Pod Your Reef

Tank weight: will it fall through the floor?

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Hey everyone :)

I'm posting this on behalf of my mother, because she said that people on this forum seem nicer than people on other forums (and I happen to agree!). Here's the dilemma...

The opportunity has risen to buy a 100g corner tank with a custom made oak stand, fluval fx5, lights etc for $500. What a steal! She's wanted to upgrade her freshwater tank for a long time. But she's really worried that the tank will make the floor sag, and worst case scenario fall right through in time.

Obviously, it would be in the corner of the room against two walls, which I think would provide a decent amount of support. Both walls are outside walls if that helps. The joists in our floor are made of fir. There would probably be two running under the tank. They run lengthwise across the room, about 16" apart and they are approximately 20' long. She thinks they are 2 by 10's (whatever that means lol).

So, do you guys think the tank will be ok on our second floor? Thanks in advance :)

-Olivia

Yes you should be fine. Especially since you're near an outside (load bearing) wall you shouldn't have any issues.

The subfloor will spread out the weight of the tank over several joists and as long as the floor was constructed properly it will hold the weight.

I agree, assuming that it was built properly, I don't anticipate any problems. The floor should be sturdier by the external walls.

fishfreak0114

My mom said to say a big thank you to you guys from her :). She's getting the tank! It comes with a bunch of cichlids that she's going to sell...now how to convince her to let me keep a pair of convicts? I really want to breed them in our current tank.

Haha. Although I believe the information you received was accurate, it always amazes me that people take online advice from people who may not have experience on a particular subject. Anyways, good luck to your mom; and I hope she enjoys her new tank! :)

fishfreak0114

Haha. Although I believe the information you received was accurate, it always amazes me that people take online advice from people who may not have experience on a particular subject. Anyways, good luck to your mom; and I hope she enjoys her new tank! :)

Thanks :) She did talk to a bunch of other people including a carpenter. She was just super hesitant and wanted even more opinions on it, and you and ajmckay always seem to have good knowledgable advice :) She said I can keep a pair of convicts! So excited :D that puts me up to 6 tanks!

I'm glad she checked it out. I've researched it before, but have never consulted a pro. But I do my best not to give bad advice.

Wow, 6 tanks! That's impressive. Sounds like you take after your mom. :)

fishfreak0114

I'm glad she checked it out. I've researched it before, but have never consulted a pro. But I do my best not to give bad advice.

Wow, 6 tanks! That's impressive. Sounds like you take after your mom. :)

All my tanks drive her insane! She only ever has one. She definitely didn't know what she was getting into when she got me my first tank when I was 3 :P

Archived