Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help a new member start a tank!

Chris1810

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to start a reef tank for a while, but I've been hesitant. I currently have a 5g freshwater tank that I've had for about 6 months now, but would love to upgrade to a saltwater tank if possible! I was thinking about starting with an evo tank or a biocube. If I buy one of these tanks would I need to get any other supplies, like a protein skimmer? Not sure what that does exactly so any info about that would be nice. Also I believe I need to get some flow pump to circulate the water? what are these needed? before I decide on that I have a question or two before i commit to this.

My main concern deals with transporting the tank. I am away from my hometown for school, but I go back home for breaks/vacation. I am about 3.5-4.5 hours away from home and I was wondering would this be a stressful move for my future fish/tank? If its possible what would be the best way to do it?

I also have questions about stocking options. I was thinking about putting some soft corals in there, but not sure how much and what species? Same goes with fish. I like clown fish and the I like the idea of the goby shrimp pair, but I would like to hear about other fish I can keep in here. I would like to have some inverts too so I need to account for them as well.

I'm still researching, I've been browsing this forum all morning trying to familiarize myself with the terms and lingo of reefing. I appreciate any comments along with any other information I should know about! Thanks!

I have a biocube 29. My build thread link is below. I don't use a protein skimmer for a tank this size as I haven't found it to be necessary. You will need to buy some supplies-heater, thermometer, powerhead(s), etc. You can see my supplies in my build thread and many others'. The biocube 29 has a pump but I didn't like it so I changed it out for a rio 6 hf. I have two powerheads as well-koralia nano 425s.

You can move a tank--people with more experience doing this would be better able to answer this question.

Corals depend on the type of lighting you have. With stock biocube lighting, soft corals/some lps are fine. Clownfish are very easy for beginners, I believe. Inverts are quite a necessity as well. Keep in mind the smaller the tank, the smaller bioload it can handle. Also, you will need to add things gradually.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby. I bet a more seasoned reefer will come along to reply soon. Research is your best friend. If you can't find your answer after looking a long time, then ask questions. :) And welcome to N-R, the folks here are generally super sweet and amazingly helpful.

RIP Sebastian

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to start a reef tank for a while, but I've been hesitant. I currently have a 5g freshwater tank that I've had for about 6 months now, but would love to upgrade to a saltwater tank if possible! I was thinking about starting with an evo tank or a biocube. If I buy one of these tanks would I need to get any other supplies, like a protein skimmer? Not sure what that does exactly so any info about that would be nice. Also I believe I need to get some flow pump to circulate the water? what are these needed? before I decide on that I have a question or two before i commit to this.

My main concern deals with transporting the tank. I am away from my hometown for school, but I go back home for breaks/vacation. I am about 3.5-4.5 hours away from home and I was wondering would this be a stressful move for my future fish/tank? If its possible what would be the best way to do it?

I also have questions about stocking options. I was thinking about putting some soft corals in there, but not sure how much and what species? Same goes with fish. I like clown fish and the I like the idea of the goby shrimp pair, but I would like to hear about other fish I can keep in here. I would like to have some inverts too so I need to account for them as well.

I'm still researching, I've been browsing this forum all morning trying to familiarize myself with the terms and lingo of reefing. I appreciate any comments along with any other information I should know about! Thanks!

:welcome:

Looks like you need to do some research. I could go into a he long-ass post about the basics, but it's your responsibility as a tank owner. How is your FW tank doing? If it isn't doing well don't make the switch. I recommend waiting a year before even trying SW. With the holidays coming up, I am sure you would be inclined to ask your family for one. To me, though, the time between now and them is not sufficient enough to really understand the fundamentals of reef-keeping.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

1. Do I have a deep understanding of the science of aquariums?

2. Am I prepared to be patient while my tank is cycling and after adding livestock?

3. Will I be able to balance the time I need to spend on my tank with the time I need to spend on my studies?

4. Do I understand I won't be able to keep much in a tank that small?

5. DO I have the funds to set up AND maintain a reef tank?

Be sure to check the Beginner's Forum!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

Nick

P.S. I'm not trying to be critical, just realistic.

