Cultivated Reef

QT

PaulMrks

I've never had a QT before. I guess I was always lucky. Til now. Had to learn the hard way. Now I'm on a 6-8 week fallow. So I'm gonna set up a QT tomorrow.

Gonna be using tap water. As I don't care if algaes and what not grows in there. Also it won't have a light. Not a good one anyway. Probably just a 6k clip on desk lamp. My water doesn't have high nitrates I checked it.

So. Do I cycle a QT or what? I wanted to seed the tank with the filter media but I'm afraid of contaminating it with brook.

I have bio spira. Pure ammonia. Going barebottom. No live rock. So filter media would be where he bacteria would stick. Like those little ceramic rings. Filter pads. A little I don't know what it's made out of cave. I think it's ceramic.

As said before I don't wish to medicate fish for no reason. I would just observe them a few weeks. and if I have to then I'd medicate and sacrifice the BB by using copper.

Once I'm done quarantining these fish. I'd have no more use for the QT. as I only plan on keeping a clown pair. A clown goby. And a fire fish or something. and put it away in case of need as a hospital/isolation tank. I don't want to QT coral I don't wanna have to buy another light. Actually I don't wanna buy any more equipment for a long time. Hopefully anyway.

fishfreak0114

Whenever I've set up my QT in the past, I've just set it up a day or two before getting a fish, and then done lots of water changes and dosed prime to keep the ammonia at bay. If you have time to cycle it, it would probably make your life easier. However, I would still be concerned about an ammonia spike when adding all those fish the QT, so having prime on hand would be helpful.

I wouldn't worry about using tap on the QT, I use tap in my QT and reef, no issues so far. Maybe I just have really good tap water though.

When I set up a QT its different than when I set up a hospital tank. For me when I QT I use live rock that I have and add a hob filter and call it done. I do not use live rock in a hospital tank that I will be using meds in as many meds mess with the biological filtration by either contaminating the rock or killing of the beneficial bacteria. That means that I do daily water changes on a hospital tank to keep ammonia down and usually I only have an open airline in a clean salt bucket powered by an diaphram air pump. With seahorses I don't even need a heater but most fish should have a heater.

Archived