SaltCritters.com

Pump Malfunctioned- Help!

msparklym13

Ughhhhh I am so upset. Last night my air pump hose popped off the base. I woke up in the middle of the night reattached and went back to sleep. Woke up this morning to it not attached again. I pulled it out cleaned it and got it back going. The lights in my tank turned on and all of my fish are on the sandbed barely alive.

Can one night of no flow kill all the fish?? My cleaner shrimp and Cucumber are fine, business as usual but all of my fish are near dead.

I am just so sad, is there any chance they will survive??

That sounds weird... do you have any other source of flow in the tank? Pretty much anything that moves water will assist with aeration due to making ripples in the water's surface while circulating it.

If possible I'd pop an airstone in and let that run for awhile, or just scoop out a pitcher of water & aerate it manually (shaking like crazy) before pouring it back in.

Being the absentminded type, I routinely forget to turn back on either the corner filter pump or the koralia 285 circulation pump after feeding/lights out. But either one alone is able to keep everything happily breathing.

Whats the air pump and hose for?

Is this the only source of water movement?

If so, then it is possible for oxygen depletion to occur overnight.

yes it is the only source-- -ughhhhhh One fish dead, heading to fish store when they open to get an airstone. The other 3 are almost dead :-(

So bummed- I only have one powerhead-

As I said, you can aerate the tank with nothing more than a milk jug/OJ bottle if you have to. [Please clean them first ;) ]

Fill container 3/4 full of water from your tank, seal the cap & shake vigorously for a minute. Pour it back into the tank. Repeat a few times.

Good luck! It's never fun when equipment failure jeopardizes your tank.

Like Clown said, if its the only flow it can kill your fish. I lost all my fish except my betta in my planted because of a pump failure :(

Do you have a pump for mixing saltwater? Maybe you can put that in for the mean time.

I'm confused - you have a tank large enough for 4 saltwater fish and your only source of water movement is an air pump? Are we talking some crazy manifold setup? If not it seems like bad planning...

That being said what are your fish? I'll be honest it doesn't make sense that they would all die after only a few hours of no flow. More likely you have a tight fitting lid and the level of dissolved oxygen fell - as clown already suggested. Still I would think that as you re-oxygenated the water once you woke up they would perk up again? What is your temperature at? If it's elevated that further decreases the waters oxygen carrying capacity. Also I'm curious what size tank this is... Too many fish in a small tank will also result in quicker de-oxygenation of the water.

i was confused too about the air pump and hose.

I use one for mixing water or battery back up for power outtage but not a source of water movement

As ajmckay asked, what size tank and do you have an tight fighting lid?

Yes I have a Biocube 29, the powerhead is the stock and I have had no issues prior. I actually asked about upgrading recently and was told the stock is pretty solid. I have thought about adding an additional but flow has been good. During the night the "hose"(I'm sure this isn't the technical term) attached to the base somehow popped off. No clue how. When I went to reattach it this morning all the fish were on the sand bed. CUC, cleaner shrimp etc all fine. Corals, albeit annoyed are alive. Temp was normal but I do have a tight fitting lid as it is a BC- I recently swapped out the hood with the new 32 LED.

Patback/Ajmckay- It isn't super fancy since it is just stock but I have never had someone tell me it wouldn't suffice. I would love your feedback on additional sources because I would NEVER want this to happen again. This has been such a horrible experience and if any of you have tips on additional water flow I would greatly appreciate and will purchase this week.

I had two clowns, a neon dotty back and Mandarin. I just finished training my Mandarin to eat frozen after months of sitting by my tank and trying every food imaginable. The only new addition (and my last) was the dottyback and he was flourishing. Made friends with my Mandarin and they shared a cave(Crazy, right??)

Hi sorry I was using the wrong terms- I was really upset this morning and frantic to ask advice since LFS wasn't open- I woke up to my nanny calling in sick (I had back to back work meetings all day), my fish pretty much dead, two toddlers screaming and a flat tire.

Wasn't my favorite Friday! :-(

Don't rush to the store for an airstone. Rush to the store for an actual powerhead.

Thanks for this, please see my response.

So the hose that is attached to your return pump came off? And you had no water circulation all night? That's not good. You may want to invest in a powerhead for in tank circulation. I have no problem coming over and giving you a hand. I could bring the wife and kids and make it a play date. Let me know. I have extra pumps and plumbing parts here.

LoL - sorry but I'm still confused.... In your first post you say:

Ughhhhh I am so upset. Last night my air pump hose popped off the base.

But now you say you're using the stock powerhead? Just to make sure we're talking about the same things:

This is a powerhead:

s-l225.jpg

This is an air pump:

aquarium-air-pump.jpg

I'm assuming you actually have a powerhead and the hose that connects the output to the return nozzle in the display area is what came disconnected, correct?

