ReefCleaners.org

help on adding new lamp and light increase LPS and softy

al404

I have a 17G tank with 2 X 11w led lamp with blue and white led

since I think I need some more light and i want to increase blue, the lamp has 2 separate channel for white and blue, I bought a 3rd lamp

I'm not sure how to add the lamp

I was thinking about lovering all 3 lamp on white channel and keep the blue higher

would white or blue light has the same reaction on corals?

now my softy often stretch like to reach light

how do i know If i not giving too much?

my softy are finger leather coral

Blue light will have a greater effect than just white as the corals themselves are more dependent on blue light for growth. If you don't lower the blue light levels as well as the white, you may have trouble.

If you have control over the lights, then I would set all three fixtures to 50% of what you currently have them set to. That will put you at the same relative intensity that you had with two fixtures. From that point, raise the output on each light by 3-5% every other week. The slower you raise it, the better your chances of acclimating your corals to higher light levels without any bleaching or coral death. As the intensity increases, the corals will start to stretch less. If you end up hitting them with too much light, you will see the corals start to close up and possibly bleach. Just take it slow and don't try and run the lights as high as possible. Get to a happy medium where the corals are happy with the increase in intensity.

Evil knows a lot on lighting.

I did the same. I upgraded to Ai Prime from my cheapy par38 and started the new light at 30% and acclimated 3% weekly.

Ppl under estimate led lights and end up melting/bleaching corals often.

Archived