ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Oh no! I hope he pulls through. If you need anything (knowing you you probably wont), please let me know!

Thanks Nick, I appreciate you asking but I don't even know what can help. I have contacted Abbie and Dan where I bought him and asked if there is anything I can do. I am hoping but I am being realistic too.

This makes me sad.

Me too, I feel really sad. :-(

Oh no!! So sorry dawn. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for little Boaz!

Thanks Rachel!

I hope he can make a comeback! If anyone can get him better it would be you :)

I appreciate the confidence but I don't know what to do for this? Maybe Seahorse Source will have a suggestion.

• Like 1

I had bought a Jabao DCT-6000 a month or so ago. I finally had a chance to install it today. After what the ancient mag drive 9.5 has endured I thought I better swap it out. The Jabao is more energy efficient and will give off less heat. It is as quiet as it gets too. I am liking it.

I did vinegar bath the mag drive and I will keep it as a back up. Hopefully it'll start up if I ever need it again.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, teenyreef said:

I'm so sorry about little Boaz, that's just heartbreaking :(

It really is teeny. I moved him to the fuge in the sump because it is shallower and easier for him to hitch to things, plus I can observe him better. There are live shrimp down there in case he would make a miraculous comeback but I don't see that happening.

100_8570_zpsgtvifrbp.jpg

I cleaned the tank yesterday and I decided that my thread needed some happy pics to offset the tragic.

• Like 2

It really is beautiful, Dawn. It's so sad to hear about Boaz. Did you find out what the issue was? An unbalance inside of him?

I have to admit that I am only guessing on all of it, Nick. I think I can feel fairly sure that the return pump not running was definitely a contributing factor. Without the return the tank was aerated but not much filtering other than biological from the LR. Still with only 3 ponies and a royal gramma in almost 60 gallons of water they should have been alright for the 4 days I was gone. So my best guess is when I got the text that something was wrong, the macros in the fuge were already in poor shape and disintegrating. Then when I instructed my fish sitter to add ro/di water the sump pumped dying macro algae matter into the display just long enough to pollute it. Then the level dropped again which stopped the skimming from reaching the display thus destabilizing the tank. Most marine fish and corals would have weathered that ok but seahorses, (especially the males) do not handle a high amount of organic matter in the water column. It probably did not help that the salinity dropped fast too.

I have read that it is theorized that it creates an inbalance in their system and that is what is believed to cause gas bubble disease, which is what Boaz has. (GBD is nearly always fatal although it can sometimes be treated with Diamox. Diamox is a medication used for glaucoma in people so it is not easy to get since it requires a prescription.) I don't really understand it all about high organics but I know that is why experienced keepers recommend such big skimmers for seahorses. That is the same condition that killed Adam, my first male seahorse. I am going to ask my vet for a script for Diamox and research its shelf life and price.

I hope I did not overwhelm you with too much info Nick but if someday you keep seahorses, you should be aware of this stuff.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I just found out that Diamox has a shelf life of 48 months. If I can get it I need to keep some on hand.

You didn't overwhelm me. I love learning about this stuff! Hopefully you can get a prescription. I actually applied for two apprenticeships that were advertised at my school- one at the zoo and the other at the aquarium!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of the health issues Dawn. Seems like the males are a royal pain in the rear. :(

I know a lot of women that would say that it's typical of all males...lol

• Like 4

You didn't overwhelm me. I love learning about this stuff! Hopefully you can get a prescription. I actually applied for two apprenticeships that were advertised at my school- one at the zoo and the other at the aquarium!

That is awesome Nick. A friend of my son's worked at the zoo a couple summers. She is a veterinarian now.

Sorry to hear of the health issues Dawn. Seems like the males are a royal pain in the rear. :(

"Seems like the males are a royal pain in the rear." You mean "seems like the male seahorses...", right? Ha ha!

Yes, its really hard emotionally when a seahorse is sick. He is lingering for such a long time and yet I know he can't get better. I am close to making a decision not to keep male seahorses.

I know a lot of women that would say that it's typical of all males...lol

Ha ha, I should have read your quote before I answered Mark! However I can honestly say that is not my experience with all males.

• Like 1

"Seems like the males are a royal pain in the rear." You mean "seems like the male seahorses...", right? Ha ha!

Yes, its really hard emotionally when a seahorse is sick. He is lingering for such a long time and yet I know he can't get better. I am close to making a decision not to keep male seahorses.

Ha ha, I should have read your quote before I answered Mark! However I can honestly say that is not my experience with all males.

The male seahorse takes care of the gestation period, right? Maybe that has something to do with them being more fragile. They have more stress put on their bodies.
  • Like 2
On 1/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, gena said:

The male seahorse takes care of the gestation period, right? Maybe that has something to do with them being more fragile. They have more stress put on their bodies.

Yes, I do believe that is why they are more susceptible to disease and such.

100_8554_zpsn5vdqbt6.jpg

Another pic of Ruth.

• Like 2

Well it is with great sadness that I let you all know that Boaz passed today. He was breathing so weakly this morning that I felt like the end had to be near. He never thrashed or looked uncomfortable which is a blessing but losing a seahorse has to be the hardest part about keeping them.

I will not be getting any more seahorses ATM because I am awaiting a grandchild's arrival. When the little one comes then I will be going for 2 weeks to help mom and dad with things around the house so they can bond with baby. Dave is already nervous about caring for the ponies while I'm gone so it will be less risky to only have Eve and Ruth then. That gives the tank more time to totally stabilize. It also gives me more time to decide whether I want another pair of ponies, 2 more females or just one female.

Well it is with great sadness that I let you all know that Boaz passed today. He was breathing so weakly this morning that I felt like the end had to be near. He never thrashed or looked uncomfortable which is a blessing but losing a seahorse has to be the hardest part about keeping them.

I will not be getting any more seahorses ATM because I am awaiting a grandchild's arrival. When the little one comes then I will be going for 2 weeks to help mom and dad with things around the house so they can bond with baby. Dave is already nervous about caring for the ponies while I'm gone so it will be less risky to only have Eve and Ruth then. That gives the tank more time to totally stabilize. It also gives me more time to decide whether I want another pair of ponies, 2 more females or just one female.

I'm so sorry dawn :(

• Like 1

Sounds like a peaceful passing, thankfully!

Congrats!!!! How exciting...will you be out here in California? It's been raining like crazy lately :).

• Like 1

Sounds like a peaceful passing, thankfully!Congrats!!!! How exciting...will you be out here in California? It's been raining like crazy lately :).

Yes, Boaz went quietly for which I am very thankful.

Ha ha, no not California, wrong son and daughter in law. I have 3 sons and daughter in laws. The one I am going to be with is Nate and Krista, (the one with the reef tank) and they live south of Charlotte just over the border in South Carolina. It is very exciting. They have 2 boys they are fostering to adopt, Jared and Jake, but this will be their first biological child. Dave and I's grandchildren are growing with their family hopefully adding 3 this year!

• Like 3