Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbie's New Fusion 40 Build :)

Canadianeh

Is your live sand kept at 78 degrees? I don't have the empirical data to comment on its effectiveness, but I'm not sold live sand does a whole lot. It's possible it does, but I doubt being subjected to cooler saltwater would cause a problem.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your live sand kept at 78 degrees? I don't have the empirical data to comment on its effectiveness, but I'm not sold live sand does a whole lot. It's possible it does, but I doubt being subjected to cooler saltwater would cause a problem.

I don't think so. It is in the sand plastic bag just what you normally get from stores

I don't think so. It is in the sand plastic bag just what you normally get from stores

right. That's why heating up later would be fine.

Honestly though, put the heater in as your rodi fills (once you have enough to sumberge). The time it takes for the salt to mix should be enough to get it up to temp anyway.

right. That's why heating up later would be fine.

Honestly though, put the heater in as your rodi fills (once you have enough to sumberge). The time it takes for the salt to mix should be enough to get it up to temp anyway.

I can only pour in 5 gallon per day into my 40 gallon tank. After stones and sand will be less than 40 gallon. I have to mix and leave it overnight for each 5 gallon bucket. So the heater will go in after the tank is filled up

Guess I'm confused as to why you can only do 5g a day.

Because I don't have brute bucket or large bucket and I only have one power head to mix. So I need to use my 5 gallon bucket.

I want to put the sand, the rock, and then saltwater last.

But if you have an rodi you can dump it and start another 5g.

Regardless, buckets are like $5 with lid so why you would spend hundreds on a setup and then delay it 8 days to and casually fill it because of $5 is beyond me.

Not trying to be harsh, just confused.

But if you have an rodi you can dump it and start another 5g.

Regardless, buckets are like $5 with lid so why you would spend hundreds on a setup and then delay it 8 days to and casually fill it because of $5 is beyond me.

Not trying to be harsh, just confused.

I think I didn't make myself clear enough.

I only have one powerhead to mix. From what I understand it is best to leave it mix overnight with a powerhead before you pour it into tank. This leave me no choice other than to do it one at a time per day.

So it is not the bucket that I can't afford. Even if I buy 8 buckets, I only have one powerhead to mix.

Also instead of getting 8 buckets for $40, you can get one brute bin. I don't have place for brute bin and I don't want to end up with 8 buckets who I will never use again.

I hope I didn't confuse you with this.

Ah that makes sense. I picked up some cheap Sunsun powerheads. 2 for 12 or something off amazon. I'd say you can mix for half an hour or so. No need to do overnight on an initial fill

There is a problem.

Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer does not fit in any other chambers other than the ones where the in tank media basket goes in. Some reefer online put the 9004 in one of these media chamber and just use one intank media basket.

If I follow this, will there be a problem?

There is a problem.

Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer does not fit in any other chambers other than the ones where the in tank media basket goes in. Some reefer online put the 9004 in one of these media chamber and just use one intank media basket.

If I follow this, will there be a problem?

It shouldn't be a problem, because you'll just use the other chamber for your media. You just can't use the Intank if it doesn't fit unfortunately.

It shouldn't be a problem, because you'll just use the other chamber for your media. You just can't use the Intank if it doesn't fit unfortunately.

I am thinking which option is better:

-using only one intank media basket on one side and use tunze 9004 skimmer on the other side. I am worried that I am at disadvantage of removing debris and etc since I only have one intank media basket, or

-return the 9004 skimmer and get IM ghost skimmer that is design for the tank and it will fit. This option allows me to use 2 intank media baskets

Which one is the best option for the health of the tank?

I am thinking which option is better:

-using only one intank media basket on one side and use tunze 9004 skimmer on the other side. I am worried that I am at disadvantage of removing debris and etc since I only have one intank media basket, or

-return the 9004 skimmer and get IM ghost skimmer that is design for the tank and it will fit. This option allows me to use 2 intank media baskets

Which one is the best option for the health of the tank?

I think you'd be fine either way. If it was my choice, I'd return the 9004 and get the ghost skimmer. I have it and love it. It takes a while to break in, but once it does its great. Then you'd get to use both Intank baskets (I run two as well). Then that leaves 1 open inner chamber, which I filled with rubble. I may move the rubble into the Intanks and run a gfo reactor in the empty chamber.

Nice to see it cleared up.

For future reference, I would have run filter floss on the return pump only next time. You don't need your powerhead complicating things as you're trying to clear the sand.

I like the scape.

I wouldn't worry about the micro bubbles currently; give it a week or two to break in and then see if anything needs adjusted.
How low are you running the water in the return chamber?

Nice to see it cleared up.

For future reference, I would have run filter floss on the return pump only next time. You don't need your powerhead complicating things as you're trying to clear the sand.

I like the scape.

I wouldn't worry about the micro bubbles currently; give it a week or two to break in and then see if anything needs adjusted.

How low are you running the water in the return chamber?

I turned off the return pump this morning and just run the powerhead. The powerhead seems to help to release the microbubbles that attached to the surface of rocks, glass, and etc. I can see the microbubbles decrease so much already instantly after I turned off the return pump.

I think it has something to do with the water level in the return pump chamber being too low. I purposely did leave it low to accommodate skimmer that will go into it in less than a week. Only skimmer, return pump, and ATO that I leave it off right now.

Do you think you'll need to keep it that low for the skimmer? Or are you just allowing for the displacement of the skimmer?

You are right for water displacement :)

Got it. Sounds like it will resolve itself then.

Looking good.

Thanks. I just need to go back to the sand bed and tidy up a bit. I also think I can reduce the amount. I put two bags of Caribsea Arag Alive special grade in.

Looks good! Excited to see another IM 40 on here. Not many except for @teenyreef. You guys are both running Nanobox's too. I'm the loner. :( hahah

The only thing that I think Nanobox can improve is the controller. Its dependency to internet to control it is the biggest weak link IMHO. They should have an option for non internet dependent controller. Bluetooth is one good option.

Archived