Pod Your Reef

Bacteria bloom

PaulMrks

Well I went too fast and got a bacteria bloom.

Someone told me add bio spira an air stone and lights off. Which I did.

Any tips? Corals aren't retracted. Fish are fine. Even without the air stone.

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate under 5. Tanks been running like 2 months ish.

Added a lot of corals at once. That probably set this off.

What was the point of adding the bio-spira? Weren't you already cycled?

My tip is: Don't listen to anyone until you've had multiple opinions from members on nano-reef LOL.

I just bought live rocks from a guy that told me I could drop them straight into my tank, which caused a mini cycle and I just lost a fish loved dearly by my family, and now I have a bacterial bloom!

What was the point of adding the bio-spira? Weren't you already cycled?

My tip is: Don't listen to anyone until you've had multiple opinions from members on nano-reef LOL.

I just bought live rocks from a guy that told me I could drop them straight into my tank, which caused a mini cycle and I just lost a fish loved dearly by my family, and now I have a bacterial bloom!

I don't know I figured that bacteria eats this bacteria ? Nothing is stressed. The air stone is a good a idea as the bacteria depletes oxygen. I don't know about the lights. I'm gonna turn my skimmer back on and run GFO. I just did another test right before writing this everything is 0 as usual. 3 trates.

Probably do water 20% water changes twice a week and eventually it will go away.

What size tank?

25 gal. I'm actually to blame I've been over feeding with garlic and vitamin infused foods because I don't know what's going on with the Royal gramma I wanted to boost everyone's immunities. I went from feeding every other day to everyday twice.

Bacterial blooms will usually go away on their own. However, to shorten the bloom, you might use Caribsea's BioMagnet Clarifier (along with filter floss), or a UV sterilizer.

Bacterial blooms will usually go away on their own. However, to shorten the bloom, you might use Caribsea's BioMagnet Clarifier (along with filter floss), or a UV sterilizer.

Have floss. Socks. And Seachem Clarity in there. Don't have a UV. Maybe somebody my local forum has one I can borrow. My only concern is the oxygen depletion.

Running your protein skimmer should be adequate to keep oxygen levels up. An air stone would add even more, but I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I don't really know why they suggested lights out.

Running your protein skimmer should be adequate to keep oxygen levels up. An air stone would add even more, but I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I don't really know why they suggested lights out.

I battled it all day today with a flocculant and swapping floss every 20 minutes as it became clogged to the point it was backing up. Got a lot of it down. Still some shadows in the light. Someone suggested bio spira. Would that bacteria help clear it ?

IDK, people often use it (or similar products) when dealing with bacterial imbalances. However, adding more bacteria, during a bloom of bacteria, only makes sense if it can somehow out compete the other strain, or assists with removal of the source which has caused the bloom in the first place.

IDK, people often use it (or similar products) when dealing with bacterial imbalances. However, adding more bacteria, during a bloom of bacteria, only makes sense if it can somehow out compete the other strain, or assists with removal of the source which has caused the bloom in the first place.

Well what triggered it was I changed my feeding from every other day to two to three times a day. So my fault. So if food which is an ammonia source caused this. Denitrifying bacteria should assist in it? That's my theory anyway I could be wrong. I didn't dose it tho don't wanna add fire on fire.

Yeah, I'm not sure that adding denitrifying bacteria cultures would help, do nothing, or add to the problem (I'm leaning towards do nothing). However, it sounds like things are improving, so I would probably just stay the course for now.

Yeah, I'm not sure that adding denitrifying bacteria cultures would help, do nothing, or add to the problem (I'm leaning towards do nothing). However, it sounds like things are improving, so I would probably just stay the course for now.

Eh whatever I have carbon running and I'm wet skimming and I dosed clarity again just now let it run over night hopefully tomorrow it's gone.

Archived