Cultivated Reef

Do mandarins eat all types of pods or certain species?

GotamaHuy

I started my tank two months ago and when I feed my tank there are little critters swimming everywhere. They are very very small. I was wondering if mandarins will eat pods that Smallwood little dots? Are they the kind of pods they eat or do I have something else. I have a 40 breeder. I would wait a couple more month to consider putting one in there but there are so many of them and don't know if they would do anything to my tank of left alone.

I started my tank two months ago and when I feed my tank there are little critters swimming everywhere. They are very very small. I was wondering if mandarins will eat pods that Smallwood little dots? Are they the kind of pods they eat or do I have something else. I have a 40 breeder. I would wait a couple more month to consider putting one in there but there are so many of them and don't know if they would do anything to my tank of left alone.

HI! Check out the thread we have going on Mandarins. I was in the SAME spot as you since my tank was fallow for a few months. My tank is almost a year old. The sand and rocks were moving and I thought I could easily sustain a Mandarin- There were so many pods they were covering my rock. I purchased my Picassa and by week two the sand stopped moving. I dose a bag of pods a week and it is barely sustaining her. I am currently working on alternative methods. I would not get a Mandarin unless you work with a captive bred who is frozen trained. Algae Barn is about to start selling captive. I really wish I had this advice prior to purchasing mine!

That said there are plenty of more advanced people on our site that could recommend ways to keep a healthy Mandarin. My understanding is they should have a large mature tank. A few years not a few months.

Please know I am not saying this to sound like a downer am just passionate because of my personal experience. The last 2.5 months I have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to find a better system. I would be happy to share an additional info of you can check out our thread on it ;-) Best, Marianne

Pods are beneficial to a tank.

A Mandarin requires a lot of them to survive. Mandarins eat all the time.

Most would recommend a very mature, large system by experienced reefers.

Others would say - leave them in the ocean.

Its definitely something that one should research fully

Archived