Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

$500 set-up budget for 10 gallons

dwhite_2006

NR I've been on here forever and i love you, so give me some help,

I've given myself a $500 start-up budget. It's flexible, but I honestly think I can stick to it. My main concern at then moment is tank model.

I've searched for some good builds, but this sites' history is so long that it can be difficult to find what is the most up-to-date information. I need you hip mo-fuggas to tell me whats up. I don't like the fusion 10's dimensions because it's "high" and that's not economical PAR wise and restricts swimming space. I hate old-school ten's because of the trim. (DON'T TOUCH THE TRIM---squidbilly), I don't like all-in-ones because you pay more for the whole "all-in-one" pitch and then have to pay more to fix whats wrong with them. (Please tell me I'm wrong so I can go buy an all in one and not worry with all this Shiz)...So what's the best 10 gallon aquarium (long) available right now?

TL:DR; What 10 gallon is currently hip?

Love,

Dwhite/Captain

$100 for a rimless isn't bad, but that definitely restricts my lighting and LR/sand choices....but, dam* that's a nice piece. WHY DO YOU TEMPT ME SO?! I just moved back to the states from China where I was able to buy a rimless 15g + stand for about $75 so it's hard for me to cope with U.S. prices....fml.

Standard 10g- $10

Decent light (Used Nanobox, par38 W/ dimmin, etc)- 100-150

Modded aquaclear hob filter with media and such-80 or so

Some dry rock- $10

Test kits, addives, maintainence stuff, heater, other equipment- maybe $100 or so

Powerhead- around $30

The fluval Evo 13.5 seems like a nice choice, if not I would do one of the rimless mr. aqua, Aquamax, IM aquariums

If you want to increase your budget and tank size, the Red Sea Nano is a great choice

Marc.The.Shark

Buy a nice tank. It's easier to change other equipment down the line if you outgrow/don't like it. Much harder to change the tank when it's full of life. Sancho made some good suggestions

Thanks everyone,

I'm taking a look at all these. I Appreciate you pointing me in a direction.

0reef, I will never own a standard 10 ever again! I can't do it. :P

Marc, I transferred a 5 to a 10 a couple years ago, the emotional scars are just now starting to heal over. ;)

Marc.The.Shark

Thanks everyone,

I'm taking a look at all these. I Appreciate you pointing me in a direction.

0reef, I will never own a standard 10 ever again! I can't do it. :P

Marc, I transferred a 5 to a 10 a couple years ago, the emotional scars are just now starting to heal over. ;)

Lol. $100 for a nice tank seems reasonable. I paid $300 for my 20gal I just set up. Of course it was a custom build, but I plan on having it for a long time, haven't bought a new tank in 10yrs. But have definately changed all kinds of other stuff in that time, lighting, pumps, etc.

Cencalfishguy56

Funny. I like the look of the rimless aio's but I prefer my standard 15g to my 10gIM. Far less issues cleaning it, easier to maintain.

how is it to clean the chambers? Just picked one up off a local reefer for dirt cheap lol and it's in pristine condition

Lol. $100 for a nice tank seems reasonable. I paid $300 for my 20gal I just set up. Of course it was a custom build, but I plan on having it for a long time, haven't bought a new tank in 10yrs. But have definately changed all kinds of other stuff in that time, lighting, pumps, etc.

yea I paid $225 for my custom 20 long also haha but like you said it's something you are gonna have for a while so invest money into it the right way

Standard 20 gallon - 20 dollars

Modded AC Filter - 25 dollars

Heater - 30 dollars

Powerhead - 30 dollars

rock/sand - 60 dollars

Reef light (Chinese LED's or used light- 120- 300 dollars

test kits/additives/refractometer - 50 dollars

Total - 335

I think this is very doable!

Cencalfishguy56

Standard 20 gallon - 20 dollars

Modded AC Filter - 25 dollars

Heater - 30 dollars

Powerhead - 30 dollars

rock/sand - 60 dollars

Reef light (Chinese LED's or used light- 120- 300 dollars

test kits/additives/refractometer - 50 dollars

Total - 335

I think this is very doable!

salt rock and sand! Lol water

I hate cleaning the chambers to be honest. Royal PITA. I have small hands, theres no way to get in there. I use a bottle brush and hose. I also had a snail in there to help.

Other than that, i like the aio but the chambers.

What are you planning on putting in this thing anyways? Should help dictate what kind of equipment you need.

Does your $500 budget include everything except the inhabitants?

Looks like you've been around for a while so do you have equipment lying around you can use? Do you have a solid reefing community nearby? Figuring out how to tastefully use what you already have along with buying some stuff used can save a lot.

Ultimately though - I agree with some of the others to go for the tank you want. You may have to spend a bit more to get it but standard aquarium trim is OUT. I wish I could get a new fancy low iron rimless to replace my 40b - but not really in the budget now.

As far as all-in-one tanks go, I think that unless you're planning a sump it's the clear choice. If for the simple fact that you can hide your equipment it's worth the higher price and slight inconvenience of cleaning the back chambers. AIO designs have come a long way too. No longer will people buy a bio-cube with the expectation that they will be immediately upgrading the pumps and lights! AIO tanks have been refined such that they're not as gimmicky anymore. You can get them with or without lights (to save you the hassle of buying them twice) and with circulation pump technology where it is people don't bother with swapping out pumps & stuff. You also get a nice selection of equipment to choose from. Companies now make skimmers and reactors that are designed to fit in the rear chambers of AIO setups. Also you can get media racks which are cheaper than reactors and easy to use. Oh - did I mention most of them now come with low iron glass and black silicone?

Soooooo--- it sounds like you're looking for some pros on buying an AIO. If you're seriously considering an AIO I say just get a Nuvo 10 and be done with it... Unless you're absolutely set on the "long" style tank the nuvo10 is only 13" deep - not really enough depth difference between that and any other nano tank you would get to cause any inefficiencies for modern LED lighting.

If you are set on the long style tank there isn't really an AIO that's made for it, but Oceanbox has a pretty sweet conversion kit for the Mr. Aqua 12L tanks here: https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/reef-conversion/

Archived