Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Building my own tank

Toddy

I am going to build my own AIO 10 gallon. I had a guy CNC me a false wall with 3 chambers and I put it in a Aqueon 10 gallon. After staring at it for a while I don't like the plastic rim around the glass.

I am going to build a rimless tank that is the same dimensions so that I can use the false wall I had made. I used the GARF website to get a build sheet but it is recommending I use 1/4 inch glass for the tank. I know I don't need thicker glass but I think it will look better so I am going to use 3/8" starfire with polished edges. The glass is ordered and should be ready in about a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just derim the 10g?

Meh - probably wouldn't look as good and de-rimming a tank is pretty hard. The rim usually hides various manufacturing flaws like unevenness and little chips and stuff.

3/8" is definitely overkill - I'm assuming the inside dimensions are staying the same?

You're gluing it up yourself I take it? A nice thin bead of clear silicone would look awesome.

Sounds like a cool tank - make sure you post pics of the process.

Sure. I've heard it's a pain to clean up the silicone, and you have to sand down the edges because they typically aren't neat. Still seems much easier than trying to construct a new tank entirely. I wouldn't worry about structural longevity in a 10G with the top derimmed. Seems like it would be more solid than a DIY with zero rims.

Nanoreefwanabe

Sure. I've heard it's a pain to clean up the silicone, and you have to sand down the edges because they typically aren't neat. Still seems much easier than trying to construct a new tank entirely. I wouldn't worry about structural longevity in a 10G with the top derimmed. Seems like it would be more solid than a DIY with zero rims.

A factory built 10g tank made from what? 3mm glass? That rim is structural on a ten and the glass is not tempered nor is it designed to bee rim less....building a ten gallon tank is easy and even a poorly built diy 10 will be better then a derimmed factory built one

Archived