Top Shelf Aquatics

Need assistance with driver selection

Chi_nano_reefer

Chi_nano_reefer

Hello Nano-Reef, I am researching a full spectrum build for my Aquatop Zen Nano 5 gallon. I am looking to place an order for the supplies, I will be ordering 2-3 ups (RB/NW), 2 Hyper violets and 1 OCW. I want to be able to control the color and intensity. I realize this is alot of light for the size of the tank, but I want the ability to upgrade my tank in the future.

I need assistance with choosing drivers.

I was thinking 2 26W inventronics drivers, 1 for the whites and 1 for the colors.

Is this a good Idea or will I blow something up?

This is the layout I will be using also:

post-67605-0-56802300-1475420267_thumb.png

Any input would be greatly appriciated....

Thanks

That's not going to work. First problem is that a 26W Inventronics does not have a low enough voltage range to be able to run two white LEDs. Second problem is that you will hate the color from the rest of the LEDs if you can't control them. Third is that you don't want to use the OCW. There are better options. This is what I would do

2x neutral whites

1x warm white

4x royal blue

2x blue (470nm)

2x violets

Same number of LEDs, but a better blend. The warm white is replacing the red from the OCW. Produces the same general effect (warming the colors in the tank and improving color rendering in certain colors), but blends better with the other colors. The blues are better than the cyan/turquoise on the OCW. This setup you can run on two drivers and not have it look odd. More drivers will give you better control though. Driver 1 could run the neutral whites, warm white, and the blues. Driver 2 would run the royal blues, and the violets. You still won't be able to use the 26W Inventronics drivers though

Not really. Tight clusters help a lot with color shadow issues (also known as disco effect). With a small cluster like this, it won't make a lot of difference where the different colors are. The only suggestion would be to spread the colors around a bit so that you don't have large blocks of color in any one area.

Archived