Pod Your Reef

Embarrassed, Need Advice

Astinus

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, are you talking about the fern caulerpa?

Yes after researching it, I agree it does look like fern caulerpa. Whew! but

"Disadvantages

Although Caulerpa can be beneficial it has severe disadvantages. Caulerpa is a very fast grower that can quickly attain plague proportions. It can (and will) overgrow corals and slower growing macroalgae, quickly smothering them. This can also happen in the wild, which is why Caulerpacolonies that appear outside of their natural range are so alarming to marine biologists; without their natural predators to keep them in check, such colonies can smother native algae and corals.

If kept it in a display tank it is best to keep Caulerpa off of any live rock formations, and instead plant your Caulerpa on a sand bed where it can be easily pruned as required. Since any piece of rhizome left in the tank can grow into a whole new patch, trimming Caulerpa has to be done very carefully. Ideally, Caulerpa will be maintained in a sump or refugium away from the slower growing corals and other sessile animals housed in the main display." posted in wetwebmedia.com by By Adam Jenkins © 2009

So I just tested for ammonia. It is at a 2!!!! :rant::tears:

I Just remembered I have some Ammo Carb! I bought it for the 75 FW tank 2 years ago. I have an open space in my

media rack in the rear chamber. Can I use this along with my prime til I get this back to 0?

When I went to Petsmart I picked up the Ammonia Test and IO Reef Crystals and plan on using this product from now on.

I will just get extra RO/DI from LFS. I usually get 5 gals, will get 10 gallons, maybe 15. 10 for SW and 5 for top offs.

Thoughts?

As for that zoa rock with what certainly looks like bryopsis-Aaaggghhhh! I'm sorry my friend. Best advise I can give on that is to cut/break that entire section of the rock away, even if it means that you may lose some of your beautiful zoas. treat the fresh edge with straight peroxide and let it sit for 3-4 minutes (your other zoas will be fine out of water for that period) Rinse with fresh RO/DI and then replace in tank. Hopefully it (the bryopsis) isn't anywhere else in the tank. Take care of it NOW! And I mean right now! :rant:

I removed that algae yesterday, and I am pretty sure I got it all. I pulled out that Zoa rock disk and pulled it all up.

I am glad that it was an isolated patch and dealt with it right then and there. I had been meaning to ask about that growth, I just didn't get around to asking about it yesterday and posting the pics t'day.

TY so much for confirming my suspicion about that algae, Penny. I Know u are having a battle with it. Or, U had a nasty battle :owned::owned::rant::owned:

Wait, are you talking about the fern caulerpa?

Yes Gena, That is what I pulled out. I Googled Bryopsis and it looked pretty close to what was growing.

Damn, well, I erred on the side of caution.

I use Api now for ca, alk, and nitrates because the results were the exact same as my salifert tests.

I always used Api for ammonia. I had no issues.

I use Salifert for phos and mag

A refractometer is so much better than hydrometers IMO. With hydrometers any salt residue, unevel level, or a bubble can alter the results. One of the best things I invested in was my refractometer.

As for aiptasia x, when you use it, make sure you turn off the pumps. Leave it for 15mins. I do it during water changes. Cover the aiptasia in it, you want to creep up to them and not touch them or they close up and won't die.

Off Topic...I have mentioned my new Protein Skimmer, the AquaMaxx HOB-1.

I couldn't understand why it wasn't "Skimming". DUH!! I thought I had the Pump Primed. Well, it wasn't!!

I just looked at the plumbing coming in from the rear chamber entering the skimmer. There was air in that

clear tube. I just got it primed properly and made sure the cup was at it's highest point. Glad I did...It is producing bubbles quite nicely now! I am relieved to know that I did not get a bum skimmer. I had been reading that this skimmer could take a few days to a few weeks

to break in.

Just thought I'd let u folks know.

I use Api now for ca, alk, and nitrates because the results were the exact same as my salifert tests.

I always used Api for ammonia. I had no issues.

