Pod Your Reef

Large skimmer on 10g questions

Leadfoot327

Hey everyone. My name is Cody. I'm from pottstown pa. I'm new to the forum here. I am just getting back into reef aquariums after about 5 years of not having a setup. I had Joe from simply nano build me a custom tabk and Sump setup. It's about 10g display tank with a maybe 4 gallon Sump. I will post up some pictures when I get some spare time.

My question is. I have an aquac ev120 skimmer thathe I kept from back when I had my 55g setup. I bought a 550gph pu.p for it and am just starting to set up my new nano tank. Obviously this is a large skimmer especially for the size tank, but since I have everything to make it work is it worth hooking up, I assume it will allow me to have a few more fish than normally would go into a 10 gallon setup. Just wanted to get some feedback from people who may have experimented with a similar scenario.

Welcome.

Most ppl don't run skimmers on nano's under 20g. Some don't run them on 30g.

There is the concern that skimming on nano's under 20g can actually deplete the system which leads to other issues.

Weekly waterchanges should be enough for nano's, sometimes twice a week is needed if there is high nutrients.

Most will advise not over stocking a nano regardless of skimmer or not.

Keeping a low bioload and having a good maintenance routine is key for nano's.

Not sure how well a large skimmer will work on a tank that small.

I wouldn't say you would really need it,and wouldn't really say let it be a "excuse" to add more fish either. Depending on your stocking,and what coral you plan to keep would really be the deciding factor if you would want to run that particular skimmer on a total volume as small as yours. I wouldn't say its a bad suggestion either,depending on how heavy and often you want to feed and your water change schedule ect. Those will mainly be your deciding factor on to run it or not too.

I think a weekly water change of 5 gallons would be plenty for 14 gallons,and bi-weekly change of any carbon or gfo depending on using a reactor or passively.

I run an oversized skimmer on my 23 gallon system. I feed heavy and dose heavy though. At the moment it really isn't pulling much out because I have stopped my dosing and heavy feeding for 1 month because I went way overboard. Now the water is left a bit too clean. When I begin dosing things like aminos and coral food again I expect it to start pulling out the driest poopy skimmate ever like it was before. This allows me to do less water changes.

FYI I have a Coral Box DC300 which is gauged for 40-90 gallons.

I have a skimmer rated for 75 gallons on my 20 gallon. I have one fish. I feed normal to heavy and change 4.5 gallons a week. But my skimmer still pulls out some serious crud, and I need to clean the cup every week. Couldn't imagine running my tank without a skimmer.

Thanks for all of the useful info. I have always used a skimmer as my main source of filtration aside from plantsmat@aol.com and live rock and used to have good luck. I figured if I run this skimmer it will be there if it needs it and if it doesn't skim atleast I am adding a gallon or 2 to my total volume ad well as some aeration.

Archived