Pod Your Reef

Cleaning Rocks

Tokeisch

Hello all. Was wanting to know how do I clean my rocks that have that green stringy stuff on them. I have three rocks that was given to me from someone that tore down a tank to help me get mine established. I'm not beyond just removing them and adding in new life rock in its place.

Whuddya think?

I appreciate any help and/or opinions.

-Toke

how about this for boundaries

nothing you do to the rocks including freshwater rinse, which you shouldn't do to preserve life on the rock, will kill the bacteria. you would literally have to pour liquid antibacterial medicine on the rock repeatedly/and or soak it on purpose for days, to kill the bacteria. that means, make it algae free any way you want/. cheat if you want. use a blue jet flame grill lighter to burn off the algae, doesn't matter.

If your rock has no sponges or obvious life, its just live rock and some algae, you should just scrape off the algae and hit that cleaned area with peroxide from the med cabinet, perfect reset and no loss.

what I do to my whole tank + sps and lps corals and starfish and shrimp in a cleaning session on my youtube videos is harsher than you are contemplating doing to the rocks in one single pass. im betting you are not preparing to take all your rocks and set them in the air on the cabinet for 30 mins w the corals sitting there as well, no water, as you hot-tap water rinse out the sandbed :) then reassemble it all without a recycle.

Thank you Brandon.

I was reading so many conflicting opinions regarding rock cleaning. Didn't want to advise anything I wasn't 100% on as I've never done it myself.

I was pretty sure a scrubbing with peroxide wouldn't harm bacteria.

Ok cool.... So I clean it off and pour peroxide on it then just put back in the tank or do I rinse it in old tank water first? I just have three small rocks (2 the size of a nice sized lemon and one the size of a softball). I would like to add another 10-20 lbs of life rock though...(what's you opinion of Life Rock?).

Lol, I though I posted this....Update!

So I scrubbed the living hell outta my rocks and I got about 98% of the stuff off. I peroxided the rocks then rinsed in old tank water and placed back in tank.

Rinse it well in ro/di before putting it back in the tank.

As long as its rinsed you're ok.

I don't know much about the liferock. Its quite costly, I see.

Looks pretty cool.

What sz tank again and how much rock in there already? You don't want to over crowd the tank. You want room for corals :)

48g Bowfront

About 35lbs rock. 30lbs of life rock from OPA

I was thinking of ordering about 10-15 lbs from Premium Aquatics.

I created a login to the Jax Reef & Marine Club.

Lol, I bought a RO/DI system already. After what I've spent so far already, it'll pay for itself in six months.

I have a total of 35lbs, a mixture of live rock and life rock. Was thinking of ordering another 10-15 lbs of live rock from Permium Aquatics website. That would be a total of 45-50 lbs. only reason I wanna order from them is because I may got some extra goodies. :)

Archived