ReefCleaners.org

Help with two part dosing needed + low alk.

Sunstar

my alk is low... I mean very low. Low as in WTF. I don't want to say how low because - embarassing.

My calcium and magnesium are optimal. I have been slowly dosing alk - my products have been fluval sea for alk, mag and cal.

My test kits are salifert.

question at hand

I am planning on going to the shop to pick up a two parter.

Should I start using that now, or wait until my alk is in better position?

And how. I am doing it manually

Also, if I were to consider an automatic system - toying with the idea as next year's pet project, What is recommended for a cook's budget (as in virtually peanuts :P )

Don't be embarrassed. We have all had crap happen. I didn't test mag for a few mnths as my tank was just starting and I had only softies.

When i finally did test it was 1050(although the salt packaging claims 1350...not once in a yr)

So we need to know your ca, alk, and mag numbers. To help you better.

What corals are in the tank? Thats important.

What I first would do is test your newly made salt water for a water change. Find out what its mixing at. That will give you a better idea as to the fixing part.

If the alk is 8 or 9 then you know its not the salt.

I would try correcting it with water changes. Test your tank after a water change to see what the levels are at.

If your levels are correct after the water change, test it in a day or 2 after and see where they are at. Keep a log.

You may notice that your tank is consuming the elements and dosing will be needed.

To dose properly, you need to do the above so you can determine how much to dose.

Esv bionic is a great 2 part doser. You need to dose both alk and ca, they work together so as Alk rises, ca will drop. To keep them balanced, dose both.

I have some monitpora, a couple of acros, large head of trumpet, hammer, some blasto, acans mostly softies.

I am doing a water change tonight, so I will test after that change.

I was looking at the ESV bionic today, I am holding off until my alk which is just above 5 (I neglected my testing - not my waterchanges though) my mag is 1320 my cal is 450 or 540 - which ever one was the correct for the water. hte monti has been growing quite rapidly - as are the two big LPS.

I may need a bit of an assist regarding the maths as I tend to get easily confused when it comes to numbers as I can't remember them well, I get them all inverted and stuff.

I made water last week, for this water change, so the mix should not change too much right?

I am using RODI and all those filters and things were changed about a month ago.

You have a bit of fluctuation.

Definitely test the water change water first. You need to know what the numbers are. Then test the tank after water change.

Your ca is a bit high. The alk is low. You need to get it balanced.

The corals you have use up alk.

I see what is happening with my alk. My corals are using it extremely rapidly.

I am dosing 1ml at a time just now, and seeing how much 1ml raises my water

Archived