Top Shelf Aquatics

seabass

As for your hatching problems, Idunno.

In this particular case, I know the temperature was too low. They should hatch on day 8 at 80°F, but it was cooler and Sydney hatched on day 10 (with the remaining eggs being eaten/removed on day 11). I'm thinking they ate them because the eggs were no longer viable. I know that temperature affects the hatch date, but I'm not sure if it impacts survival rate of the eggs.

I'll have to check on what specific gravity the breeding fish should be in. I've been keeping it at 1.021 (which is what Joyce D. Wilkerson recommended for the larvae), but I'm not sure if that has any affect on hatching percentage.

I'll also confess to less than favorable water quality. I've been meaning to move them back to their cleaned 100 gallon tank; but they spawned again, so I just left them be. I'll make a better effort to maintain better water quality after I've moved them back.

• Like 3

Sydney @ 15 hours old:

011317a.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I've blacked out the sides so he can hunt easier (but it's harder to take pictures).

• Like 11

Yea, Sydney! We are all pulling for him (tho as the lone survivor he truly earned the name Nemo).

His name is actually a reference to the movie (as in 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney).

• Like 5

Sydney didn't make it through the night. Having hatched on day 10, I'm assuming that he didn't have much for energy reserves. I hope to try again soon.

On a side note, this weekend, I moved my fish back to their 100 gallon tank.

Sydney didn't make it through the night. Having hatched on day 10, I'm assuming that he didn't have much for energy reserves. I hope to try again soon.

On a side note, this weekend, I moved my fish back to their 100 gallon tank.

So sorry about Sydney. I applaud you for keeping up the effort - you are certainly adding to the knowledge base. Success soon!

• Like 2

The female may be having a problem. Her ovipositor has not retracted since the move. My guess is that she was ready to lay eggs and the move threw her off. Now it looks like she's egg impacted. She ate yesterday, but showed no interest today. I'm getting kind of worried about her.

I added their original spawning rock yesterday in hopes she would lay her eggs. They are showing interest in the rock, so I'm hopeful she will lay her eggs soon. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to help her.

I saw this video of someone massaging the eggs out:

But I'd like to avoid this if possible.

• Like 1

The poor thing. Could you really do that egg extraction? He looks like he is cleaning off the rock that's a good sign. Your efforts are very much appreciated by so many members here. Thanks again for keeping us updated.

• Like 2

The poor thing. Could you really do that egg extraction?

I'm not able to find out much about the process. She's definitely egg bound. I've read several posts where squeezing the eggs out can damage and kill the fish. However, she still isn't eating today and isn't acting like she's ready to spawn either. I'm concerned for her health either way. I'm going to buy a clay pot and see if that doesn't induce her to spawn. Otherwise, I'm might have to try extracting the eggs.

Ok. Perhaps I spoke too soon. He won't soon be here. However, he watched your video and believes its not egg bound. He said its more likely poop bound. Says its likely to be fatal. However, he suggested trying the veggie version of Rods food.

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, I really appreciate you asking for me!

She's not eating anything, so I'm not sure a diet change would help. However, I know she was ready to spawn (and now refuses to). In retrospect, I should have let them spawn and then move them; but I didn't want to disturb them by separating the parents from their eggs. Hindsight is 20/20.

I hope I don't lose her. I thought about calling our vet, but I'm not sure that they could help or how much that might even cost. I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Seabass. I see this from time to time. When I have seen it it is not egg bound. It's poop bound. Postmortem dissection proved it. I believe it's from an obstruction in the intestinal track, or a bacterial infection of the anal opening. In any case,almost every time I've seen it, it was fatal. The egg tube will be pushed out because of the pressure inside the fish. Some breeders call this "bloat". Some breeders believe that feeding frozen food contributes to the bloating condition. There are a few times when the fish did recover, though not due to my efforts. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Pray Hard

By the way. I am that Redneck.

• Like 3

Thanks Booyah, I appreciate the input (albeit bad news). It's good of you to join Nano-Reef to share your experience. I hope you stay around, and welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

• Like 2

Well, the redneck clown breeder of Booyahs reef did show up, after all.

He was a member, but couldn't sign in for some reason. He just re joined.

Seabass, I've never dealt with bloat, or egg impaction. Bloat in FW fish is something I've dealt with, though. Pretty common with Tropheus species. My experience with those is similar to Bootah's.

Sorry, bud. I hope she pulls through.

• Like 2

I believe Ray and Booyah; but felt that if her affliction would be fatal anyway, I'd attempt to do something. Here was my unsuccessful attempt at extracting her eggs (in an attempt to relieve pressure on her, so she could poop). I'm sure I did not push hard enough. I was reluctant to do too much because I read where this could also kill her. It was kind of stressful on her, so I gave up.