Coral Vue Hydros

Moving Checklist

Jcon_343

Hey Ya'll,

So I am moving and need to be out of my current apartment by December 1st. This is going to be my first time breaking the tank down and moving it to a different location and I just wanted to make sure that I am currently on the right track in doing so. I am only moving about 5 miles (in to a house!)

Current set-up

20L

25-30lbs live rock

20lbs sand

1 clown

1 skunk cleaner

1 decent sized Torch Coral

2 small colony's of zoa's

Branching Hammer

various clean-up crew: a few blue leg's 3 turbos, 4 nass, 2 astrea snails

2 power heads

2 heaters

Eshops PSK-75 HOB

AC70 with InTank basket

Now, what I was planning to do:

Have 20Gal fresh salt water mixed up

5Gal of RODI

Use my 5gal bucket and remove water 3.5gal(ish) put clown and inverts in here for travel. Once I arrive at the house, add heater and air-stone for water movement.

Go to walmart buy a rubber made 20-25gal bin add remaining water and add rock for travel *corals are attached to rock except for the hammer*

Once at house add heater and power head+ light.

Drain any excess water from tank and dump it out, once at house use this time to use Brandons method of rinsing sand. My question is, should I just go ahead and buy new sand since this bed is about 3-4 years old? I will also take this time to clean out the AC70 and a nice good cleaning on the skimmer as well.

Since we are moving into the house. The wife has already given the okay for a bigger tank! Whoot!

I am thinking of starting to get stuff together for a 40B, drilled and use my 20L as a sump. Thoughts?

Will also be able to pick up an RODI unit as well.

Any thoughts or input? Do I seem to be on the right path I'm kind of nervous, but know it's not that bad, I have seen people that have had to move cross country.

Oh can't forget my Betta in his 5.5 gal, was just gonna drain half - third of the water out, and put him in the car and go. lol

Thanks for stopping by all!

I think your plan sounds reasonable. New sand is up to you - either rinse the crap out of it or get new IMO it's about the same.

Take care transporting the euphyllia. Good luck!

Good luck! You can clean it or replace it, personally, I like to replace my sandbed when I move tanks. You will be shocked to see how much comes out of it.

Your plan sounds good to me!

I was thinking about about changing it, and rinsing the crap out of the new sand. Like I sad my rocks are very well established. I was thinking maybe some Fiji Pink?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

• 3 weeks later...

So glad nr.com isn't bacteria fearful

I guarantee this post in other sites will get all kinds of concern and I agree all

Fiji is nice it's what I use

Like how you are xporting rocks separate as much as possible too, they're likely just fine, but are the only source of possible ammonia (via detritus or worm loss) along with the bed which you've parted out and cleaned anyway. Good plan. The sensitives were isolated well for the move

My tank rework took two days

It took regular grocery store vinegar 48 hours to dissolve all the SPs that was stuck to the glass and sides

my corals set in bubbled cut in half milk jugs with the same heater the tank used... These are thermostat heaters it doesn't matter if small volume

I used new highly rinsed sand and set all the rocks and corals back in immediately with no skip cycle...the milk jugs were just a new Pico Reef variation but same volume as the old whole Reef. All that bacteria and waste from the old bed i lost simply didn't matter the Rocks were so powerful

When pico reefs pull this off it's more significant than larger tanks because we have no dilution to handle leaking ammonia

We know what large tanks will do every time including their extra volume for a worst-case scenario so we plan for that ammonia possibility in any move

Moving my 40b next week! Good luck Jcon. My LFS advised bagging as many corals as possible to cut down on sliming/ chemical warfare. I have lots of buckets and styrofoam coolers and a big power inverter for the car.

PS im rinsing my sand too.. at least some of it will be thoroughly cleaned and returned immediately, most might spend a while in a bucket until I have time to deal with it

Archived