inTank Media Baskets

New tank;have some questions

Tokeisch

Hello all. Here are some pics of my new tank. About 12 days into the cycle and over the past couple days I've noticed some little clear "bugs" crawling around. Also, some yellowish stuff is layering the top of my tank. Is this normal? Check it out in the pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

sounds like youre right on track. the bugs are pods and will be nice sbacks for your fish when you get them. the yellowish stuff is a diatom bloom and a common part of the cycling process. :)

Thanks. I was worried because I took some live rocks from a friends tank to help with the cycle. As you can see in the pic it was covered in the green stuff. Was that a good move and is that stuff ok? ..also noticed you're from Jax, so am I. I'm stationed here and live near NAS Jax over by Orange Park.

I would take those rocks out while you still can and scrub them with a tooth brush in a bucket of salt water (freshwater might be fine, but I'm not sure). I was lookin on my phone but now that I'm on the desktop, I'm assuming you're talking about the bottom rocks? That looks like GHA (green hair algae) and thats a nuisance. It will still pop up now and then because of excess nutrients, but your shooting yourself in the foot if you start the tank with it in there. You can also dip it in hydrogen peroxide as well to kill it off. It will prolong your cycle, but trust me, its better to have that than a full blown take over of the stuff. Especially because a new tank is very susceptible to having to many nutrients which is the perfect fuel for gha. I would scrub and dip the rocks pronto. Thank you for drawing my attention back to that. I would have felt really bad not catching that. lol

I would definitely use the search function for GHA or green hair algae and see what other members have done. Better to start over where you're at than have a horrible first experience with a reef tank. GHA can definitely ruin that.

We just moved here from Denver. (like just hit the 1 month mark) There is a local reef club called Jax Reef & Marine club. You should join. In Denver, we made great connections through the local club and hope to do the same here. :) I'm originally from Florida, so its good to be back. But I don't know any LFSs or anything around here yet if thats what you're after lol. We're just beginning our exploration of the area. I'm from central Florida. I grew up coming to Jacksonville often enough, but not enough to be super familiar. I'm a huge fan of St. Augustine, so I usually just stopped there. :P We're planning on purchasing our next home in St. Augustine.

Also, you should go to the "members aquariums" forum and post a tank thread there (look at some others for information we're looking for in those threads). It's a great way to not only track your tank's progress as it matures, but also get feedback from other members and an easy way for us to see what equipment you're using. A lot of us (myself included) and other new members, look at the build threads to get ideas and see experiences with different set ups, equipment, livestock, husbandry techniques, etc. It essentially creates a cumulative community wealth of experience you and others can draw from for inspiration and ideas for our tanks.

Plus its just fun to follow tanks from the beginning and watch how they mature. You feel like a proud sibling or something watching other members tanks and being all like "I remember when..." lol

I would read up on treating rocks with hydrogen peroxide. There are tons of threads on here about cleaning rock.

Or start a thread on cleaning rocks. Those who have experience with it will chime in with their advice

Archived