1. 1. How often do you feed your fish?

• Multiple times per day
    • Once daily
    • Every other day
    • Two times per week
    • Once a week
    • Fish are pests so I never feed them

flatlandreefer

I am having a little issue with hair algae so I thought I would see how often everybody thinks their fish need fed. I have a pair of clowns and a YWG as well as a cleaner shrimp. Seems to me when I feed mysis it makes a mess out of things.

How large is your aquarium, what type of nutrient export do you have? I feed my nano and obscene amount daily but i have a fairly robust nutrient export system, and have no visible algae.

flatlandreefer

How large is your aquarium, what type of nutrient export do you have? I feed my nano and obscene amount daily but i have a fairly robust nutrient export system, and have no visible algae.

I think it's just going through a new tank phase as well as adjusting to increased bio load after adding clowns, I need to test nitrates again but phosphates are .02 which isnt too bad. Weekly 20% water changes with filter floss as the primary method of catching solids. Just curious to see how many people don't feed daily.

Sometimes I feed daily, and sometimes I feed every other day. I don't have any algae issues. I only have 1 clown currently in a Biocube 29.

I feed once daily. My algae issues primarily stick around my powerhead. So I remove that and swap it out once a month or so. I'll soak it in fresh water, peroxide and then use it in my mixing bucket until I need to switch it out

I had one fuzzy tufft growing on a rock for months, then one day it vanished.

I feed a small pinch of pellets 2-3 times a day. Only enough for the fish to consume in a few minutes. When I feed frozen, I only feed a half a cube. I let it thaw in a cup and then rinse with ro/di before feeding. When I feed, I turn the returns off for 10 minutes, and leave the mp10 on feed mode. After 10 minutes is up, I turn the return back on and hit the feed button on the skimmer.

I do weekly 5 gal wc with and occasional extra 5 gal wc mid week. Change sock once a week and floss in overflow 2-3× a week. I get small bits of algae from time to time, I just suck as much out when doing a wc and everything seems to stay in check. I am also running bare bottom. Helps when sacking up all the waste weekly.

What kind of mysis are you feeding. That pe blend needs to be rinsed well before use imo. I'd try feeding half as much, thaw and rinse before use. Maybe up your flow, reduce lighting and blow your rocks off weekly with a baster.

Keep in mind the responses you get in the poll are going to vary based on the type of fish people have as well.

For example, my tailspot blenny, yellow assessor, and pink-streaked wrasse would probably be fine if I fed once a day. But my fang blenny is a very active fish, always out in the water column and moving around the tank. Once a day might not be enough for him - unless I totally gorge him in one feeding which could be just as unhealthy.

So, I prefer to feed lightly twice per day (8am and 6:30pm) rather than heavily once per day. Keeps him energized without over feeding the tank.

By 'lightly' I mean a piece of LRS Reef Frenzy that is about the size of a Tic-Tac. And every other day or so I'll substitute a pinch of pellets or flakes for one of the LRS feedings just to vary their diet.

I am very heavy handed when I feed. I feed nls thera a soaked in selcon once a day in the am (about 12 pellets) then before lights out I feed a mixture of lrs reef frenzy nano (about a 1/2"), frozen cyclops (about a 1/2) and a quarter cube of frozen rotifers soaked in selcon broadcast fed. The mixture will marinade for 2 hours with the mp10s on, and then the return kicks back on.

I don't have any algae aside from film on the glass that needs to be scraped every 2-3 days. I stopped testing nitrates and phosphate when I started seeing sps growth and decent color.

Archived