:welcome:

Looks like you need to do some research. I could go into a he long-ass post about the basics, but it's your responsibility as a tank owner. How is your FW tank doing? If it isn't doing well don't make the switch. I recommend waiting a year before even trying SW. With the holidays coming up, I am sure you would be inclined to ask your family for one. To me, though, the time between now and them is not sufficient enough to really understand the fundamentals of reef-keeping.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

1. Do I have a deep understanding of the science of aquariums?

2. Am I prepared to be patient while my tank is cycling and after adding livestock?

3. Will I be able to balance the time I need to spend on my tank with the time I need to spend on my studies?

4. Do I understand I won't be able to keep much in a tank that small?

5. DO I have the funds to set up AND maintain a reef tank?

Be sure to check the Beginner's Forum!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

Nick

P.S. I'm not trying to be critical, just realistic.

Nick,

My FW is doing well I just have a betta fish in there, but he's been doing just fine! To answer your questions...

1. Somewhat, this is why I am still researching because the last thing I want to do is carelessly have my tank crash just because I want to make it to work.

2. Yes I fine with cycling my tank, if Im going to do a SW I want to be as careful as I can

3. Yes I understand that SW needs WAY more attention than my FW and I am ok with that because I want my tank to thrive

4. Yes I understand I cannot have many fish in here, but i'm ok with that I just want to get into reefkeeping because I would like to have a better established tank once I get my own place.

5. I understand that this isnt cheap by all means but like you said the holidays are coming up and I plan on saving money as well so until I'm ready to buy anything ill be researching!

No offense taken, those are legitimate questions! I just ask because I want to do this the correct way!

Research for months. Plan your entire tank out before you start. Know what fish you want, what coral you want, what lighting they would need, what your tank can actually handle, etc.

I bought my tank, equipment, salt, etc and had it sitting around my house dry for a few weeks because even though I had the money to buy it, I didn't feel like I had finished researching enough to start cycling.

Every time a new idea pops into my head I thoroughly research it to see it it's a good fit for my tank (especially if it wasn't in my original plan) long before I even consider buying it. Most of the time I end up deciding it wouldn't be a good fit for my tank. This is why it's so important to plan your whole tank out before you begin.

Cycling, no matter how long it takes, feels like forever to me. I just really watched my ammonia/nitrites/nitrate levels and didn't wait until it was "almost done". I waited until it was completely done for a couple days. I tested every day or every other day so I could really get a sense of the chemistry happening in my tank. Make sure you understand the cycle before you start cycling. Then you won't have to ask silly noob questions like "Is my tank cycled?". You'll know as long as your understand the cycle. (I was a noob, once...)

In a tank this small (like mine), I would say you could easily have 2-4 small fish. Anything more may be pushing it, but it REALLY depends on what kind of filtration you have going on. For example, it you go easy on live rock, you have less filtration, with less room for bacteria to grow, and therefore your tank will only be able to handle a smaller bioload.

It's way more expensive thank you think it is. Especially starting from scratch. Like, to get my tank cycling was well over $1k, maybe even a couple grand. I was very picky about equipment because a lot of people advised me not to be cheap in the beginning as I would only regret it later.

And to conclude this post, research. When you think you're ready to start your tank, but you want a second opinion on your equipment setup or fish plan or whatever, post it and see what others think. :)

fishfreak0114

:welcome: to NR

You've already been given some great advice :) so I'll just stress three things.

First, patience. Nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. It's a slow process, setting up and stocking and watching the tank mature, but it's so rewarding to do it right and watch your tank mature into a beautiful reef knowing that it's your creation. The time spent waiting for the tank to cycle is a great time for point number 2"

RESEARCH! I spent a good 6-7 months reading pretty much non stop before I asked for my tank at Christmas. Just over a year and a half into this hobby and I'm still constantly reading and learning more. But it's pretty fun learning about all the science behind the reef tank (well at least I think so, must be the nerd in me!)

And point number 3...expect to spend a hella lot more than you thought you would :lol: I probably have put around $2000 in equipment into the tank, $1000 in livestock and roughly $250 annually on salt, media, etc. that doesn't include any unexpected costs. But if the hobby really holds an interest to you, it's more than worth the money! I'd spend twice as much if that's what it took to keep my tank running.

Enjoy learning about the hobby, and don't be afraid to ask questions! The people on here know there stuff :)

Research for months. Plan your entire tank out before you start. Know what fish you want, what coral you want, what lighting they would need, what your tank can actually handle, etc.

I bought my tank, equipment, salt, etc and had it sitting around my house dry for a few weeks because even though I had the money to buy it, I didn't feel like I had finished researching enough to start cycling.

Every time a new idea pops into my head I thoroughly research it to see it it's a good fit for my tank (especially if it wasn't in my original plan) long before I even consider buying it. Most of the time I end up deciding it wouldn't be a good fit for my tank. This is why it's so important to plan your whole tank out before you begin.

