inTank Media Baskets

low iron tank vs standard glass tank

grinder143

i would like to down grad from a standard 90 to a smaller tank . My question is can you se a different in the clarity when you are talking fairly thin glass say 1/4" glass. I am thinking i would go down to a 40 breeder or a aquamax 38 . i guess the diff is 24 vs 36 and rimless vs non rimless. the little difference in height is negligible . as the rimless not a tremendous issue. really only a difference in the glass. Can you see the difference?

I went from a low iron 70g to a regular glass 40g. Is there a difference between the glass? Sure. Is the difference night and day? Nah. Now the low iron tank was a cad artisan and from my ownership of ADA tanks it was not as clear. My new tank is a custom Visio rimless which BTW has thick glass. I would say that if you are building a huge tank which requires super thick glass then yes it is worth it to go low iron. If you are wanting a smaller one go with a builder that uses high quality glass even for their regular and the difference might not be that big.

Reason I went with regular glass on my new one was because my buddy went with a custom visio rimless 120g (48x30x20) for his and for regular glass his tank looks really good.

the guy who owns my local fish store sells the IM tanks and told me he doesn't think at thinner glass you can see a night and day difference. However i was looking for other opinions as well,

Archived