SaltCritters.com

what first tank to start with

newtoreeftanking

newtoreeftanking

Hi guys I am In need of some help I don't know what kind of tank set up I should start with. I have been leaning a lot towards the aio kits like the jbj or coral life, but I want other opinions. I can only do a 20g at the biggest right now I don't have much room but Its been a dream of mine to own a salt water tank so I want to make this happen and soon. I have also watched a video on like a budget build with a 10g a hang on filter circ pump and heater are those kind of set ups ok to start with as well? Please help guys

Hi! I'm new to salt water too! We are hoping to upgrade our tank to a bigger one at the back end of next year, but we have started with a 15l TMC Aqua habitats pico. They say smaller tanks are harder work as it's a much smaller eco system but we have found this to be a great starter. The set up comes with the acrylic tank, a skimmer, a pump and a light, we did however upgrade the light as the original was no good for supporting corals. I think they retail for around £125 and they also do a bigger 30l tank which I probably would have gone for it I were to start again. Ours is big enough to have a little clean up crew, a green clown goby and corals but is not big enough to have any more/ any larger fish in. If you are wanting to start bigger then this will be no good but it's been great for us to learn about the many many facets of reefkeeping but on a smaller more affordable and maintainable scale before we eventually upgrade. Hope this helps!

ReefSafeSolutions

Check out the Innovative Marine 20g all in one tank. I'm a huge fan of all in one systems, pretty easy and the IM tanks look great. If you can fit a 20g system (probably 2 feet wide) check out the IM Lagoon 25...it's two feet wide, but comes out from the wall further. So if you have space that direction, it would be a great starter tank. Having that extra depth gives you a lot more freedom with your rock work.

The IM 20g is nice tank if you want an all in one. You can get an Ai Prime for lighting. It will cover 24" and a lot of ppl like the light.

You can also do a standard tank with an hob with no issue, many do that as well.

I have a 10g IM and a 15g with hob. I prefer the simpler set ups myself.

Cencalfishguy56

Hi guys I am In need of some help I don't know what kind of tank set up I should start with. I have been leaning a lot towards the aio kits like the jbj or coral life, but I want other opinions. I can only do a 20g at the biggest right now I don't have much room but Its been a dream of mine to own a salt water tank so I want to make this happen and soon. I have also watched a video on like a budget build with a 10g a hang on filter circ pump and heater are those kind of set ups ok to start with as well? Please help guys

take a look at the IM Nuevo fusion 20 or 10 or even the 25 lagoon! They are really nice starter tanks and the guys above have some inspiration! Check their build thread!

I just recently bought a fluval Evo 12 and I absolutely how nice it looks. All in one tank. Comes with all you need except a heater and protein skimmer. You can purchase those for not much extra.

Archived