SaltCritters.com

What's coming out of my coral?

lturtlethomas

lturtlethomas

post-92265-0-95934600-1476959195_thumb.jpegpost-92265-0-39535800-1476959280_thumb.jpegI set up a 24g in my marine science classroom in August. Everything is *knock on wood* going very well so far. I attribute that to luck & all of the research I did on this awesome site - so thanks to all who post here!

Two days ago I was inspecting our tank and saw a long stringy thing coming out of the coral. Later I saw a second one. Yesterday morning when I came into my room I didn't see any sign of these string-like things anywhere. Started also recently an aquarium club at school so other students can learn as I build this tank. We met after school yesterday, did some research on this and couldn't find anything. So I knew where to ask for help!

What is it? Normal/not normal? Also - if anyone can ID this coral I'd love it!

Thanks so much!

attachicon.gifCoral question-expelling something.jpegattachicon.gifCoral 2 - expelling.jpegI set up a 24g in my marine science classroom in August. Everything is *knock on wood* going very well so far. I attribute that to luck & all of the research I did on this awesome site - so thanks to all who post here!

Two days ago I was inspecting our tank and saw a long stringy thing coming out of the coral. Later I saw a second one. Yesterday morning when I came into my room I didn't see any sign of these string-like things anywhere. Started also recently an aquarium club at school so other students can learn as I build this tank. We met after school yesterday, did some research on this and couldn't find anything. So I knew where to ask for help!

What is it? Normal/not normal? Also - if anyone can ID this coral I'd love it!

Thanks so much!

looks to be expelled zooxanthellae, in short the zoa made too much of the symbiotic algae and so it got rid of some, usually means theres a good amount of light and nutrients. keep an eye on it as it should go away quickly. the coral in question is a zoanthid,

PooP :D no worries

You can catch an Acan going through the same deal after eating and some zoos who decide to eat as well... I have seen both in my tank go through this behavior

I have not seen zoos who haven't eaten in my tank... go through this behavior IMO thats whats going on

Archived