How are the fish now? Did they all die or just the one this morning?

Two things I can think of immediately to safeguard from this in the future.

1) Get some ventilation in the lid. Modify it so that there's more air flow getting to the water. Honestly running a reef tank covered is not okay IMO. Read up on gas exchange and you'll find that we underestimate how much surface area our tanks actually need to function. Then go and see what some other BC owners do about increasing gas exchange. From what I recall many people simply ditch the hood and go open top.

2) Whether the stock pump is enough is totally dependent on what kinds of coral you have. A few soft corals and some low-flow LPS and you're probably fine but IMO it would help the tank to put in a circulation pump such as a koralia in the display area. It will keep detritus from settling and the stronger flow will be beneficial to most corals given what you have now.

So the hose that is attached to your return pump came off? And you had no water circulation all night? That's not good. You may want to invest in a powerhead for in tank circulation. I have no problem coming over and giving you a hand. I could bring the wife and kids and make it a play date. Let me know. I have extra pumps and plumbing parts here.

Yes exactly. No circulation. I woke up to my husband telling me- Your tank sounds weird... it was pitch black, I went in and I thought reattached it- nope. I recently upgraded and took out the Bioballs and added the intank basket. The crap in the back was disgusting and I thought after two water changes it was shaping up nicely. This morning when I pulled the pump out the hose was slimy so I think it must have popped off with the leftover debris. OMG that would be beyond amazing! I would be so appreciative and it would be so nice to know to get to know you and your family! Thanks so much, you are always such a great resource. Since I am only a year in the technical terms sometimes escape me but I am trying! I spend so much time researching but when I was stressed all I could thing of was air hose LOL

LoL - sorry but I'm still confused.... In your first post you say:

But now you say you're using the stock powerhead? Just to make sure we're talking about the same things:

This is a powerhead:

s-l225.jpg

This is an air pump:

aquarium-air-pump.jpg

I'm assuming you actually have a powerhead and the hose that connects the output to the return nozzle in the display area is what came disconnected, correct?

How are the fish now? Did they all die or just the one this morning?

Two things I can think of immediately to safeguard from this in the future.

1) Get some ventilation in the lid. Modify it so that there's more air flow getting to the water. Honestly running a reef tank covered is not okay IMO. Read up on gas exchange and you'll find that we underestimate how much surface area our tanks actually need to function. Then go and see what some other BC owners do about increasing gas exchange. From what I recall many people simply ditch the hood and go open top.

2) Whether the stock pump is enough is totally dependent on what kinds of coral you have. A few soft corals and some low-flow LPS and you're probably fine but IMO it would help the tank to put in a circulation pump such as a koralia in the display area. It will keep detritus from settling and the stronger flow will be beneficial to most corals given what you have now.

YES- I am so sorry- I don't have an air pump I have the stock powerhead. Sorry :-( I just think of it is an air pump but obvs I used the wrong terms. I am trying to keep the lid for a few reasons- I have small kiddos and two dogs - My big dog is the kind of mutt who would jump up to lick the water and my 3 year old thinks it is her tank and wants her hand in it. Hood has been the safest plan. I completely agree with you and at some point will move to the next level.

I have a few Zoas, Duncan (who is flourishing-6 new heads this month!) and a Frogspawn who has split twice. I REALLY appreciate your advice and will talk to Sancho or purchase a circulation pump.

You are correct- 3/4 are dead. My Mandarin is the only one left and she isn't doing well. I just keep hoping she will pull through. She is really special and I have spent months getting her to understand and take food from me.

YES- I am so sorry- I don't have an air pump I have the stock powerhead. Sorry :-( I just think of it is an air pump but obvs I used the wrong terms. I am trying to keep the lid for a few reasons- I have small kiddos and two dogs - My big dog is the kind of mutt who would jump up to lick the water and my 3 year old thinks it is her tank and wants her hand in it. Hood has been the safest plan. I completely agree with you and at some point will move to the next level.

I have a few Zoas, Duncan (who is flourishing-6 new heads this month!) and a Frogspawn who has split twice. I REALLY appreciate your advice and will talk to Sancho or purchase a circulation pump.

You are correct- 3/4 are dead. My Mandarin is the only one left and she isn't doing well. I just keep hoping she will pull through. She is really special and I have spent months getting her to understand and take food from me.

Whoops looks like you clarified the issue while I was typing...

Bummer - sucks losing fish due to stuff like this. One way to increase the gas exchange while still keeping the lid would be to actually use an air stone (LoL). Put it in the back chamber or something with a bit of a cover on it to limit how much it splashes but it will pull air from outside the tank and "inject" it into the water. Granted this still wouldn't have helped in the situation you were in, but in general I think getting more gas exchange in there would be good for the aerobic organisms. Alternatively you could put it in the tank itself and have it on a timer so it only functions at night or something (you can get ridiculously quiet air pumps). What's your pH at normally?

