Cultivated Reef

Clownfish tankmates

newbiereeferrob

newbiereeferrob

Hi guys, its been a while since i posted here because for the most part my tank has been doing well. I have a 29g biocube and right now it is stocked with a blood orange clownfish, a royal gramma, and a yellow prawn goby. The clown had been getting rough with the royal G and i dont want him to be killed. Luckily i have a friend with a who can take him in. Once I do this, im thinking about another possible tankmate for the blood orange clown. the goby is doing fine with him. The blood orange clown is a cross between an ocellaris and a maroon, so it has a propensity for aggression. Any suggestions? Would another clown be too big of a bioload?

another clown would be picked on even more so then the royal G IMO...clowns get territorial especially Maroons... Maybe a nice small wrasse ?

Agreed on a hawkfish, rock dweller that can hold themselves. Smaller hawkfish are especially good.

If you want shrimp I'd go for a dang blenny, active swimmers that can be kept with aggressive tankmates because they have venomous bites.

Royal grammas are badasses. I had one with a pair of clowns, and the female would run at him and he would stand his ground.

He was very peaceful and never instigated anything, but did not get bullied.

• 2 weeks later...

They are compatible. I've had them in past tanks with zero issue. Don't think it was a fluke.

Should I get gramma first, or the Ocellaris? Does it matter?

The clown and royal should be fine together, both aggressive fish.

Theres a compatability chart on liveaquaria.com

Neither are aggressive. The same site you reference lists them both as peaceful.

Clowns can be bullies, but they're still relatively passive.

Well Royal Gramma Dottybacks are aggressive fish the Royal Basslet isn't.

I think you're confused. Royal Gramma and bicolor dottyback are two different fish. This thread has been discussing royal gramma. They are typically not aggressive.

I think there are many factors to that - rockwork, tank location, other tankmates, stress, lighting, and the individual fish! Mine was relatively active, but if you search you can see posts on the forums discussing this topic. Seems to be a mixed basket, with most saying that hiding is common for the first week or so and then coming out. Having a dither fish (peaceful active fish) can inspire confidence too.

If you're buying in a store, look at the behavior of the fish. One that is out in the open, seems calm, active, is more likely to end up like that in your tank than one buried in the rock.

Archived