inTank Media Baskets

125g lighting suggestions?

JCase

I'm setting up my 125g reef again after many many years of being dry. The old lights were DIY MH. I setup a BioCube 29 using NanoBox retro which I really like.

It appears to be a resurgence of using T5/LED lights verses only LEDs

I was in a local fish store the other day. They have an Aquatic Life 72" 8 bulb T5 HO with 6 led night lights used.

Was only able to get 4 lights going yesterday. 1 led module not working. If all 8 bulbs work at a minimum I'll have to replace the bulbs as I do not know the age of them. So that would be about $20 x 8 bulbs = $160

Originally they were asking $175 I might be able to offer $100 but will probably end up somewhere between the two.

Now finally for my question...

Go with the Aquatic Life if it works and put new bulbs in potential worst case cost (new bulbs and fixture) $335

Buy a diy setup? of LEDs maybe from Steve's LED or NanoBox for about $700

Get the Aquatic Life and retrofit LED's into it? $335 plus LED's $???

I'm going back to LFS tomorrow to check the Aquatic Life lights again.

Thanks in advance

John

Most of us have nano tanks so its hard to advise on lighting for 125g.

I'm not a diy lighting person so I can only offer advice on lights i have personally used.

I loved t5ho's but replacing bulbs every 6mnths gets costly. But a lot of ppl still like t5ho's. I'm not sure about the brand you mentioned.

There are a few favoured led fixtures.

I know Nanobox is a favoured one, Radions, Aqua Illumination. You could get Mars Aqua online, not sure how many would be needed for 125g.

For longer fixtures there is Orbit Marine and Aquamaxx.

It really depends on the dimensions of the tank, what corals you plan, and your budget

Here's the thing with DIY, you think you are saving money but at the end you are going to end up spending probably more. I would buy a light that is easily retro'd which can also be reverted like the ATI sunpower. Get a used sunpower, then buy the retro kit from Dave for it and you are in business. That way if you want to revert back to only T5 and sell the sunpower you can very easily.

Your budget will tell the readers what you can or can't do.

If you want both T5 and LED, and can afford it, get the ATI power module hybrid.

If you want LED only, you have many options, but in my opinion , if your tank is around 24" wide, a few AI Hydra 26 HD mounted horizontally will work very well and come out way cheaper than other fixtures, plus it has wireless controllability , which I love.

My LFS has 3 Hydra's 26 on a 120G tank and it looks sweet. Very good coverage with minimal shadowing...

Like I said before, your budget will dictate what you can or can't put over that tank.

Archived