I use Salifert for phos and mag

A refractometer is so much better than hydrometers IMO. With hydrometers any salt residue, unevel level, or a bubble can alter the results. One of the best things I invested in was my refractometer.

As for aiptasia x, when you use it, make sure you turn off the pumps. Leave it for 15mins. I do it during water changes. Cover the aiptasia in it, you want to creep up to them and not touch them or they close up and won't die.

TY Clown :) Others have also given advice regarding the hydrometer. I always, after use, rinse it clean in RO/DI.

Iwill fill it quarter to half way and shake it vigorously on it's side while I keep my fingers over the holes that drain it.

I shake it pretty good. I empty it and shake it a little more. I always measure on the level and check for bubbles :)

TYVM for the advice on the Aiptasia, the sick bastards! Also, very good advice to do so when doing a wc :)

TY...TY..TY!

So I just tested for ammonia. It is at a 2!!!! :rant::tears:

I Just remembered I have some Ammo Carb! I bought it for the 75 FW tank 2 years ago. I have an open space in my

media rack in the rear chamber. Can I use this along with my prime til I get this back to 0?

When I went to Petsmart I picked up the Ammonia Test and IO Reef Crystals and plan on using this product from now on.

I will just get extra RO/DI from LFS. I usually get 5 gals, will get 10 gallons, maybe 15. 10 for SW and 5 for top offs.

Thoughts?

I removed that algae yesterday, and I am pretty sure I got it all. I pulled out that Zoa rock disk and pulled it all up.

I am glad that it was an isolated patch and dealt with it right then and there. I had been meaning to ask about that growth, I just didn't get around to asking about it yesterday and posting the pics t'day.

TY so much for confirming my suspicion about that algae, Penny. I Know u are having a battle with it. Or, U had a nasty battle :owned::owned::rant::owned:

Ammo Carb isn't for Saltwater, fresh water only. Usually the package says Freshwater only, or don't use in Saltwater. Best not to use it.

Ammo Carb isn't for Saltwater, fresh water only. Usually the package says Freshwater only, or don't use in Saltwater. Best not to use it.

TY Squampton :) Haven't used it yet, wanted a reply before I used it. again, TY for the reply and I certainly won't use it.

But, I will continue to dose prime every day, and test ammonia every day, until it is gone, ammonia that is.

With ammonia at 2, I do not have a Nitrite test yet, am I safe in assuming I have started a cycle and I should expect my nitrates to

elevate at some point?

Update.

Figured out the Skimmer...WOW! That skimmer has been pulling out a lot of Gunk!

Just tested Ammonia. Yesterday was 2, today it is 0.5 I know it is still way to much, but it is going down and

in the right direction!

Just Tested Nitrates. Nitrates are between 10 and 20. Kind of hard for me to tell.

I am inclined to correlate the issues with the inclusion of the skimmer and then my mistake of not making sure the

pump was fully primed.

What do u folks think? Am I finally going in the right direction?

I don't think the skimmer has anything to do with it. Having the equipment in your tank and not running wouldn't have caused an ammonia spike or parameter fluctuations. Maybe I'm missing what you're asking. I don't know there's a clearcut answer/silver bullet here other than you just need to track stuff. How's your surface agitation? is a lack of o2 causing die off?

I don't think the skimmer has anything to do with it. Having the equipment in your tank and not running wouldn't have caused an ammonia spike or parameter fluctuations. Maybe I'm missing what you're asking. I don't know there's a clearcut answer/silver bullet here other than you just need to track stuff. How's your surface agitation? is a lack of o2 causing die off?

I have both returns aimed at the surface and to the sides. Alternating for 2 minutes on each side.

I honestly have no idea what could have caused the Ammonia spike.

I feed frozen food items for both Coral, Filter feeders and the fish. I turkey baste the rocks daily, could

any of these food stuffs, which might not have been caught into the filter cause the ammonia?

Like others, I wish I knew the cause of the spike.

Good thing is the ammonia is on the drop.

No, I don't think so. It would've been something larger than a food source unless you dumped a bunch of extra in. Did anything die in the rocks? Did you move the rocks around significantly and disturb detritus significantly?