Cycling, no matter how long it takes, feels like forever to me. I just really watched my ammonia/nitrites/nitrate levels and didn't wait until it was "almost done". I waited until it was completely done for a couple days. I tested every day or every other day so I could really get a sense of the chemistry happening in my tank. Make sure you understand the cycle before you start cycling. Then you won't have to ask silly noob questions like "Is my tank cycled?". You'll know as long as your understand the cycle. (I was a noob, once...)

In a tank this small (like mine), I would say you could easily have 2-4 small fish. Anything more may be pushing it, but it REALLY depends on what kind of filtration you have going on. For example, it you go easy on live rock, you have less filtration, with less room for bacteria to grow, and therefore your tank will only be able to handle a smaller bioload.

It's way more expensive thank you think it is. Especially starting from scratch. Like, to get my tank cycling was well over $1k, maybe even a couple grand. I was very picky about equipment because a lot of people advised me not to be cheap in the beginning as I would only regret it later.

And to conclude this post, research. When you think you're ready to start your tank, but you want a second opinion on your equipment setup or fish plan or whatever, post it and see what others think. :)

Thanks for all your input! yes I'll continue to research everything before buying anything! I'll research cycling a little bit more but yes I understand all SW have strict parameters that must be followed! Thanks for the stocking options! that is fine with me, I'm happy I'll have the chance to have more fish vs my FW!

burtbollinger

right off the bat, you can't be getting too crazy with this if you think you're having to move a tank or you have visions of it running on auto-pilot for weeks while youre away. Moving a tank and inhabitants...giant PITA. These tanks are really not meant to be moved around like you might a goldfish bowl. Maybe others can chime in on that. My vote is keep researching this, keep your freshwater tank, and once you are in a more permanent place, then dive in, having the money and knowledge you need. Patience is key...maybe practice that by NOT diving in before you are in a good place.

as for general advice....

wildly random tidbits I wish people would have taught me...all just my opinion. the above comments are solid...above all, research until you can confirm or call BS on the below. asking about protein skimmers, etc, means you're still at way too basic a level. You should probably watch all of these THEN dive in: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/video-category/52-weeks-of-reefing

- MONEY. this is not a cheap hobby...dead minimum for a 20g. IMO is $800-1000.
- DO not start with less than a 20g.
- learn about the importance of alkalinity and calcium...especially alkalinity. visit bulkreefsupply and look into their two-part starter kit.
- avoid buying the cheaper version of something essential. Bulkreefsupply.com is a great guide, if they sell/recommend it, its GTG...if not, I'd really research.
- when you have a question on a topic, visit this site, and spend at least a solid hour researching...avoid searching for what you WANT to hear.
- at some point, once you've really researched, you'll discover this hobby isnt as hard as it originally appeared to be.
- buy a good salt mix and an ro/di unit, and begin making your own water
- go slow, and keep your hands out the the tank if possible
- avoid non-photosynthetic corals IMO
- avoid clams unless you have proper lighting, and an established tank.
- avoid gorgs, sea fans...and mandarins...
- even at 5-6 months, your tank is in its infancy...treat it carefully and be prepared for ugly algae blooms
- consider running a media reactor with carbon and GFO
- if you dont test it, do not dose it...iodine, strontium....all that crap is a waste.
- ignore Ph....focus only on keeping a stable alk. Ph will take care of itself...
- dont buy things to make wife/kids happy....youre the expert, not them.
- magnesium helps keep alk. stable.
- Aim for a salinity @ 1.025
- damsels are mean....6-line wrasses can be mean, maroon clowns are mean
- peppermint shrimp may or may not be reef safe
- sally lightfoot crabs are not reef safe
- you need some sand stirring snails
- www.bulkreefsupply.com, notice I've mentioned several time...I've been doing this hobby for 15 years...if pressed, this website and BRS are the most awesome things out there for hobbyists for information and not getting ripped-off.
- don't take the LFS employee's word for anything
- don't frequent LFS who have employees who are rude or elitist.
- dip all corals, quarantine would be ideal
- probably start with dry rock, better to not intro pests into the tank via crappy LFS live rock.
- do not introduce corals into your tank that you dont want spreading everywhere. I ruined a tank putting in small clump of ugly green palys that spread everywhere.
- the vitamin C method really does work on bryopsis. hope that you never get this sort of algae though.
- once everything is going good, and you're happy with the tank...STOP. Don't add any more corals. Fight that 'just one more' urge. Tanks die when you add that one last coral that ends up having a nasty pest onboard, etc.

