Top Shelf Aquatics

ATO Suggestions

ReefWeeds

Hey all - I recently upgraded my macro tank to a 55 gallon rimmed tank, no sump. Water level is set at the rim and I have no idea what ATO I can use on a tank with a rim. I thought the efins one I was using would work, but the problem is setting up a float switch with a magnet on a rim. I am running the smart micro ATO on my 10 gallon and love it, but again - I can't set the sensor up since the magnet doesn't hold through the plastic rim. I would need to drop the water level below the rim which I don't want to do (looks terrible). Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of ATO to use on a rimmed tank?

Could you fabricate a small bracket of some kind to hang on the rim and mount the ATO sensor on that? Seems like the cheapest solution would be to use the ATO you already have. Making a bracket would be pretty simple I think and it should prevent you from having to modify the ATO itself. I suppose the question is whether the internal magnet is submersible.

I would just say get a more powerful magnet - but you would need to test it out first as I'm not sure how a more powerful magnet would affect the functionality of the float switch. Maybe email the manufacturer to see what they suggest?

Finally - if you weren't planning to already it would be a good idea to hide the float switch in a film canister or something opaque with holes in it to prevent algae growing on it and also to keep critters out.

Could you fabricate a small bracket of some kind to hang on the rim and mount the ATO sensor on that? Seems like the cheapest solution would be to use the ATO you already have. Making a bracket would be pretty simple I think and it should prevent you from having to modify the ATO itself. I suppose the question is whether the internal magnet is submersible.

I would just say get a more powerful magnet - but you would need to test it out first as I'm not sure how a more powerful magnet would affect the functionality of the float switch. Maybe email the manufacturer to see what they suggest?

Finally - if you weren't planning to already it would be a good idea to hide the float switch in a film canister or something opaque with holes in it to prevent algae growing on it and also to keep critters out.

Great idea! Thanks AJ! Way more helpful than JBB

How about manual top off, Your Laziness?

LOL - I'm doing that now 3x a day! But I'm going out of town and I don't quite trust my mom, who is coming to take care of the pups and fishes to remember to top off regularly.

:slap:

:rant:

Bahaha!! Crap! I meant to type Jack!! Not JBB!!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/334747-almost-a-flood-jbj-ato-question/?p=4507730

Float is part of the dual switch kit from autotopoff.com , white pieces are just PVC caps (whatever size works for your application) tank clip is from a maxi-jet powerhead (it's in the bag of extra parts that everyone throws away)

This is awesome!

Archived