Pod Your Reef

Quick question

lobster876

Hi I have a small 2 inch red pipefish that ive had since july but ive seen him only when I move the rock he hides under in my tank. is there anyhope he will ever be active?

Hi I have a small 2 inch red pipefish that ive had since july but ive seen him only when I move the rock he hides under in my tank. is there anyhope he will ever be active?

If you have aggressive type companions in the tank or the current is too strong in front of the rock work then it'll find it's zen place at the back and not ever come out. Also they are social - so they prefer to be with a mate or a small group to feel confident.

RayWhisperer

Red pipefish doesn't say much. Without knowing which kind you have answers will be limited....

A few things that come to mind right off.

Aggressive, or boisterous tankmates.

Just having one, might also be a factor. Most pipes do better as a pair, or group. Most, not all, mind you.

Tank is too bright.

Starving.

Like I said, without knowing what type of pipe you have, I can only give you generalizations. Genus/species, a picture, a trade/common name, something besides a red pipefish.

Well, what corals you have may be an issue as well. LPS and any stinging corals can be problematic, as well.

My first instinct is feeding and disease. Pipes are notoriously bad shippers and often die from infections developed during shipping. Another common issue is feeding. They can be quite difficult to get to take prepared food.

If you have an led setup that simulates sunrise/sunset, try feeding frozen brine when the lights are really dimmed down.

Well, then it's eating. If you haven't seen it eating anything you feed, it's a good idea to get it to. I've had the best luck using live brine, but I've also done well with frozen brine.

Once it starts eating frozen, it'll come out at every feeding. This will encourage it to feel safer and be out more often. Just start out the feedings when the lights are dimmer.

Archived