:welcome: to NR

You've already been given some great advice :) so I'll just stress three things.

First, patience. Nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. It's a slow process, setting up and stocking and watching the tank mature, but it's so rewarding to do it right and watch your tank mature into a beautiful reef knowing that it's your creation. The time spent waiting for the tank to cycle is a great time for point number 2"

RESEARCH! I spent a good 6-7 months reading pretty much non stop before I asked for my tank at Christmas. Just over a year and a half into this hobby and I'm still constantly reading and learning more. But it's pretty fun learning about all the science behind the reef tank (well at least I think so, must be the nerd in me!)

And point number 3...expect to spend a hella lot more than you thought you would :lol: I probably have put around $2000 in equipment into the tank, $1000 in livestock and roughly $250 annually on salt, media, etc. that doesn't include any unexpected costs. But if the hobby really holds an interest to you, it's more than worth the money! I'd spend twice as much if that's what it took to keep my tank running.

Enjoy learning about the hobby, and don't be afraid to ask questions! The people on here know there stuff :)

Thanks for your response and for the welcome! I thought about doing a SW before but brushed the idea off, but I keep thinking how rewarding it will be to have a successful tank. All your points are very good ones and yes I'll do more research before I make a big purchase. :)

wildly random tidbits I wish people would have taught me...all just my opinion. the above comments are solid...above all, research until you can confirm or call BS on the below.

- MONEY. this is not a cheap hobby...dead minimum for a 20g. IMO is $800-1000. DO not start with less than a 20g.
- learn about the importance of alkalinity and calcium...especially alkalinity. visit bulkreefsupply and look into their two-part starter kit.
- when you have a question on a topic, visit this site, and spend at least a solid hour researching...avoid searching for what you WANT to hear.
- buy a good salt mix and an ro/di unit, and begin making your own water
- go slow, and keep your hands out the the tank if possible
- avoid non-photosynthetic corals IMO
- avoid clams unless you have proper lighting, and an established tank.
- avoid gorgs, sea fans...and mandarins...
- even at 5-6 months, your tank is in its infancy...treat it carefully and be prepared for ugly algae blooms
- consider running a media reactor with carbon and GFO
- if you dont test it, do not dose it...iodine, strontium....all that crap is a waste.
- ignore Ph....focus only on keeping a stable alk. Ph will take care of itself...
- dont buy things to make wife/kids happy....youre the expert, not them.
- magnesium helps keep alk. stable.
- Aim for a salinity @ 1.025
- damsels are mean....6-line wrasses can be mean, maroon clowns are mean
- peppermint shrimp may or may not be reef safe
- sally lightfoot crabs are not reef safe
- you need some sand stirring snails
- don't take the LFS employee's word for anything

Wow thanks for all the info! I definitely need to do more research about alk, calcium etc. Ill check out your link to bulkreef as well! I'll for sure make a check list of ALL the supplies I would need so I can get a ballpark estimate of the cost.

Hi Chris! :welcome:to NR.

It's good to ask questions. I can't and wont add to what the others have said.

Marine Aquariums are so different from Fresh. A Swing in any direction in the chemistry of the tank

and u could lose all ur Livestock. (Corals, Inverts, Fish)

U mentioned that u are away at school, Good for you!!!

As mentioned and as I see, you are trying to research this idea. Awesome.

Here is a link to our "Glossary" of Terms.

http://www.nano-reef.com/glossary

This should help with some lingo on the forums.

I am running a JBJ Nano Cube (28 Gallon) All In One (AIO)

You do not really need a protein skimmer, it helps, but on the forums here, a thread was made in General discussion

about Keeping things Simple, Stupid. (K.I.S.S.)

As mentioned about costs, I decided to upgrade my lighting on my Bio-cube, $160.00

I just added a Hang on Back Protein Skimmer.... AquaMaxx HOB-1 ($230.00) I paid 175 for it, on sale.

Hang in there. This place, NanoReef is a great source of info and the people are awesome.

Remember, the only "Dumb" or "Stupid" question, is the 1 not asked.

Cheers B)

Hi Chris! :welcome:to NR.

It's good to ask questions. I can't and wont add to what the others have said.

Marine Aquariums are so different from Fresh. A Swing in any direction in the chemistry of the tank

and u could lose all ur Livestock. (Corals, Inverts, Fish)

U mentioned that u are away at school, Good for you!!!

