SaltCritters.com

Strange Worm

AWillroth

Sorry but I do not have pictures, nor do I think I will be able to get any. I noticed a really bizzare worm in my pico reef when i flipped the lights on this morning. It was maybe a half inch long, very very skinny, see through, and segmented. As soon as I turned the lights on it swam from the back wall straight to the rocks. When I say swim, I mean swim, almost in a spiral/drilling motion, straight through the water column. Anyone have any idea?

Sorry but I do not have pictures, nor do I think I will be able to get any. I noticed a really bizzare worm in my pico reef when i flipped the lights on this morning. It was maybe a half inch long, very very skinny, see through, and segmented. As soon as I turned the lights on it swam from the back wall straight to the rocks. When I say swim, I mean swim, almost in a spiral/drilling motion, straight through the water column. Anyone have any idea?

Have no idea, and without pics I cant see how anyone could ID it for you. Just look at photos in books or online sites about marine worm identification and match it up.

Oh, sorry I asked a question..... I provided plenty of details, opacity, swimming behavior, segmentation, light reaction. Someone may have ha a similar experience and have some insight. Believe me, I am researching on my own as well as posting here...

Judging only by your description of its swimming, I'd say it's most likely an epitoke.

To put it plainly. It's a portion of some type of eucinid worm that separated from the worm for breeding purposes. Those are usually the "swimming worms" people see in their tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived