Pod Your Reef

New 10 Gallon + Lighting

suhaib10

reeferbrownies

Hey guys quick question, do you think it would be ethical to keep a mandarin in a 10g if it is trained to eat frozen, and how tough is it. I have been reading around many say it is quite possible to train them on frozen mysis and brine. I could feed live copepods since a guy close by cultures them and sells for like $20 a coke bottle (yup) filled with them while I'm training it.

Reason I ask is because last week when i went to my lfs i saw a bunch of mandarin in a fairly shallow atleast 50g tank with live sand no rocks. This week I saw two dead in the tank, so I played dumb and checked with the owner if they eat frozen or pellets and he's said They usually eat microscopic creatures in the sand and live brine( and I checked I could barely see any copepods.). There are like 6 of them in the tank spotted and regular with shrunk bellies almost an hourglass shape. :( feel so bad for them.

So how tough is it?

From what Ive seen it is pretty hard to get them to feed. If you really want to try it make sure you have plenty of copepods just in case. It has been done before in a ten gallon heres the article http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/nano-mandarin-full-article.htmI do suggest you to read it and see how he did it. If you do try it make sure you have somewhere to give the fish away if your plan doesn't work.

And about the powerhead, purchase a jebao powerhead they are DC so they're adjustable which really helps tuning in the flow

I would say no.

Mandarins are difficult to keep even when trained on food. They need a constant food supply. The amount of food you will need to feed in a 10g, you will have issues with high nutrient levels. The amount of $$$ you will spend on pods from what I read is about $40/mnth.

If they are already skinny and some are dying, I wouldn't buy them.

There are tons of threads on here regarding Mandarins.

They are not a good befinner fish and do need larger tanks.

Archived