Ah , so the hose attached to the return pump came off. Is the hose on the bc vinyl or solid plastic?

In the IM it's a soft material, when i upgraded my pump the hose was a tiny bit loose, i heated it with a light and perfect fit now.

You could always zip tie it so it holds on better.

I would definitely get a powerhead for in the display, a hydor or even tunze will help.

I am also a firm believer of no closed top reefs. The gas exchange and temp control seems to be an issue.

If you're concerned abiut jumpers you could get eggcrate to help or read up on what others do with the bc.

fishfreak0114

Aww, sorry you lost them :( I hope Picassa pulls through.

I too have a bc29, and I've had the same issue of the hose popping off. Did you reattach it and get it running again? Or does the pump not work anymore? If it's working, aim it near the surface for increased oxygen exchange. I leave mine there 24/7 and run a power head for more flow. I leave the maintenance part of the hood open, no need to worry about jumpers since only the filtration is uncovered :)

I would for sure take sancho up on his offer to help. He's so knowledgable and good at coming up with solutions. When I ran my biocube, I had am MJ1200 (replaced the stock pump) and two hydor koralias in the DT. One pointing behind the rocks and across the back to keep detritus from building up and one near the return nozzle near the top and pointing slightly up to increase surface agitation. I also ram the biocube fans 24/7 to increase the air exchange.

It's ALWAYS good practice to keep a spare cheap powerhead in case of emergencies like yours. Plus the last ditch effort of shaking a gallon of saltwater a few times helps big time.

You could go a month with no filtration and just water changes but you'll only last hours with no water flow

Ah , so the hose attached to the return pump came off. Is the hose on the bc vinyl or solid plastic?

In the IM it's a soft material, when i upgraded my pump the hose was a tiny bit loose, i heated it with a light and perfect fit now.

You could always zip tie it so it holds on better.

I would definitely get a powerhead for in the display, a hydor or even tunze will help.

I am also a firm believer of no closed top reefs. The gas exchange and temp control seems to be an issue.

If you're concerned abiut jumpers you could get eggcrate to help or read up on what others do with the bc.

I am going to zip tie and also add a powerhead in the display- exactly, it popped off. I am not sure what it is to be honest. I just can't believe it happened :-(

Aww, sorry you lost them :( I hope Picassa pulls through.

I too have a bc29, and I've had the same issue of the hose popping off. Did you reattach it and get it running again? Or does the pump not work anymore? If it's working, aim it near the surface for increased oxygen exchange. I leave mine there 24/7 and run a power head for more flow. I leave the maintenance part of the hood open, no need to worry about jumpers since only the filtration is uncovered :)

I pulled Picassa out today. Fighting tears with her- She was so special and by far my most loved fish. I won't go into it because it is very dorky but trust me when I say losing her was by far the hardest. Almost one year in and every day is a new learning experience. The pump is fine it was just a fluke thing. I am going to follow your advice and air it at the surface and then put a power head in. Thank you so so much!

I would for sure take sancho up on his offer to help. He's so knowledgable and good at coming up with solutions. When I ran my biocube, I had am MJ1200 (replaced the stock pump) and two hydor koralias in the DT. One pointing behind the rocks and across the back to keep detritus from building up and one near the return nozzle near the top and pointing slightly up to increase surface agitation. I also ram the biocube fans 24/7 to increase the air exchange.

I am going to 100% - Gosh these learning lessons are the WORST. After the crappy Ich 7 months ago I thought I finally was in a good place. Fish happy, corals thriving and most important Picassa eating frozen. Just when I was feeling confident... BOOM slapped down to 0 :-(

I just wish each learning lesson didn't mean fish dying. Yesterday was such a sad day and I kept hoping Picassa would pull through. Removing her today was certainly my saddest fish moment :-(

I am going to 100% - Gosh these learning lessons are the WORST. After the crappy Ich 7 months ago I thought I finally was in a good place. Fish happy, corals thriving and most important Picassa eating frozen. Just when I was feeling confident... BOOM slapped down to 0 :-(

I just wish each learning lesson didn't mean fish dying. Yesterday was such a sad day and I kept hoping Picassa would pull through. Removing her today was certainly my saddest fish moment :-(

I'm so so sorry, M. This stuff happens and in many cases, it's just beyond our control. I had a pair of Coral crouchers - Dot and Bob. They needed target feeding so I really enjoyed them. Well, one day, Dot jumped and I found her crispy on the tank stand :(. Then a few weeks ago, I found Bob laying on the sand bed with sting marks all over him. My Pom Pom crab had been hanging out close to Bob and I didn't think much of it, but with the sting mark, I'm pretty sure the pom's anemones got him. It was sad and heartbreaking so I can totally understand your pain!

Archived