Pod Your Reef

Advice on frogspawn

Oracus

My frogspawn has been in the tank since Sept 15, it stayed closed for two days then opened fully after that. On Sept 22 did my weekly water change(day behind schedule) of 4 gal. On Sept 25 noticed the frogspawn closed up but not fully retracted. I tested parameters

Temperature: constant 78.4

Ammonia: .25 ppm(false reading)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

pH: 8.0

Alkaline kh: 161ppm

Calcium: 420 ppm

Specific Gravity: 1.025

​Phosphate: 0

Tested again on the 26th because of the ammonia and tested 0.

As of last night it was still closed but not as much even after my weekly WC

Side note my timer malfunctioned last night and did not shutoff this morning (17hrs on), so i left the timer off today to hopefully prevent any negative affects.

http://imgur.com/X6Q9LYe

X6Q9LYe.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

My frogspawn has been in the tank since Sept 15, it stayed closed for two days then opened fully after that. On Sept 22 did my weekly water change(day behind schedule) of 4 gal. On Sept 25 noticed the frogspawn closed up but not fully retracted. I tested parameters

Temperature: constant 78.4

Ammonia: .25 ppm(false reading)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

pH: 8.0

Alkaline kh: 161ppm

Calcium: 420 ppm

Specific Gravity: 1.025

​Phosphate: 0

Tested again on the 26th because of the ammonia and tested 0.

As of last night it was still closed but not as much even after my weekly WC

Side note my timer malfunctioned last night and did not shutoff this morning (17hrs on), so i left the timer off today to hopefully prevent any negative affects.

http://imgur.com/X6Q9LYe

wheres it placed at and how much light is it getting?

Pic posted above.

It is under the output flow on the bottom. The light 36w par38 led is currently 10in above water line, I raised it 2in afew days ago. Photoperiod is 7hrs plus 1hr of actinic light

Cencalfishguy56

Pic posted above.

It is under the output flow on the bottom. The light 36w par38 led is currently 10in above water line, I raised it 2in afew days ago. Photoperiod is 7hrs plus 1hr of actinic light

sorry barely noticed the link lol, sometimes I notice my euphyllia is pissed off for a day then goes back to normal, it still looks fluffy just somewhat retracted, maybe try the front corner of the tank? It's not flow because it definitely isn't getting blasted, your parameters are right where I have mine just about, only thing I could think about would be light possibly? Maybe it's getting too much

sorry barely noticed the link lol, sometimes I notice my euphyllia is pissed off for a day then goes back to normal, it still looks fluffy just somewhat retracted, maybe try the front corner of the tank? It's not flow because it definitely isn't getting blasted, your parameters are right where I have mine just about, only thing I could think about would be light possibly? Maybe it's getting too much

Sorry that pic was nine day ago. I can adjust the light more if needed atm it's 20in away from the light (10in of water + 10in above tank). If I move it to the front will I need to move my duncan?

Cencalfishguy56

Sorry that pic was nine day ago. I can adjust the light more if needed atm it's 20in away from the light (10in of water + 10in above tank). If I move it to the front will I need to move my duncan?

no it should be fine if you move it, frogspawn don't have long sweeper tentacles

I have one particular head of frogspawn that has two tentacles extend about two inches from the rest of the tentacles and stung my duncan lol. They may not be long but dang.

Is it possible it's not getting ENOUGH light?

What kind of tank is that?

Cencalfishguy56

I have one particular head of frogspawn that has two tentacles extend about two inches from the rest of the tentacles and stung my duncan lol. They may not be long but dang.

Is it possible it's not getting ENOUGH light?

if it wasn't getting enough light it would be stretching for light IMO

They were 6+ inches apart, now they are about 4"

Started out as a Deep Blue Professional 12x12x12 Rimless Cube, then a Bio-cube 8g filtration chambers. Added a Phosban 150 reactor running Phosban about a month ago. Light is 36w full spectrum par38 led for Amazon. Finishing up my DIY ATO currently.

flatlandreefer

I am having this problem as well. I have read that when it is getting ready to split sometimes it won't fully extend for a few weeks to conserve energy, is this correct?

Cencalfishguy56

I am having this problem as well. I have read that when it is getting ready to split sometimes it won't fully extend for a few weeks to conserve energy, is this correct?

yea and you should also see a bubble in the middle of its mouth, mine were retracted a bit but nothing drastic

They were 6+ inches apart, now they are about 4"

Started out as a Deep Blue Professional 12x12x12 Rimless Cube, then a Bio-cube 8g filtration chambers. Added a Phosban 150 reactor running Phosban about a month ago. Light is 36w full spectrum par38 led for Amazon. Finishing up my DIY ATO currently.

judging by your pic again I don't really see an issue, your frogspawn heads look nicely extended? But I could be wrong, can you get a closer pic?
flatlandreefer

yea and you should also see a bubble in the middle of its mouth, mine were retracted a bit but nothing drastic

judging by your pic again I don't really see an issue, your frogspawn heads look nicely extended? But I could be wrong, can you get a closer pic?

I checked to see if I could see a bubble but I can't see the mouth currently, I'll keep an eye out and see if there is one.

Cencalfishguy56

I checked to see if I could see a bubble but I can't see the mouth currently, I'll keep an eye out and see if there is one.

i tripped out the first time I saw my frogspawn splitting but it's cool, it may also be getting ready to split I can't remember lol I've been so busy I observe my tank maybe an hour a day
flatlandreefer

i tripped out the first time I saw my frogspawn splitting but it's cool, it may also be getting ready to split I can't remember lol I've been so busy I observe my tank maybe an hour a day

If it is splitting and you get a chance could you post a pic so I can compare. I'm curious to see the bubble in the mouth that you are talking about.

Cencalfishguy56

Current pic of frogspawn after being moved to the front of the tank

vCwXCoJ.jpg

X4reDbc.jpg

heres an old shot of mine

IMG_3141_zps1djcuu6y.jpg

Yours doesn't look to bad barely retracted of anything

If it is splitting and you get a chance could you post a pic so I can compare. I'm curious to see the bubble in the mouth that you are talking about.

yea for sure, if not I've seen pics if you search it up

Yours doesn't look to bad barely retracted of anything

Yeah it's doing better after being moved, was retracted more for like a week.

Agree it looks okay now.

Med to high light, low flow, decent water parameters, and sometimes mine appreciate spot feedings.

Archived