Cultivated Reef

first nano, drill it og keep it simple?

MadsDk

Hello to all you fellow reefers. A couple months ago, I had a 80 gallon reef which i loved! but due to a sudden move to a place with restricted space I had to close it down :-(

At the beginning I said to myself that i would not start op another reef when i could not have anything beyond a 40 gallon. But in the last couple of weeks I have been following some of your nano tanks and I must say, I am so impressed and inspired ! So I guess I'm joining the nano world afterall.

My problem is that I have never had a nano before and one of the things that impressed me was the simplicity of many of your nano tanks. I wanna have something similar.

So I am gonna place an order for a custom made nano tank 70 x 40 x 18 cm or 60 x 40 x 18 cm. build in high quality glass. But! do I drill it, or do I keep it simple and add a HOB filter or something like that? I really can't decide!

what would you do?

I am thinking a mixed reef with mainly soft and lps corals and very few fishes.

your best regard Mads

P.s. I am sorry if my grammar is a bit off, English is not my first language.

I am very very very new to saltwater and my current 10g nano (a month old now) is my first saltwater ever. And as people know, the smaller the saltwater the "harder" it can be.

That said, I've been keeping things simple (power head and HOB only with LR) and so far have been having great success. Parameters are good and corals are doing great.

Not sure if that helps but being a newbie to reefs, I am so far doing great keeping things simple so I'm sure a seasoned reefer like yourself will have no trouble at all.

Hello and Welcome

From personal exerience, I find little difference having a 10g to a 55g. The only difference was space and sometimes parameter stability.

I like keeping my systems simple, for me its easier and far less expensive.

I currently have 2 tanks. A 10g IM all in one mixed reef and a 15g standard mixed reef with hob. Both are nice tanks, love the look of the aio but my 15g with hob has run far better with A LOT less issues.

An hob works well as long as media is maintained and its cleaned out monthly. A sump is great for hiding things and additional water volume but its not necessary.

Cencalfishguy56

I am very very very new to saltwater and my current 10g nano (a month old now) is my first saltwater ever. And as people know, the smaller the saltwater the "harder" it can be.

That said, I've been keeping things simple (power head and HOB only with LR) and so far have been having great success. Parameters are good and corals are doing great.

Not sure if that helps but being a newbie to reefs, I am so far doing great keeping things simple so I'm sure a seasoned reefer like yourself will have no trouble at all.

nice honest review from a newbie I appreciate that and hope you are enjoying this addicting hobby :)

Hello and Welcome

From personal exerience, I find little difference having a 10g to a 55g. The only difference was space and sometimes parameter stability.

I like keeping my systems simple, for me its easier and far less expensive.

I currently have 2 tanks. A 10g IM all in one mixed reef and a 15g standard mixed reef with hob. Both are nice tanks, love the look of the aio but my 15g with hob has run far better with A LOT less issues.

An hob works well as long as media is maintained and its cleaned out monthly. A sump is great for hiding things and additional water volume but its not necessary.

lol the fusion is that bad?

thank you so much, your help is very appreciated. How do you guys hide heathers, auto top off and such, without a sump? could i use a canister filter instead or would the HOB filter be better?

Interesting to hear the fusion runs worse than the 15. I wonder if size has something to do with it.

thank you so much, your help is very appreciated. How do you guys hide heathers, auto top off and such, without a sump? could i use a canister filter instead or would the HOB filter be better?

You can put ato and reservoir behind. The switch will have to be in the display if it is a standard tank.

A canister could work, but you have to clean them out quite frequently.

thanks guys. If i were too drill it and hook it up to a sump would you recommend using a skimmer or just maintain it with water changes and some filterfloss and carbon? Im a bit afraid of it getting to complex and removing the "minimalistic" approach, if you know what i mean.

Since you want to keep it simple with this small tank size (13-14g), you can just do the AIO which has a false back to hide nearly all your equipment (heater, pump, thermometer, etc.).

Chemical/mechanical media, skimmers...all can be replaced by simple regular water changes so this is just a matter of choice. Water top up can be done manually (daily), you can make one for next to nothing (I have used 'Pet Bottles' for over 8 years) or buy one for a bundle of cash.

I have a 12g with just a few small gobies and a few crustaceans (anemone shrimps, hermit crabs). Great combo and very entertaining :)

Drilling or not won't impact whether it's simple or not. With a sump, you can move whatever equipment you decide to use out of sight. Without, you'll be hanging it all on the back where it's visible. The only HOB equipment you have to be extra careful with is the protein skimmer due those sometimes overflowing. There are a few that are designed in such a way that that is not an issue though.

The question I think you should consider, what equipment do you plan or want to run on your tank and what look and feel are you going for?

Drill it! It would be a shame to clutter up a custom tank with HOB nonsense. You could do an AIO insert but you will be limited on what will fit in it. Sumps are great to hide all your crap and you have the flexibility to add equipment down the road. If you do decide to have it drilled make sure you have a secondary hole for an emergency drain. I have had a single drain durso clog up and flood the house..... its no fun.

Nah, the fusion as a tank isn't bad but I find that in the 10g getting the perfect flow and keeping things in check is a pain. Cleaning the back chambers are a pain, its real small in there.

I just prefer peronally either a larger aio or the standard rectangle tanks.

My wife hates when I am working on my Fluval M40 AIO, the back chambers are too small, and a pain to get anything out of, clean them. I wont do an AIO again, I just don't like them.

I would do a normal tank and drill it, but I don't trust myself, nor do I have the tools or space to do it.

Nah, the fusion as a tank isn't bad but I find that in the 10g getting the perfect flow and keeping things in check is a pain. Cleaning the back chambers are a pain, its real small in there.

I just prefer peronally either a larger aio or the standard rectangle tanks.

nice honest review from a newbie I appreciate that and hope you are enjoying this addicting hobby :)

Very addicting. Went into my LFS for some cerith snails today and left with a black/white clown. May be going back this week for a torch coral too.

Cencalfishguy56

Drill it! It would be a shame to clutter up a custom tank with HOB nonsense. You could do an AIO insert but you will be limited on what will fit in it. Sumps are great to hide all your crap and you have the flexibility to add equipment down the road. If you do decide to have it drilled make sure you have a secondary hole for an emergency drain. I have had a single drain durso clog up and flood the house..... its no fun.

my starfish climbed into my overflow :( luckily I got home from a quick trip overnight and pulled it out before it clogged the drain completely lol
Cencalfishguy56

Very addicting. Went into my LFS for some cerith snails today and left with a black/white clown. May be going back this week for a torch coral too.

lol that's how it works! Love torches! My first one was 2 heads of neon green with yellow tips

lets just say that I drilled it, do you know of any overflows which would fit nicely in a nano reef without taking up too much space and somehow look sleek, minimalistic and stylish?

Got a price on the tank yesterday, 100 dollars if i choose starfire glass for the entire project, I guess Im in for the ride!

Archived