Feeding frozen everyday could be the cause of high nutrients. Doing a few larger waterchanges will reduce the nitrates.

As for ammonia, something bigger than frozen food caused it. Have you suddenly lost a bunch of snails? Anything else die in the tank? What about your water source?

Have you tested your waterchange water for ammonia? Its a long shot but others have had it occur.

How much rock do you have and how many fish?

How much nopox do you dose and how often?

I haven't dose Nopox recently. Nitrates had been 0. BUT, before the issue, I was dosing 3 milliliters every day when the nitrates were

detected on the test. The nitrates had been 20 and I was dosing nopox. When Nitrates dropped to 5, I dosed 1 mil.

Nopox did help me get Trates under 5 and I was cautious about dosing. Long story short...I have not dosed Nopox in the passed 4 days, I think, test was 0.

Feeding frozen everyday could be the cause of high nutrients. Doing a few larger waterchanges will reduce the nitrates.

As for ammonia, something bigger than frozen food caused it. Have you suddenly lost a bunch of snails? Anything else die in the tank? What about your water source?

Have you tested your waterchange water for ammonia? Its a long shot but others have had it occur.

How much rock do you have and how many fish?

No, Haven't tested water source. Hadn't thought about it.

LR is about 20 or 25 lbs.

3 fish. 2 Black banded damsels and an algae blenny.

I am considering removing rocks and Cleaning Sand bed surface. Find out how many empty shells I have.

Talking about rock, I have/had a lot of Sponge(s) growing, I think they may have died. Haven't done a thorough

visual.

If you dose nopox without skimming, it can deplete your o2 levels. Were you dosing it when the skimmer was off line? With a heavy fish bioload which you had it could've caused issues.

Carbon dosing can be risky if you're not keeping track of parameters closely.

Stella gave some great advice.

Test your waterchsnge water. I've encountered a few who had ammonia present without knowing why.

Do you by chance have a cat litter anywhere near your stored water?

Stella gave some great advice.

Test your waterchsnge water. I've encountered a few who had ammonia present without knowing why.

Do you by chance have a cat litter anywhere near your stored water?

Cat Litter is more than 20 feet away in a separate room.

Update...Ammonia tested 0 today.

Nitrates tested between 5 and 10. (No Nopox Dosing)

Skimmer is working properly.

Green Algae growing on Glass, need to scrape/clean.

Will be back later.

Update.

Cleaned/Scraped algae from glass.

5 Gallon Water change. Salinity Matched.

Waiting to test water for a few hours to be sure things have circulated.

Protein Skimmer is going crazy! Overflow! Glad I caught it! Crazy Bubbles!

Could be that I just fed the tank, plus the WC?

I fed Coral Frenzy, Cyclops, 2 cubes Spirulina Mysis/Brine shrimp.

Tank is looking clean. :)

Yes :(

After I did so, I saw the resulting, WOH! To much.

The 2 cubes of Mysis/Brine shrimp are to be sure that I had enough for the Duncans and the

Elegance.

I Feed Coral Frenzy 2 times a week, as well as the Cyclops.

The other days I feed Cobalt Aquatics Marine Omni Flake for the Fish.

Thats a lot of food at one time.

I've always fed lightly though. I feed pellets and flake alternating every other day. feed frozen 1x a week- 1 quater cube, and reef roids 1x a week.

You need to get on a feeding schedule or you'll never get your parameters stable. That's more than I feed at once and I have 15 fish, a boatload of corals and more than 2x the water volume. And I'm a heavy feeder.

Thats a lot of food at one time.

I've always fed lightly though. I feed pellets and flake alternating every other day. feed frozen 1x a week- 1 quater cube, and reef roids 1x a week.

Good info. TY Clown. I will cut my feeding down.

You need to get on a feeding schedule or you'll never get your parameters stable. That's more than I feed at once and I have 15 fish, a boatload of corals and more than 2x the water volume. And I'm a heavy feeder.

WOW...I definitely WAS over feeding!

Time to check my self on that!

TY Rachel :)

Archived