As mentioned and as I see, you are trying to research this idea. Awesome.

Here is a link to our "Glossary" of Terms.

http://www.nano-reef.com/glossary

This should help with some lingo on the forums.

I am running a JBJ Nano Cube (28 Gallon) All In One (AIO)

You do not really need a protein skimmer, it helps, but on the forums here, a thread was made in General discussion

about Keeping things Simple, Stupid. (K.I.S.S.)

As mentioned about costs, I decided to upgrade my lighting on my Bio-cube, $160.00

I just added a Hang on Back Protein Skimmer.... AquaMaxx HOB-1 ($230.00) I paid 175 for it, on sale.

Hang in there. This place, NanoReef is a great source of info and the people are awesome.

Remember, the only "Dumb" or "Stupid" question, is the 1 not asked.

Cheers B)

Thanks for your comment and the welcome! Yea my main question about the AIO tanks was if I needed to add any extra equipment besides what already comes installed, just making sure it could get the job done! What do you think of the drive home? think the fish could handle it? :lol:

RIP Sebastian

Thanks for your comment and the welcome! Yea my main question about the AIO tanks was if I needed to add any extra equipment besides what already comes installed, just making sure it could get the job done! What do you think of the drive home? think the fish could handle it? :lol:

With an AIO like an IM 10, you'll need a light, media basket or reactor, ATO, powered, upgraded return pump, heater, thermometer and all of the livestock. I believe BRS has an IM 10 starter kit.

Nick

Transportation could be a real issue. I would advise against it.

As RIP Sebastian mentioned, an ATO (Automatic Top Off) U use RO/DI Fresh Water, but in my opinion, u do not "Need"

an ATO. I top off my tank daily. U need to use FW for top off because as the water in the aquarium evaporates, u will

get "Salt Creep". Before u know it, ur Salinity can go from 1.025 to 1.028 and higher. This can and will cause issues.

U could certainly add an ATO, they are or seems to be, fairly simple. Just need a Holding reservoir of RO/DI FW.

We use RO/DI to avoid TDS which can cause and bring about the dreaded ALGAE!

For places to look for information, Advanced Aquarist and Reefkeeping websites are good for info. ReefBuilders has good reviews. I bought my live rock from Premium Aquatics. I've always had good luck with them and they are always willing to answer questions.

Out of curiosity, what is your budget? Maybe we can put together an equipment list that can fit it?

initially thought I could make it work somewhere around $500-700 (very rough estimate) that would include the one either the evo or biocube along with live rock, sand, fish, and extra supplies (thermometer, heater etc), but I'll have to re work my calculations since I've made this post. I'm glad I made an account I've learned quite a bit already!

Glad to hear that. It's good to ask questions.

There is a Search feature that u can use as well.

This is a long slow and steady hobby that can also be quite expensive.

But, just learn the basics 1st and keep it simple. Don't over complicate

more than u have to.

I Don't know if this was mentioned before, but U are going to need test kits.

At the very least to measure ur cycle. U will get there some time.

But that will come after u have a tank.

As others have stated, a reef is a responsibility with serious dedication. I will not try to deter you from the hobby, it can be quite enjoyable but it also can be very frustrating and time consuming.

You can certainly do a smaller tank and not buy all the bells and whistles but it does do a major dent in the wallet regardless. Not only start up but the constant things one must purchase to keep it thriving.

The big issue is being in school and travel. The tank can't be left for weeks while you're away and transfering any tank is quite the job. I moved a 55g cichlid tank and it was a royal pain, a SW tank needs even more care when being moved... i hope to not need to move. Lol.

The tank will take up time to maintain, that being said its not impossible. So here is a list of things you need and should consider before getting into things while in school.

You have to use ro/di or distilled water, so you will need to pick it up weekly for top ups and water changes. You will need to top up every day and check salinity with a refractometer to ensure its correct.

Waterchanges must be done weekly. A bucket to mix water(additional heater and powerhead needed for mixing and salt)a gravel vaccum, turkey baster, mag floats will be needed to clean the tank. And another bucket for syphoning water into.

Filter media-you will need filter floss which needs changing 2-3 times a week. A good carbon which needs rinsing weekly and replacing monthly. Possibly other media to reduce nutrients if they get high.

Heater for the tank. A powerhead for water movement, this creates flow in the tank and aids in gas exchange.

Liverock- this is needed for biological filteration.

Sand - aragonite or livesand

Test kits- you need to test the tank every day to every other day during cycling. Then weekly once things get going.

