ReefCleaners.org

2nd clown MIA?

dandelion

It's been 7-8 months since my last clown fish went missing. A few days ago my female decided to teleport as well. ?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/370233-clown-mia-%F0%9F%98/

I did WC the night before, fed them, and didn't look at the tank anymore. Both clowns were happy and active when I fed. Next day evening came feeding time, I went to the tank and noticed the female is gone.

I lifted all the rocks and nothing was underneath. Not even a fin or a tail. My lid fits tightly over the top of the tank. I have a gutter cover that I cut to accommodate the HOB equipments so there are practically no gaps big enough for a fish to fly through.

Provided how all the other fish are fine except for the missing clown, I highly suspect it's some kind of hidden predator in my tank. The remaining clown also seem to get frightened rather easily. Not sure if it's just because it is by itself or if it witnessed the loss of its mate.

I know I have some bristle(?) worms are are 6-8 inches long, may be longer. How do I tell if they really are harmless bristle worm or if they are fireworms?

mystersyster

Fireworm won't attack a healthy clown, but they will probably consume the body once it dies. I'm guessing your CuC and various creatures ate hee after she died.

I had a super healthy Helfrichi Firefish disappear in my 50 gal. He was perfectly fine for 4 months, suddenly he wasn't.

Also happened with an Alfobasciata Possum Wrasse, disappeared out of the blue.

"The Reef" consumes them.

RIP Sebastian

It's been 7-8 months since my last clown fish went missing. A few days ago my female decided to teleport as well.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/370233-clown-mia-%F0%9F%98/

I did WC the night before, fed them, and didn't look at the tank anymore. Both clowns were happy and active when I fed. Next day evening came feeding time, I went to the tank and noticed the female is gone.

I lifted all the rocks and nothing was underneath. Not even a fin or a tail. My lid fits tightly over the top of the tank. I have a gutter cover that I cut to accommodate the HOB equipments so there are practically no gaps big enough for a fish to fly through.

Provided how all the other fish are fine except for the missing clown, I highly suspect it's some kind of hidden predator in my tank. The remaining clown also seem to get frightened rather easily. Not sure if it's just because it is by itself or if it witnessed the loss of its mate.

I know I have some bristle(?) worms are are 6-8 inches long, may be longer. How do I tell if they really are harmless bristle worm or if they are fireworms?

Man, that sucks. Sorry. I can't imagine losing one of my clowns, let alone two. I recently read your last thread, so I know the circumstances. Maybe the male sent her a text of where he was and she decided to follow her hubby? :)

I had a royal gramma mysteriously die once. IT was very odd. I did find part of the body, though. One factor might be the fact that they were wild-caught. Strange things always seem to happen to wild-caught specimens, at least in comparison to captive-bred ones. Those bristle worms are pretty big, they would surely be able to consume and entire body. I don't know what could have happened.

Good luck,

Nick

I have seen the worm pull out the body of a dead (or near dead) giant turbo snail so I have no doubt they can consume the clown in 24 hours. I just don't get what happened. It's swimming fine and then zap it died? Or if the worms got up to her along the aquarium wall and killed her. ?

Man, that sucks. Sorry. I can't imagine losing one of my clowns, let alone two. I recently read your last thread, so I know the circumstances. Maybe the male sent her a text of where he was and she decided to follow her hubby? :)

I had a royal gramma mysteriously die once. IT was very odd. I did find part of the body, though. One factor might be the fact that they were wild-caught. Strange things always seem to happen to wild-caught specimens, at least in comparison to captive-bred ones. Those bristle worms are pretty big, they would surely be able to consume and entire body. I don't know what could have happened.

Good luck,

Nick

Strange things seem to happen to many of us.

I had a healthy and happy blenny, one day I didn't see it all day. Never left its home. By next day I saw my pom pom dragging its body out of the rock. I don't think the pom pom killed it but the clean up crew definitely had done its job.

I guess after all I should be glad that my CUC is doing its job. If not the rotting flesh will just kill all of the inhabitants.

Strange things seem to happen to many of us.

I had a healthy and happy blenny, one day I didn't see it all day. Never left its home. By next day I saw my pom pom dragging its body out of the rock. I don't think the pom pom killed it but the clean up crew definitely had done its job.

Archived