pump rated for 20 gallons currently in use

1.5 pound of dry rock

About 2 inches of dry sand

I do have a battery operated back up air pump for power outages

And a Coral Compultion par 30 bulb

I let the wife pick out a accent table for it, and she found one she likes but still hasn't ordered yet.

a1o0w4.jpg

sxj4uf.jpg

Cute setup! Love all these new pico comings! Although Im not being against it but in my jar I only had a 0.5 inch sandbed so I can have more water. I also reduce a bit of my liverocks so I can accomodate more space and corals :D

However, its up to you on what plans you have. Just giving a suggestion :) what corals/critters are you planning to keep in there?

Cute setup! Love all these new pico comings! Although Im not being against it but in my jar I only had a 0.5 inch sandbed so I can have more water. I also reduce a bit of my liverocks so I can accomodate more space and corals :D

However, its up to you on what plans you have. Just giving a suggestion :) what corals/critters are you planning to keep in there?

thanks for looking, I might take the sand down to about an inch when I do the next few water changes.

Due to where I live I'm kinda limited on what I can keep so it will probely turn into a Zola and play garden with some inverts.

It should be pretty fun to find critters to stock it.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update I added three zoo colonies one seems upset a sesere animone and a dwarf zebra hermit crab.

I've been kinda worried about adding them two quick so I'm testing water daily and have water ready to go. So far it is going good though,

one very handy part of micro reefing is its the most free of testing if you ever want it to be

the weekly full or mostly full water changes reset all params, we only need temp and salt levels to run them including sps, all corals adapt to it and the minor variations the various salt mixes produce. feed/wc feed/wc is all it takes should testing ever get tedious

one very handy part of micro reefing is its the most free of testing if you ever want it to be

the weekly full or mostly full water changes reset all params, we only need temp and salt levels to run them including sps, all corals adapt to it and the minor variations the various salt mixes produce. feed/wc feed/wc is all it takes should testing ever get tedious

Makes sense i guess I always just worry about a new tank going through a mini cycle.

Hey I missed the part about mini cycle I see that was dry rock above. Good call

The way to avoid the ammonia spike is to just feed very carefully before the water change so no food rots in the system and wait a bit longer before adding more, what you have in there is fine so far and won't stress the new system

For some reason I thought you had all live rock

Hey I missed the part about mini cycle I see that was dry rock above. Good call

The way to avoid the ammonia spike is to just feed very carefully before the water change so no food rots in the system and wait a bit longer before adding more, what you have in there is fine so far and won't stress the new system

For some reason I thought you had all live rock

All dry rock and sand but so far it's going good. All the creatures looked good tonight the best they have so far. If I do get any ammonia I can change the wAter in about 5 minutes,

Looking nice! BTW what's that little tank beside the pico?

That little tank has three of the Hawaiian red volcano shrimp in it. I've had it for a year. It is maybe one cup of water.
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much has happened in the jar to update other than the anemone is crawling around. Last night he moved about a half inch and tonight he has already Moved about a half inch. Being this is a jar there is no powerheads or overflow to worry about. I pushed his Little Rock next to the big one so he could crawl onto the big one if he wants. He might like to be higher where there is more flow and light. My only concern is the heater but he is moving really slow so I think it will be OK.

• 3 weeks later...
MedievalITGuy

Is the little tank one of those self contained/sustaining systems? I just got one for my wife for Christmas, and it's really cool.

Your main tank is looking pretty nice too :)

Is the little tank one of those self contained/sustaining systems? I just got one for my wife for Christmas, and it's really cool.

you should try one! Im loving mine already! :D

They arent really that hard but further research wont do harm. Visit reefjar's website for tips and ideas if you ever plan on making one

MedievalITGuy

you should try one! Im loving mine already! :D

They arent really that hard but further research wont do harm. Visit reefjar's website for tips and ideas if you ever plan on making one

The self contained systems, or the Pico vase? Because I'm doing both :P I've just been too busy/lazy to write up a post on it.

IMG_20161212_124423.jpg

The little tank is the Hawaiian shrimp I feed them about twice s month and very rarely do a water change, it has no equipment at all and has been going for over a year.

Thanks for commenting

That right there is the definition of low maintenance! It sounds awesome!

One year ago I mixed s gallon of water for the shrimp tank, that gallon is about used up on water changes.

Archived