Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY LED 10 Gallon

suhaib10

Hi I am currently starting a 10 Gallon Saltwater tank and would hope fully like to grow coral. The tank has a single T8 fixture, so ill be upgrading to a DIY Led system. This is a very cheap build and I plan to build this with mainly parts left over from my other projects.

15x 3W LEDs:

6x Royal Blue (440-450nm)

2x Normal Blue (460-465nm)

4x Cool Whites (6000K-6500K)

3x Full Spectrum(Violet colored ones found on ebay) (380-840nm)

I made a LED lighting system before and know for most part wiring and electrical stuff. I already have 2 meanwell dimmable drivers and a few ebay ones to control each heatsink individually. I have some left over heatsinks which are 100mmx20mmx6mm, so I plan on using 5 of those with 3 leds on each. The heatsinks will have 20mm space between each other and will be held together by 2 x 30 mm wide aluminum, one on each end and a 90mm fan attached in the middle. I plan on using a Arduino with an rtc clock to control the brightness and keep it automated. I have attached a drawing on how I plan on placing them, with the white ones towards the front of the tank and the full spectrum one towards the back.

Before I go ahead with the leds is the ratio or amount of leds okay? Too much , too little, are the full spectrum ones useless? And if the placement is fine?

So will this build work for soft corals, mainly zoas(they are just so cool looking)?

post-92400-0-58705400-1475551894_thumb.png

I assume a standard 10g?

So do you already have the LED's and is that what's driving the color choices? It sounds like you want to keep this cheap while still having a good light? Sounds a lot like me lol.

IMO though, you would be better served by a 2:1 ratio of royal blue:neutral white (more like 4000k). You could still keep the blue, and some of the violet LEDs too. Have the royal blue and blue on a channel (assuming they're similar voltage) and the white on a second channel. The violets may need to be on their own channel if you end up using them since I wouldn't run them at the same intensity as the whites.

I probably wouldn't describe normal violet LEDs as full spectrum though - they're actually a pretty specific spectrum and not very bright to the human eye. Not sure which you picked up though... Got a link?

Anyways - that's what I would do for LED choices. Your heatsink setup looks interesting - Not sure if they're thick enough (6mm?) for too much current though - maybe plan on running them at 3-500ma? If you're set on using them I would cluster them together though and then put the fan on top so it hits all of them.

Good luck! I also use an arduino to control my LEDs. I'm actually in the process of testing the code to add a 5th channel to my array.

Thanks for replying,

Yes I was planning to work with these since I ready have them but I don't mind buying more LEDs. I do have 3 3200k LEDs would those work I thought the cool might be more appealing so went with those.

The full spectrum ones aren't exactly violet (not in the 300-4xxnm range). Can't find the exact ones but like this: http://m.ebay.ca/itm/1-30-pcs-1W-3W-High-Power-LED-without-PCB-Grow-lights-aquarium-Heatsink-/141679345010?nav=SEARCH

Should give an idea for the range, in my opinion they might cause algae issues since the have reds and work great for plants.S o should I just dump them.

Yes I tried the LEDs before and the managed to get to 80c on them without cooling so I hope the fan would help, if not I'll try lowering the current. Won't sticking them together decrease the spread of light.

Honestly I would love to buy a proper heatsink like one from rapid led, but the price for it with shipping here to Canada and with our dollar being lower just kills it. Might as well go the Mars Aqua then, but this does give the ability to upgrade in the future and customize the lighting more specifically so I'll stick with it.

Your "full spectrum" LEDs are purples/pinks/magentas. They are a blue LED with a red phosphor applied. I don't advise using them. Try one if you like, but no more than that.

What you have left can work. With the 6500K whites, the light will look a little cold and quite blue. Neutral whites will warm the light up some and improve the color rendering. I think the amount of light that you would have would be plenty for a softie 10g tank.

Archived