Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Found a bucket O rocks

Pjanssen

while cleaning up around my house prepping for the hurricane, I came across a bucket full of rocks. They've been outside, but dry for I don't know how long. What to I need to do to them to get them tank ready. Going to switch out the bryopsis problem rocks in my tank.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am Guessing...A Good Muriatic Acid Bath followed by a good Rinse?

Maybe just need a good long soak in RO/DI for awhile? IDK :(

Don't even know why I am replying....lol!

I am Guessing...A Good Muriatic Acid Bath followed by a good Rinse?

Maybe just need a good long soak in RO/DI for awhile? IDK :(

Don't even know why I am replying....lol!

You crack me up :haha:

What to I need to do to them to get them tank ready.

It kind of depends on where they came from. Was it dry rock that has never been used, or was it live rock?

It kind of depends on where they came from. Was it dry rock that has never been used, or was it live rock?

It was once live rock. felt I had too much rock in the tank. Could go back through my thread and see when I removed it, but I'm guessing maybe a year

Since it was live rock, it probably has a decent amount of dead organic material on it. Some diluted muriatic acid (like Astinus suggested) would strip most of it off. However, it is kind of dangerous and safety precautions need to be used. I could go into more detail if you want. Afterward, you would build a bio-filter with a bacteria culture and dosing ammonium chloride.

Otherwise you could manually brush off as much as you can and then cure it in a separate container with a powerhead. It would likely still have enough organics on it to cause an ammonia spike. Although not necessary, I'd probably also use a bacteria culture to help jump start the process. You could even dose DrTim's Ammonium Chloride to beef up the bio-filter.

I just went through the same thing. The rock was outside for at least a year. Looked clean and bleached by the sun. Did the muriatic Acid bath and couldn't believe the amount of brown nasties.....looked like a 5 gallon skimmer cup.

Totally recommend the muriatic acid......just don't turn your rock into paste.

so soak in muriatic acid solution-2 to 1, 3-1, 4-1?for how long? Then in salt water with Dr. Tims and or macrobacter 7? for how long? Maybe I should just by cured live rock from lfs? trying to save some money so I can buy a maxspect gyre

so soak in muriatic acid solution-2 to 1, 3-1, 4-1?for how long? Then in salt water with Dr. Tims and or macrobacter 7? for how long? Maybe I should just by cured live rock from lfs? trying to save some money so I can buy a maxspect gyre

I'd say it depends on the type of rock (density) and how porous you want it.

All recommendations I saw stated a water to acid ratio of 10:1.

I always more is better, so went about 3:1 for an hour. I started with pukani or however you spell it....melted it pretty good, and some pieces were a little fragile when done......but I loved the look....and would do it again.

The next pieces were Fiji rocks and I did more like a 4:1 ratio and had less aggressive results in the hour soak time.

Third batch was back to 3:1 for an hour with a mix of pukani and Fiji.....I think the 3:1 for an hour was the best mix for me.

Don't forget to have a big box of baking soda to neutralize the acid.

it was fun, I say go for it.

Here is how I prepped my rock: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/301861-100-gallons-behind-a-wall/page-4#entry4343685

If I remember right, I probably lost about 20% of the weight of the rock. I'd dilute it at a 1:20 ratio, as you are primarily trying to remove the organics, not dissolve the rock.

You definitely need to do this outside, and should wear protective eye wear and rubber gloves.

Then in salt water with Dr. Tims and or macrobacter 7? for how long?

Add the bacteria then follow this guide: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Maybe I should just by cured live rock from lfs?

That's a valid option.

I hope it helps. Just a note, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with the phosphate remover. The acid strips the outer layer of the rock, so it shouldn't add any additional value. If the rock still leaches phosphate after an acid bath, it is part of the rock and phosphate remover won't extract that.

Assorted rocks soaking-15-1 solution muriatic acid and RO/DI. Probably could have used filtered tap, but I had the RO/DI so why not

Sweet, did you take any pictures? I would have just used water straight from the hose. But no harm using pure water.

Penny, after you switch out your existing rocks, I'd do this same thing to them. Then just let them dry out (so you can use them later on, or find somebody who wants clean dry rock).

forgot to take pictures from the beginning-too many projects going on at once. But here is the bucket after soaking for a little over an hour

30063860842_01a091ee10.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

And here it is after adding baking soda

30178591565_f910cbd50b.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

And here it is all over my deck that my husband just pressure washed :lol:

Looks like it foamed up quite a bit......by the brown residue on the sides of the bucket.

Did it foam over the top?

Seabass, I see from your thread that you did this several times. Do I need to do that? And then you soaked in bleach

Looks like it foamed up quite a bit......by the brown residue on the sides of the bucket.

Did it foam over the top?

just edited- forgot to paste picture. Yep!

Why do the rocks look dirtier now than before I soaked them? Are they okay?

Seabass, I see from your thread that you did this several times. Do I need to do that? And then you soaked in bleach

just edited- forgot to paste picture. Yep!

Why do the rocks look dirtier now than before I soaked them? Are they okay?

Did you cook off some of the outer layer......now tan showing?

I did mine in a lot heavier concentration of acid than you did.

I blasted each individual piece with the hose after the soak........

I agree, they look good (nice and clean). What you are seeing are the mineral deposits in the rock.

No, I wouldn't do it again. I don't believe that will gain you anything more.

Now sitting in bucket with fresh RO/DI and power head. Thought I had bottle of macrobacter 7, but it was empty (Why I didn't throw it out, we'll never know.) I have a shipment coming soon, so I'm not worried. Once I had the bacteria, I'm going to treat it like cycling a tank, waiting for an ammonia spike etc? I've never used something like Dr Tims so I guess I need to read up on that. I have it sitting covered outside. Will the heat be good for it (temps still in the upper 80's low 90's), Or should I bring it inside with a heater and control the temp?

I do

Penny, after you switch out your existing rocks, I'd do this same thing to them. Then just let them dry out (so you can use them later on, or find somebody who wants clean dry rock).

I do like my current rocks. What's the best way to store dry rock (obviously not in a bucket outside in a shed for months on end!)

Since you've done the acid bath, there might not be an ammonia spike (at least there shouldn't be unless there is some organic material left). So if you want to build up a bio-filter, you probably have to dose ammonium chloride.

Once you old rock has been cleaned and is dry (which will take awhile), I'd store it in a covered container (which could be a 5 gallon bucket, or a larger heavy duty plastic storage container).

Archived