Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The "my wife doesn't like fish tank furniture" build

Jrodinnola

Stand looks good, reminds me of what I did to a buffet cabinet a few years ago. Sanded it down then painted it with chalk paint and re-stained the top.

standup0603_zpsd2a5dba5.jpg

04775605-ACC3-4DA5-81AD-72B915D19614-106

• Like 5

Aww man, that looks pretty killer! That chalk paint looks great, and the placement of the buffet next to the brick wall really sets it off. Nice job on that! Is it still running?

Frag quarantine tank is almost cycled and the new light came in for it.. the new kessil a80 is sleek and solid! Can't wait to see how coral responds to it.

E3DB3E7F-EB54-4378-9E2B-4316C19F5F3F.jpg

D9BD946A-018A-49D2-B8A9-BBC9C376DC24.jpg

FB34EE9D-DDF9-4390-B66B-DD71D099E751.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a little progress on the tank last night.. Notice the purple primer EVERYWHERE.. man, that stuff sucks. Good thing it's all hidden behind the tank, lol. Atleast it's almost time for water.. just gotta find a little extra time to hook up all the pumps and re run all the electrical.

2EA8907D-5CF7-44C5-89F1-591EFFCD71F3.jpg

• Like 2

I use clear primer vs purple primer - makes less of a mess. Purple primer is primarily used so that building inspectors can verify that primer was used on all fittings.

There isn't much pressure on these pipes so you could most likely get away without using primer at all, but it helps me sleep at night.

Yea, I couldn't find any clear primer at the store, so I just got the purple. I used to never use primer, but I was reading a thread on my local forum last week and a guy on there had a pipe bust on him after 2 years of being in place and he had water all over the place, and he thinks it was because he didn't use primer.. so just to make myself feel better, I bought some. Lol

• Like 2

Aww man, that looks pretty killer! That chalk paint looks great, and the placement of the buffet next to the brick wall really sets it off. Nice job on that! Is it still running?

Thank you. Unfortunately we moved across the country 3 years ago, so the tank is no longer running. I did bring the buffet cabinet with me to California, but it has been sitting in the garage.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got water in the system and the cycle is underway! (Don't mind the baby gate, lol.)

BBFEE7CE-3C5C-440D-8ACF-E822C5BB9E9C.jpg

66F39865-CDAF-47E9-A2F7-D0AE73F94690.jpg

I have a few fish in quarantine that should be ready for this tank in the next few weeks.. just have a few more small projects to finish up and get the apex display fixed..not sure why it randomly stopped working.

• Like 4

Love the work you did! Looks great!

I thought i was the only one with a wife that HATES all fish furniture. We found this cabinet at a "shabby sheek" store in our area. Plenty of room for goodies after I did some drilling/re-arranging to the inside of it.

1NQcVFyh.jpg

v5GtVUxh.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Im getting a small step here and there done.. at least it's moving forward lol

Love the work you did! Looks great!

I thought i was the only one with a wife that HATES all fish furniture. We found this cabinet at a "shabby sheek" store in our area. Plenty of room for goodies after I did some drilling/re-arranging to the inside of it.

Thanks! It actually kind of worked out perfectly.. I kinda like the buffet more than a fish stand now lol

It stopped working because the display is a cheap POS. They fail so often.

Setup looks really clean. Nice work.

Thanks man! I guess I'm going to have to submit a ticket and see how much they're gonna charge me to fix it.. ?

So, I have a few tanks that I maintenance for friends, which helps pay for my own tank supplies and such.. here's an iPhone pic I took yesterday as I was doing a water change on my previous boss's 90g mixed reef..

9FAFD3CB-F5B6-44B1-B26D-4A981321A189.jpg

It's really starting to look good, which got me in the mood to push my own tank forward some more.. so I hung the light lol

581E955D-87E1-431D-91C6-06F54A69D15D.jpg

I've never had a T5 fixture before, I've always done Led... I was a little worried that I wouldn't like the "look" of the light, but I can now say I think it looks pretty awesome! ?

• Like 7

So, I have a few tanks that I maintenance for friends, which helps pay for my own tank supplies and such.. here's an iPhone pic I took yesterday as I was doing a water change on my previous boss's 90g mixed reef..9FAFD3CB-F5B6-44B1-B26D-4A981321A189.jpg

It's really starting to look good, which got me in the mood to push my own tank forward some more.. so I hung the light lol581E955D-87E1-431D-91C6-06F54A69D15D.jpg

I've never had a T5 fixture before, I've always done Led... I was a little worried that I wouldn't like the "look" of the light, but I can now say I think it looks pretty awesome!

I agree!
  • 1 month later...

Mini update- (really just me adding pics for future reference)

F22C7BC5-97BF-4CED-8100-D6C0E4460EBE.jpg

A769A462-388B-4724-8436-F3DF1E6F7F44.jpg

I think I have a feeding and wc schedule that seems to be working pretty well for the coral QT tank (got it from Natalia_la_loca's reef bowl, thanks Natalia!). The only coral that was a little upset and browned was the tort in the middle, but that was my fault- the light wasn't intense enough. From here on out, the pieces should atleast maintain their color while I QT them. :)

• 5 weeks later...

The frags in the 8 seem to be doing pretty well... just waiting for the local frag swap to happen then I'll continuously watch all the frags in the tank for 75 days for any coral parasites/diseases and to let any ich, that may have hitch hiked into the frag tank via encrustation on an lps skeleton, die off.

59410404-59AA-41DC-BC9E-DEAA4441208E.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!  I  made yet another compromise with my wife; she could have a softie tank if I could borrow it to QT corals for my tank. So the shrooms on the rock will stay there forever, but all the frags on the rack (plus any I pick up at fragniappe on Mar 4th hehe) will go into the 41. :) 

So I ordered the fans to vent the sump side of the cabinet.  Its a bit tighter for back there than I anticipated, and I'm unsure if I could put two in there... if I had to just use one fan, do y'all think it should blow air into the sump section, or suck humid air out?  There are vent slots in the back panel, so air can either come in or go out through those, depending on which way the fan moves the air. I just wanted to make sure the majority of the humidity would be removed so the stand won't get damaged over time, and also wanted to avoid dust getting sucked in and blown all around. 

Thoughts?

Christopher Marks

Hmm, I think I would vent air out of the cabinet. If it's blow too much air over the surface of the sump it might accelerate evaporation. You can use one for the fan and the other as an intake. They're not right beside each other though, right? One on each end or something?