Inverts- snails, hermit crabs etc to keep things tidy in the tank.

Dosers- if you have corals, theres a chance you may need to dose products to maintain parameters.

So everyday, you are working on the tank with top ups, checkibg salinity, possibly testing, cleaning it etc.

There are times when things go off and more time is spent on the tank.

After doing your research and you make a decision, you may want to go with something smaller that may be easier to move.

The IM 10g is a nice all in one. The only down side is you can't house as much in it. I have one fish in mine with corals and cuc.

Do a lot of research, plan ahead for what you want, its a lot easier planning once than changing it later.

Research cycling, water chemistry, maintenance.

Here is a link for cycling tanks

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/cycling-a-saltwater-aquarium/

burtbollinger

I was about to do a 10g IM Nuvo....bailed at the last min., canceled the order. the more i read about 10g, the more I realize what I really want is a 20g. IMO, the perfect size is 30g.

I can 100% say from experience moving tanks of any kind is a pain, and moving saltwater fish even more so, it can be done, and I do it on average once every 12-18 months, but its stressful, time consuming, and just not fun. So really think hard about getting a tank if your thinking you will need to move in the short term, its not an easy task even for a small tank.

Also keep in mind a tank could break in a move, so be prepared for that possibility as well, in my last move my freshwater tank cracked, so they had to live in buckets for a week while a new tank was ordered.

As others have stated, a reef is a responsibility with serious dedication. I will not try to deter you from the hobby, it can be quite enjoyable but it also can be very frustrating and time consuming.

You can certainly do a smaller tank and not buy all the bells and whistles but it does do a major dent in the wallet regardless. Not only start up but the constant things one must purchase to keep it thriving.

The big issue is being in school and travel. The tank can't be left for weeks while you're away and transfering any tank is quite the job. I moved a 55g cichlid tank and it was a royal pain, a SW tank needs even more care when being moved... i hope to not need to move. Lol.

The tank will take up time to maintain, that being said its not impossible. So here is a list of things you need and should consider before getting into things while in school.

You have to use ro/di or distilled water, so you will need to pick it up weekly for top ups and water changes. You will need to top up every day and check salinity with a refractometer to ensure its correct.

Waterchanges must be done weekly. A bucket to mix water(additional heater and powerhead needed for mixing and salt)a gravel vaccum, turkey baster, mag floats will be needed to clean the tank. And another bucket for syphoning water into.

Filter media-you will need filter floss which needs changing 2-3 times a week. A good carbon which needs rinsing weekly and replacing monthly. Possibly other media to reduce nutrients if they get high.

Heater for the tank. A powerhead for water movement, this creates flow in the tank and aids in gas exchange.

Liverock- this is needed for biological filteration.

Sand - aragonite or livesand

Test kits- you need to test the tank every day to every other day during cycling. Then weekly once things get going.

Inverts- snails, hermit crabs etc to keep things tidy in the tank.

Dosers- if you have corals, theres a chance you may need to dose products to maintain parameters.

So everyday, you are working on the tank with top ups, checkibg salinity, possibly testing, cleaning it etc.

There are times when things go off and more time is spent on the tank.

After doing your research and you make a decision, you may want to go with something smaller that may be easier to move.

The IM 10g is a nice all in one. The only down side is you can't house as much in it. I have one fish in mine with corals and cuc.

Do a lot of research, plan ahead for what you want, its a lot easier planning once than changing it later.

Research cycling, water chemistry, maintenance.

Here is a link for cycling tanks

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/cycling-a-saltwater-aquarium/

Yea from what I've read I will probably delay the tank for a bit since moving will be an issue. During that time I'll do more research. Thanks for all the info and the link I'll for sure check that out. So corals will also be considered as far as bioload is concerned?

EDIT: I plan on cycling with live rock/sand since I've seen that most of the time

I can 100% say from experience moving tanks of any kind is a pain, and moving saltwater fish even more so, it can be done, and I do it on average once every 12-18 months, but its stressful, time consuming, and just not fun. So really think hard about getting a tank if your thinking you will need to move in the short term, its not an easy task even for a small tank.

Also keep in mind a tank could break in a move, so be prepared for that possibility as well, in my last move my freshwater tank cracked, so they had to live in buckets for a week while a new tank was ordered.

Yea this was my main concerns from the start. I've moved my 5g FW a few times within the year and each move was fine, my betta handled it well. I am always cautious while moving my tank so I would make sure not to break the tank!

Archived