inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

On 12/22/2016 at 6:15 PM, gena said:

Oh that is so pretty! What a lovely tank :wub:.

Thank you gena. I love this tank for my ponies.

20161222_193734_zpso1xhxhla.jpg

Eve is a beauty in her own right!

• Like 4

The tank is so beautiful, Dawn! I love the video :)

Thanks John, I appreciate that!

Looks beautiful!! What is the green algae on the bottom right?

Thank you Rachel. That green algae is just caulerpa. I did not want it near the main rock work but I am ok with it on the conch shell.

Love the new scape!

Thanks Nick, I love how easy it is to change my scape with the bb.

• Like 2

Beautiful tank Dawn. We're going to go collect some seahorses from The Chesapeake Bay this spring hopefully.

Thank you for the kind words on my tank.

A woman in my local reef club also collects seahorses on the east coast. She says that she gets them eating frozen mysis within a few weeks.

I don't know a lot about wild caught since my ponies are captive bred and they should not be mixed. There is a man with the username rayjay on RC who knows about deworming and the QT procedure for wild caught if you want to look him up. He has over a decade of experience and is pretty knowledgeable.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
On 12/25/2016 at 1:29 PM, vlangel said:

20161225_135955_zpsn9kxwy1f.jpg

Merry Christmas from the seahorses and a Happy New Year!

Same to you! The grape caulerpa you gave me double in size again- I trimmed it two weeks ago!

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to visit your thread in awhile, and everything looks gorgeous and in full bloom! :) Ponies must be happy in their new home!

Thanks for stopping by. This tank is really terrific from a maintenance point of view. Twice a week I do a water change and once a week i run a scrubby brush over the bottom and back wall to get rid of micro algae and then I syphon out the debris that collects in one spot.

I do think the ponies love all the gorgs and macro algaes to hitch to. They also seem to enjoy the high flow in certain areas. I am learning not to frustrate myself with coral that are finicky and concentrate instead on coral that can thrive in seahorse conditions. For me coral have become an accessory to the seahorses.

• Like 3

I just got done training a new seahorse sitter to feed the ponies while we go away over New Years weekend. They are sisters in family that I walk their dog. The older sister wants to be a vet or doctor. Dad came during the instructing process plus I have it written down and premeasured. I decided a short trip was a good way to ease the girls into seahorse sitting. After all, with the food premeasured and only feeding 2 days, what can go wrong?

• Like 7
On 12/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, vlangel said:

Thank you gena. I love this tank for my ponies.

20161222_193734_zpso1xhxhla.jpg

Eve is a beauty in her own right!

Wow..such a stunning photo (tank). Happy New Year to you!!!!

• Like 3
RIP Sebastian

Dawn!! I think I want to venture into the world of Seahorse. Is there an online database to get me started.

Seeing her tank in person got me hooked on them. Alas, I'll have to wait for another ten years or so. I think seahorse.com is a good one.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Dawn! The ponies look so happy, and I'm sure the new tank sitters will do great since you were so careful in training them :)

• Like 1

Dawn!! I think I want to venture into the world of Seahorse. Is there an online database to get me started.

Like RIP Sebastian said, seahorse.com (Ocean Rider) offers an excellant online training course for free. It is very comprehensive and it is administrated by Pete Giwonja who is one of the leading experts on seahorses. Ocean Rider implies that you should buy seahorses from them but its not mandated. I would start there.

Wow..such a stunning photo (tank). Happy New Year to you!!!!

A little late but Happy New Year to you, Gena!

• Like 2

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Dawn! The ponies look so happy, and I'm sure the new tank sitters will do great since you were so careful in training them :)

A bit late but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well! We had a great trip but I almost came home to a disaster tank wise. When I got home I checked the sump because my sitter texted me and said the tank was gurgling. I asked them to check the sump level and they replied that it was low. I told them to use the ro/di water I had in the brute can and fill to the line. They replied that fixed it.

All was well I thought until I got home and found the return chamber pumped dry! I turned off the return and looked for a leak. It was with the chiller so I took it off line. The macros in the fuge looked poor so I weeded out most and only kept the healthy looking ones. Then I drained the sump and refilled with freshly made saltwater. I couldn't hardly believe it but when I turned on the 10 year old used 9.5 mag drive pump that ran dry, she started right up! That pump is almost bullet proof. The salinity was down to .020 but with the water change I have it up to .022 now. I am making more ro/di tonight and will do another change tomorrow. Amazingly both the ponies and the coral look fine so I think I dodged a bullet.

• Like 5
jedimasterben

As long as there was SOME water, then the impeller should be okay, but might want to check it just in case, it may work for a while then go out. :)

• Like 1

As long as there was SOME water, then the impeller should be okay, but might want to check it just in case, it may work for a while then go out. :)

There was a little water in the chamber, maybe 1 and a half inches or even 2. Perhaps that kept things cool enough not to trash the pump. Its been working all day. I had bought a DCT-6000 on black Friday just because my pump is so old so I have a back up. I need to buy the plumbing fixtures so that it is ready to just swap out. I hate to put the DC pump in while this old mag drive keeps going. I am afraid to try and keep the mag drive as a back up as if its laying around it might not ever start up again, kind of like me, ha ha!

I'm glad everything's ok! :) When I started reading that post I was so worried!

Thanks fishfreak, I was trying not to be an alarmist but I can never resist creating a little drama in my thread. I felt that same worry when I saw all the dead looking macros in my fuge. I was scared bacteria would get a foothold and attack my ponies. They are still looking good today and the tank looks alright too. I did a small 5 gallon WC today and am making a brute can of water to do another bigger change tonight.

Glad to hear that the tank is okay and that your trip went well!

Thanks Nick. I hope your Christmas was nice and that you enjoyed New Years as well. It was probably a nice break anyhow.

• Like 3