Cultivated Reef

Gaspipe's: Betta & Switch Tank

gaspipe1

Gaspipe's: Betta & Switch Tank

Background:

I have had freshwater fish as a youth and recently wanted to do a reef tank. So I told myself that if after 3 months of reading and learning from this forum I still have the desire I earned it. Well it's been about a month and followed closely a few of the vase tanks and just absolutely fell in love with them.

Current situation:

So seems that my daughter won a Betta at the town feast. So Sunday night I take out the old 1 gallon glass fish bowl, rinse it all out and prepare it for our new guest. This Betta is exactly what I needed to start the process to get my vase reef.

My goal is to begin buying equipment that the Betta needs today that will be transferable for the corals I wish to have tomorrow. I have noticed that many members keep their first post as a current list with updates so hopefully I will be able to do the same. Photos wil be posted

So here without further ado is my equipment list:

Tank specs

Tank:
1 gallon glass bowl

Lighting:

none

Filtration:

None

Heater:

Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater 50W (on order) None (too large for bowl)

Inhabitants:

Fish:

1 Betta (Bazar Specialty)

Live Rock and Live Sand:

Crappy blue aquarium pebbles

Water:

Tap Water w/Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus Water Conditioner & Dechlorinator

Just to be clear: you're not planning on keeping the betta WITH the corals, right? They'll be in separate tanks? Because the domesticated betta fish is a freshwater fish. Some wild type betta fish have been found to live in brackish water, but the one best suited to that environment is Betta mahachaiensis. Which is definitely not the kind of betta fish you'd get at a town festival. (And even if it were, there is a pretty big difference between brackish and saltwater.)

No I am NOT planing on keeping them together. My plan is to slowly buy the equipment I need and then get the vase I want. But thank you for checking :) and thank you more for reading.

Heater arrived this week but is too big for the bowl :furious:. Currently the bowl is at 75*

Do to the bowl being so small, I have decided that I would perform 50% WC twice a week. I figure that will help with water temps and waste. I use a turkey baster to first blast the plants and gravel. And then shoot the tank water into a cup.

Well the gig is up! Seems one of my two partners (my daughters) rat'd me right out and told my wife of my plans. She now knows that I wanted to use all this equipment for a reef tank.

My next goal is to have the wife find me a much larger vase to transfer the bowl. I'll then buy some sand that could be used for both.

I'll try and post a picture this weekend.

Question: Should I NOT be doing any WC since this is a new tank? I don't have any water test kits and wonder if it cycled.

Archived